CLASS 1 TEST

Hi there, im taking my class 1 test on Saturday am, but im still having problems with the reversing excercise after 3 days training.
As my test looms, I was wondering if any of you guys had any advice? I seem to be doing the forward driving ok so far but its just the reverse, I keep making an ■■■ of it.
Can anyone help?

Explain in what way your are having problems.

Also try searching back on this forum.

The matter is frequently discussed.

There isn’t a magic formula, just take it slow and easy… Remember you get two shunts - so if you are unsure then better to take those and get the minors than fall down on the reverse.

G

Oh, and welcome. :laughing:

Manners. :blush:

There will be advice of all kinds and you will run the danger of overloading your mind with too much information which will only make your nerves worse. Try to keep things in perspective and remember you will not fail your test for taking your time. Simplify the exercise, for example if your trailer is in your mirror and you don’t want it there then steer towards it. Good luck Rasta and welcome to Trucknet. :wink:

Welcome to TruckNet UK Rasta
and good luck with the test :smiley:

Who you doing your training with Rasta :question: And where r u from in Glasgow :question:

Just take your time and listen to your instructor.You ain’t timed on the reverse so no rush. :wink

:Welcome to TNUK

only advice i can give is forget the two shunts that in theory your “allowed” in reality if you use them the examiner will not be confident and you may well have to do the rest of the test perfectly to stand a chance of passing.
take every thing nice and steady including pulling up to the start cones (very important), the further to the left you are the easier it is, quick hands on the first move right hand down, you get that bit right and you’ll miss the middle cone by a mile, it’s a dodle from there on in, small movements of the steering wheel is all you need and remember your not on the clock, a slow reverse looks a thousand times better than a shunt.
good luck.

With all due respect Paul b I passed my test by using my shunts and it may not be a good idea to put undue pressure on people who are feeling nervous enough. I don’t know where you took your test but as far as I am aware you are allowed two shunts and if you need them use them, I am sure that an examiner would rather see a driver displaying observation skills and caution when reversing rather than a merenary attitude and losing precision.
I do however agree with taking your time and your starting position will make all the difference to the exercise.

As has been said before, just take your time, there is no time limit on the excercise.
When you are going backwards, just travel on tick over, no need to use the gas, 1 less thing to worry about.
I was also taught to only use a quarter of a turn on the wheel at a time (once you have made the first turn to pass the cone) e.g. assess, turn wheel no more than a quarter of a turn, assess, adjust etc. Going back on tick over you will have plenty of time to do that.

And the most important bit of advice if it looks like its going pear shaped:-

Don’t be a ■■■■■ take a shunt - Jason, Qualitas training

Ladytrucker679:
With all due respect Paul b I passed my test by using my shunts and it may not be a good idea to put undue pressure on people who are feeling nervous enough. I don’t know where you took your test but as far as I am aware you are allowed two shunts and if you need them use them, I am sure that an examiner would rather see a driver displaying observation skills and caution when reversing rather than a merenary attitude and losing precision.
I do however agree with taking your time and your starting position will make all the difference to the exercise.

With all due respect Ladytrucker679 :laughing: , Paul is right. You will be given a mark for “control” for each shunt you take. 3 marks on the same category and it’s game over.

Rob K:

Ladytrucker679:

With all due respect Ladytrucker679 :laughing: , Paul is right. You will be given a mark for “control” for each shunt you take. 3 marks on the same category and it’s game over.

With all due respect Rob K, It depends on how you use your shunt, I took a shunt on both my class 2 and class 1 and on neither occassion was I marked down for control. when I asked the instructor, he said it was because of the way you took the shunt.

Semtex:

Rob K:

Ladytrucker679:

With all due respect Rob K, It depends on how you use your shunt, I took a shunt on both my class 2 and class 1 and on neither occassion was I marked down for control. when I asked the instructor, he said it was because of the way you took the shunt.

Maybe his pen had run out.

Thanks for the advice, got it most tries today and looking better, Cheers.
Im doing my training with Ritchies! im from Croftfoot.
Thanks again

Ladytrucker679:

i’m not saying better to make a bollox of it rather than take a shunt but you’ve got to put yourself in the examiners shoes, he’s never seen you drive before and he’s going to be your passenger for the next hour, during that hour of which the reverse exercise is the first, he wants to see you can handle the wagon before you take him out on the open road which is why you do the reverse first. now, he knows as a driver that the reverse isn’t difficult not near as difficult as what you might come up against if he gives you the license so he’s hoping to stand back and watch you do it perfectly, yes in the rules two shunts are allowed but if you’ve got the thing pointing in the wrong direction as if you’ve not got a clue he’s going to be inclined to not want to give you a pass from there on in.

paul b:
i’m not saying better to make a [zb] of it rather than take a shunt but you’ve got to put yourself in the examiners shoes, he’s never seen you drive before and he’s going to be your passenger for the next hour, during that hour of which the reverse exercise is the first, he wants to see you can handle the wagon before you take him out on the open road which is why you do the reverse first. now, he knows as a driver that the reverse isn’t difficult not near as difficult as what you might come up against if he gives you the license so he’s hoping to stand back and watch you do it perfectly, yes in the rules two shunts are allowed but if you’ve got the thing pointing in the wrong direction as if you’ve not got a clue he’s going to be inclined to not want to give you a pass from there on in.

Now this I do agree with, your examiner is not expecting you to handle the wagon as if you have 20 years experience but it is beneficial not to look terrified of it. You are not the first newbie your examiner has seen and he will be experienced enough to know whether you are displaying observation and control. There is nothing wrong with taking a shunt to be double sure of accuracy but obviously trying to fit the trailer in the cones sideways whilst decorating your axles with cones will be frowned upon.
I thought I had failed my class 1 on the reverse and tho mortified I then relaxed and enjoyed the drive, thinking all was lost you can imagine my joy and suprise when I was told I’d passed. Maybe I would have [zb]ed up the drive if I still thought I was in with a chance. :open_mouth:

Rob K:

Suprisingly enough Rob it is possible to be in control whilst taking a shunt but it is true that valuble marks can be lost on the reverse exercise and simple mistakes easily become a serious.

Semtex:
And the most important bit of advice if it looks like its going pear shaped:-

Don’t be a [zb], take a shunt - Jason, Qualitas training

This is, as far as I am concerned THE Most valuble piece of advice I have ever been given in my driving career and it does not just apply to your test, keep it with you. My partner still counts how many shunts he takes (maybe it’s a man thing! :open_mouth: ) but as far as I am aware there are still days you couldn’t get straight on a bay if you try all day and others that you could reverse all the way round London (usually when no-one is looking! :wink: ). Trying to line it up first time puts undue pressure on you and when you fail all you succeed in doing is further undermining your confidence as you get more experience, bad day’s get further apart and your confidence grows but the only way to achieve this is practice.

I’ve never taken a test and I’m horrified at the thought of an hour under such pressure but in 40 odd years of dragging some kind of trailer around I think the most valuable advice when reversing and use of the wheel is ‘little and often’. Leaving it too long between corrections can be too late. Oh and if you have a choice of trailer the rule is the longest is the easiest, they go off line slower.

However, before someone shouts me down, I’m talking about the best way to do the job, maybe passing a test is a different skill. :wink:

Best of luck for Saturday.

Salut, David.

Spardo:
Oh and if you have a choice of trailer the rule is the longest is the easiest, they go off line slower.

I know what you mean. I remember the days trying to reverse 20ft skellies when I was on boxes. You’ve never seen the steering wheel move so fast :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .