Class 1 test fail

Evening all.

Work are putting the class 2 lads through their class 1’s atm, one went for thier test in Nottingham had 1 minor for indicators but when pulling onto a dual carriageway saw a gap enough to join it without impeding other traffic.
But when he joined the carriageway the car already on the carriageway flashed him on the examiner saw this and put this as a Serious and failed him.
He said I had already looked at the gap was enough to pull out wwithout being flashed I ,he told the instructor he couldn’t believe it either.
He is thinking of appealing but not sure if he will get anywhere.

He wont get anywhere pointless really ,the best he might get is a retest but it wont alter the result ,might as well just move on

Feel sorry for him drivers do that every day, sadly can’t get away with it on your test. :frowning:

Forgive ignorance on this but … If he’s already got the gap, indicated he’s joining carriageway and not impeded anyone, he’s got a serious because someone in a car flashed thinking being helpful?

Surely the examiner must have known he was commencing the manoeuvre and the flash was just a confirmation by another motorist that he understood that the truck was joining the dual carriageway especially as he told examiner he knew about the flash? I was told by my trainer ( one the few occasions he spoke! ) that if another motorist flashes or signals you to do something then you can explain to examiner your not relying on them but have made your own determination it’s safe to proceed but you have acknowledged the gesture?

Very harsh to fail if another motorist is trying to be helpful but his actions haven’t caused any change to your intended manoeuvre.

By all means vent your fury,but you wont get anywhere with it.I was failed twice in the same vehicleaccording to the paper work it was a Volvo then the second time the thing had morphed in to a Bedford.Its an unfair worldout there.

He did explain he saw the flash but he judged the gap enough to join the carriageway, bit of a bum deal tbh but as said dont think appealing will do any good.

Hopefully be a re test soon as 1 minor on his first test is ■■■■ good.

until we are tested by a machine unfortunate as it is human interpretation will always play a large part in any test just move on you cant win

Sounds harsh. But no point in appealing. All that gets you is another test. The decision is final.
I failed my class 1 first time with 3 minors and 1 serious. I had taken a corner a bit too sharp and the trailer wheels went upon the kerb. I was so focused on trying to get them off the verge,and so nervous about being on a test,that I forgot I was entering a roundabout. A quick check to see car approaching was turning left and thought id got away with it. But I forgot to check for traffic on the roundabout till I looked in my mirror to see all the traffic sitting on the roundabout going “what the [zb] are you doing ya muppet”. Oops :blush: . I got lucky I didnt cause an accident and deserved to fail for that one. But your mate sounds like he’s been hard done by.
1 minor is pretty good going so he should prob just put it behind him and take another stab at it

bjd:
He wont get anywhere pointless really

+1

alamcculloch:
By all means vent your fury,but you wont get anywhere with it.

+1

i am sure they are targeted to fail x amount either way!

the fan belt went on mine so i informed the examiner ( rather than blow the engine which i did conisder), he got out and called for a taxi! i explained that my dad had his truck parked up a mile away but oh no its easier to get a taxi.

mind you on the next test he was sound.

best thing he can do is forget about the fail and go into the next test knowing that he knows exactly what he’s doing

Daytrunker:
Evening all.

Work are putting the class 2 lads through their class 1’s atm, one went for thier test in Nottingham had 1 minor for indicators but when pulling onto a dual carriageway saw a gap enough to join it without impeding other traffic.
But when he joined the carriageway the car already on the carriageway flashed him on the examiner saw this and put this as a Serious and failed him.
He said I had already looked at the gap was enough to pull out wwithout being flashed I ,he told the instructor he couldn’t believe it either.
He is thinking of appealing but not sure if he will get anywhere.

So if he’d not gone the examiner could have failed him for undue hesitation…what a ■■■■

Thats the thing about a driving test, what to do, do i go because I think its safe, or stop to be on the safe side, and then fail for being hesitant, at the end of the day its a decision one has to make, and hopefully the examiner sees it the way it should be.

truckyboy:
Thats the thing about a driving test, what to do, do i go because I think its safe, or stop to be on the safe side, and then fail for being hesitant, at the end of the day its a decision one has to make, and hopefully the examiner sees it the way it should be.

One of the things I dreaded on test was approaching a green traffic light. If that thing starts changing at the last second it’s a lottery… make the decision to carry on through on amber and some examiners will fail you, others will fail you for harsh braking or whatever coming to a stop. Just depends how they see it.

rob22888:

truckyboy:

One of the things I dreaded on test was approaching a green traffic light. If that thing starts changing at the last second it’s a lottery… make the decision to carry on through on amber and some examiners will fail you, others will fail you for harsh braking or whatever coming to a stop. Just depends how they see it.

Most would fail you if you went through on amber as amber means stop :wink:
I know what you mean though. Approaching lights on green on your test is a bum clenching experience

Yeah green lights …eek. I had a top notch instructor who said “Green lights are more dangerous than red ones. Approach slowly. At a certain point say to yourself ‘I’m going through’ and never change your mind once you take the call”. It seemed to work.

Regarding the OP that is just really rotten luck. The examiner has you either way - you aren’t allowed to be seen to respond to a flash (as it technically means a warning in the fantasy highway code world), you aren’t allowed to unduly hesitate, and there isn’t a right answer.

Should be an easy pass next time though.

M

If he got flashed when he joined the carriageway, was the car driver not flashing to show his displeasure?? Maybe he joined when he shouldn’t??

ajt:

rob22888:

truckyboy:

I know what you mean though. Approaching lights on green on your test is a bum clenching experience

Talking out of your bottom me thinks!

Amber means be prepared to stop.

NewLad:

ajt:

rob22888:

truckyboy:

Talking out of your bottom me thinks!

Amber means be prepared to stop.

amber means stop

AMBER means
‘Stop’ at the stop
line. You may go
on only if the
AMBER appears
after you have
crossed the stop
line or are so
close to it that