Class 1 test in a wag and drag

hi iam looking to book my class 1 this month i was going to do it at the place i did my class 2 in there daf cf artic but i found an ad in my local paper for a training school that is much cheaper but the lessons and test will be done in a class 2 wag and drag will this be harder than doing it in an artic ? : :open_mouth: ?:

I don’t think it will be any more difficult, but what you have to ask yourself is how many W&D’s do you see compared to artics, and what are you likely to be driving when you have passed?

Chewyboy:
the lessons and test will be done in a class 2 wag and drag will this be harder than doing it in an artic ? : :open_mouth: ?:

Not harder - just different and therein lies the problem…
They act differently going forward and especially backwards.

Ask yourself this - What is the TYPE of CE that I will most likely be driving on my very first CE job?
Your first CE will have enough differences from the one you trained in as it is, so would you want to have any added pressure on your first day?

I notice that Smart Mart has said the same whilst I have been composing this :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Many others have said the same in other posts on this site

The training tips for CE ARTIC are contained via the link in my signature below :bulb:

Don’t do it, take it in a proper artic.

It maybe much cheaper mate, but as Rog as said your first c+e job will most probably
be in an artic. So then you will have to pay for a refresher course in an artic after passing
in your Wag and Drag, so it does’nt really work out much cheaper mate. I too passed
my c+e in a wag and drag in sept 2008, and am currently looking at doing a refresher course
in an artic. I do wish i had taken mine in an artic the first time around. Good luck with whatever u
decide matey, and good luck on the Big day! let us know what you decide and how you get on! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

Wayne.

mrpj:

Definitely - My first Class 1 job was in a Volvo FH12 with a 45 ft trailer and that’s enough pressure without not having driven one before. Also I found it easier to sign up to agencies when I told them that I had passed my C+E in an artic :wink:

m4rky:

mrpj:

I have to agree 100% with everyone else do it in an artic it will be alot easier to get a start, not worth saving a few quid doing wag and drag

Artic 100%.

I passed in an artic…our wagons are wag nd drag…had to learn ( teach my self ) how to drive all over again,as has been said totally different going forward,easier in fact,but going back :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Simon :sunglasses:

As has been said, do the training in the artic. I passed in an artic and have driven W&D and would say it’s easier going from artic to W&G instead of the other way round.

Cheers for the advice think im gonna do it in an artic as thats what ill be driving when i pass. i just hope i can pass first time im fairly confident have driven artics in the yard and i used to drive a farm tractor with an artic trailer. so just gotta keep my nerves in check on the day any other advice on what to look out for would be most welcome also would like to hear from anyone who has took there test at gillingham :smiley:

Chewyboy:
have driven artics in the yard and i used to drive a farm tractor with an artic trailer

As you know the principals behind trailer reversing then you will have a head start.

I have a suggestion which may or may not be welcomed by your CE instructor and is what I did.

I had been a night shunter for 12 months a few years prior to doing my Class 1 HGV (now CE).

I asked my instructor to show me what he wanted me to do by demonstrating it and then I asked him to leave me alone whilst I tried it without any assistance at all.

I got it first time and every time after that so all I ever did on the practise pad was to do the first and last reverse - my training oppo had the rest of the time on the pad - good job the weather was nice as I had to sit on the grass :laughing:

If the saving is decent enough it may be worth going down the W+D route and using the money you save on some artic lessons after you pass.

Then you will have experience of both!

Just my opinion… I’m probably wrong!

Warren T. Claim:
If the saving is decent enough it may be worth going down the W+D route and using the money you save on some artic lessons after you pass.

Then you will have experience of both!

Just my opinion… I’m probably wrong!

Not a bad idea if finacialy viable - could do the artic loaded as well :bulb:

I know of one school that does exactly this - C, CE (W&D) then post CE test a loaded ARTIC all in one price (I think) but a little more than the average overall C & CE price…