Class 1 test.

Hi folks,
well just got the dreaded news got my class 1 test date on the 27th of this month,
don’t like the idea im in a class 2 daf with a 17ft trailer start training on the 21st just the hitching part that worry’s me. any advise :blush:

sweeper1gg:
Hi folks,
well just got the dreaded news got my class 1 test date on the 27th of this month,
don’t like the idea im in a class 2 daf with a 17ft trailer start training on the 21st just the hitching part that worry’s me. any advise :blush:

Listen to your instructor

Which training school have you chosen ?

Ribble valley hgv.

Hitching up a WnD is a lot more precise than an artic. The pin has to be spot on target to engage.

That really is the only downside to learning on WnD. If the combination is set up well then the trailer will follow the unit without much cut in.

Reversing is not about using full lock but small steering movements.

Best of luck with your training and test.

sweeper1gg:
Ribble valley hgv.

No member has of yet given them a recommendation here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667#p503949 - so perhaps you will be the first to do so

Your questions might be better answered by the LGV trainers that frequent the newbies forum of this site

ROG:

sweeper1gg:
Ribble valley hgv.

Your questions might be better answered by the LGV trainers that frequent the newbies forum of this site

I won’t take any offence at that.

#■■■■■■

dar1976:

ROG:

sweeper1gg:
Ribble valley hgv.

#■■■■■■

EH !! - was that last comment aimed at me and if so why because all I suggested was that the OP might get more answers for training issues in the newbies forum :confused:

dar1976:
Hitching up a WnD is a lot more precise than an artic. The pin has to be spot on target to engage.

It’s just the same all you need to do is line up the sides of the prime mover with the sides of the trailer in the mirrors and it’ll be spot on or at worst central enough for the coupling to guide the eye of the drawbar into place.If it’s an A frame it’s possible for the drawbar to be sitting at a different angle to the trailer in which case it’s just a case of making sure that the sides of the prime mover are lined up with the wheels of the dolly.

just the hitching part that worry’s me.

The most common problem with w+d coupling/uncoupling is remembering to raise the pin on the truck. I suggest you raise it as soon as you leave the truck to check the trailer. Then, as part of your trailer walk round check, make sure you apply the trailer parkbrake. It should already be on. But you must get hold of it and check.

Next problem comes if you don’t reverse up to the trailer precisely - as dar1976 has said. It’s easy enough to do if you line up the rear of the truck with the front of the trailer (assuming they are the same width). If, for any reason, the coupling doesn’t engage straight away, give it some enthusiastic rock on the clutch. Then check it again. If it’s still acting stupid, fully raise the pin and drive forward - no more than 12 inches. As you drive forward, the pin will drop. You must remember to re-set it. This is the bit people forget in the panic and stresss of the situation. The reason for the 12 inches maximum is so you can see what you need to do to make it engage. Could be height, could be just out of line. Any further away and it becomes more difficult to see.

Having said all that, the trailer will generally couple up without any great issue.

Listen to your instructor and good luck.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Forgot to mention that clattering into a lowered pin is a serious fault - fail. Such joy!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks people for all your help and i will keep you informed. :wink:

ROG:

dar1976:

ROG:

sweeper1gg:
Ribble valley hgv.

#■■■■■■

EH !! - was that last comment aimed at me and if so why because all I suggested was that the OP might get more answers for training issues in the newbies forum :confused:

After I’d given a perfectly good answer. Or are you saying my answer was wrong or irrelevant?

My comment still stands.

Good luck, you’ll be chuffed to bits when you pass!!