Class 1 Training provider - Volvo + Artic + London

I’m trying to find Training provider who offers Class 1 Training on Articulated Volvo with Auto gearbox within 50 mile radius around London?

kyk:
I’m trying to find Training provider who offers Class 1 Training on Articulated Volvo with Auto gearbox within 50 mile radius around London?

sorry just curious but why does it have to be a volvo?

nobodysdriving:

You are not alone! (Now doesn’t that sound creepy… :confused: )

Can you take your test in a auto then still drive manuals on your licence afterwards?
I know you can’t in a car.

ckm1981:
Can you take your test in a auto then still drive manuals on your licence afterwards?
I know you can’t in a car.

Only if you have a manual entitlement for a car already.
If you only have auto for a car then your HGV will also be restricted to auto.

nobodysdriving:

kyk:

Please why a Volvo?

I’m wondering if he recently read on the PD forum that volvo is the among the best of the auto gearboxes.

th2013:
I’m wondering if he recently read on the PD forum that volvo is the among the best of the auto gearboxes.

Or it’s a trainer with an Auto Volvo near London trying to get some free advertising…

th2013:

I was thinking the same, He is asking for artic, so maybe he drives a Volvo rigid. Personally I think you should be able to jump in any truck, but I agree when it comes to auto gearboxes, some are really not good.

If it’s just to learn in a truck with a good auto gearbox, he could also look for somebody with a later version Renault Premium, they have their own version of the Ishift called optidriver, and having driven both Volvo and Renaults, I can say it’s as good and has a feature or 2 I’d like on the I shift.

I drive Volvo rigid.

On daily basis anybody can drive any truck, but driving training and test is not the same as daily driving.
And if I pay my money for something I can at least try to choose… disregarding of reasons either they would be based on facts or just personal preference…

I agree about Renault having Volvo gearbox, but… Gearbox is good because it is the same Yes, but interior, control levers and all what’s around it is not as good… levers next to steering wheel are simply dumblydumbdesign…

What 2 features you find better in Renault?

So you train and pass in the best vehicle available, then what? You get a job driving a Mercedes Actros with a notoriously bad gearbox, then what do you do? Will you be able to handle it?

Maybe you could consider learning in a bad vehicle, then whatever is thrown at you should be a breeze by comparison. If you think you can handle it, why not learn in a manual? The further you push yourself at the start, the easier you’re likely to find life later on. Otherwise you may struggle in the real world after you pass.

Hi Kyk, Thanks for the explanation, you just had us wondering why it had to be Volvo with Ishift, I can fully understand why you’d want to learn to drive an artic in something with a familiar feeling, although I’m pleased you say you’ve driven some other stuff.

The first auto I drove was an FH with Ishift, I then changed jobs and start driving a Premium with Optidrive, yes it does take a little getting used to after having the stick on the seat, but I don’t think it’s any worse on the steering column, it’s just what you get used to. Since then I’ve changed jobs and for the last 4 years I’ve been driving a Volvo FH with Ishift.

Both gearboxes are way ahead of any other auto I’ve driven DAF and MAN and the points on the Renault are so minor they’re almost insignificant but I like them.
One is it doesn’t drop the cruise control if you use the engine brake to bring the speed back to the set cruise speed, and the other I’ve only learned about is that you can go from Forward to Reverse without going into Natural, never tried it though as I was told that a little while ago by a Renault Salesman who was trying to sell us a new T Range. But like I said both points are very minor and I can’t fault the Volvo Ishift.

Hi
There’s a company down Eastleigh, Hampshire that run Volvo FH13 with i-shift gearbox (automatic), triaxle 40ft curtainside trailer, that’s if your prepared to travel that tad further… depends in London where you are, but its approx. 70miles according to googly maps

Mail - enquiries@by-pass.co.uk

by-pass.co.uk/courses/lgv-training.html

Hope this helps…

Swampey2418:
Hi
There’s a company down Eastleigh, Hampshire that run Volvo FH13 with i-shift gearbox (automatic), triaxle 40ft curtainside trailer, that’s if your prepared to travel that tad further… depends in London where you are, but its approx. 70miles according to googly maps

Mail - enquiries@by-pass.co.uk

by-pass.co.uk/courses/lgv-training.html

Hope this helps…

I did my ADR with By-Pass but didn’t take that much notice of the Artic.
It looked in good nick, but didn’t register it was a Volvo…

They were a good friendly bunch of guys there, so you should be OK with them.
I THINK they do a free assessment drive!

(I’d have probably done my Class C there, but I was already booked up on a residential course with Peter Smythe)

Can’t beat a Volvo FH iShift, proper truck, just got a brand new Montracon trailer for it, hence no signwriting - you have to drive this truck to understand how well it drives, its amazing!

Tockwith Training:
Can’t beat a Volvo FH iShift, proper truck, just got a brand new Montracon trailer for it, hence no signwriting - you have to drive this truck to understand how well it drives, its amazing!

Nice

Tockwith Training:

I’ve already been thinking about you, but you are almost on the other end of the island… :smiley:

Tockwith Training:

that looks nice!:slight_smile: