Class 1 Reverse video

So it’s been a while but I’ve finally got around to doing my class 1 training.

I got this video to watch on you tube. I thought I would share since it might help someone else out there.

youtu.be/zZGk-Gs_Hv0

Hope the linky works!

Is it necessary to do full lock one way, then the other? Dunno if it’s something you need to do for a test but just seems like making more effort than is needed?

I don’t know but all the training videos I’ve seen do this.

Anyway considering that I have never reversed any kind of trailer before I seem to have put this one to bed. Sometimes I got them straight in, other times I needed to use a shunt which I don’t mind as long as I get the reverse done.

I’m knackered now lol.

Wasn’t knocking it mate, whatever gets you through in my book is good, just wondered if it’s always the way.

Not sure Andy

Maybe one of the instructors on here could answer your question maybe.

As I recall, the full lock is necessary because there’s a cone in the middle of the park that you’ve got to get around as part of the “S” reverse. If you don’t put the full lock on pretty much as soon as you get going you risk hitting that cone (which you’re pretty well blind on). You then need full opposite lock to bring the trailer back around to straighten up for the end bay.

The box is a standard size, and the cones are all positioned in pre-determined places, so whatever test centre you’re in it is exactly the same manoeuvre. That means you can choreograph it rather than learn to ‘feel’ it, but of course this means you still have to learn real reversing once you’ve passed and are out in the real world.

Might not quite be what you’re looking for, but here it goes. Unfortunately this wasn’t on the internet when I did my test but I’d say it would of helped me some what. Each to their own though…

As said somewhere before (you have to ignore Jason’s slightly annoying personality but nicer to see than a moody slob)

youtube.com/watch?v=_EkoMib4q4Y

Enjoy

Seeing that 2nd clip I wonder what the current standards are for “maintaining an all around lookout”? (about min eight).
Anyway seems useful. I found being left alone for an hour on an old airfield without the instructor looking over my shoulder a big help. After suitable basic training I found that helped with confidence, and doing some “deliberate errors” put the lessons into perspective.

Fine for the test…
However when you go for an assessment remember to have the second steer on the ground.
When you have broken the contact between the pin and fifth wheel lower the unit air suspension to settle the trailer legs onto the ground.
Pull out slowly and then re set the unit ride height.
Always go and collect the number plate…you are checking that the trailer has picked up no defects since you coupled up to it.

When you couple up it’s the opposite, use the unit’s air suspension.
Assessors will bin you if you just slam under the pin.

The very good advice that you might overlook is…
Always take a step back, make sure the legs are down and the suzies are disconnected, it takes two seconds to check but you will avoid a world of pain over the years if you always do it!

Sorry, but I don’t find these videos helpful. I would far rather train someone from scratch rather than have to undo some of stuff that is found on utube.

Same with the coupling/uncoupling.

Just cos it’s on internet doesn’t mean it’s correct.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: