Class 1 passed :D

Passed C+E several weeks ago thanks to the expert guidance of Nick at Peter Smythe Transport Training, first time pass but 10 minors. After a few days of working at PSTT as a yardman/shunter/cleaner type person Mr Smythe (for it was he) was kind enough to sort me out with my first proper full-time job driving artics :smiley:
I’m now working for a firm that supplies turf all over England and i’m driving an automatic Volvo FH12 460 with a short curtainsider trailer and a Moffett on the back.
Thoroughly enjoying it so far, even though it involves a fair bit more physical labour than your average LGV driving job and it’s always a distinct pleasure to see the looks on peoples faces when i pull up outside their homes in my artic :slight_smile:
Anyway, thanks again Peter, cheers

Ducpusher:
Passed C+E several weeks ago thanks to the expert guidance of Nick at Peter Smythe Transport Training, first time pass but 10 minors. After a few days of working at PSTT as a yardman/shunter/cleaner type person Mr Smythe (for it was he) was kind enough to sort me out with my first proper full-time job driving artics :smiley:
I’m now working for a firm that supplies turf all over England and i’m driving an automatic Volvo FH12 460 with a short curtainsider trailer and a Moffett on the back.
Thoroughly enjoying it so far, even though it involves a fair bit more physical labour than your average LGV driving job and it’s always a distinct pleasure to see the looks on peoples faces when i pull up outside their homes in my artic :slight_smile:
Anyway, thanks again Peter, cheers

Nice one fella and that shunting’s gonna come in handy too hat off to Mr Smythe too

I have never promised to find anyone a job. But I have developed a way of employing newly passed drivers in our yard to shunt, clean, run errands, take vehicles to main dealer for maintenance, transfer vehicles between our Mansfield base and our new operation at Peterborough. There is only one job so if there’s someone doing it, hard luck! But if it comes up as you pass your test, you’re in the running for it. It’s a bit of experience to put on the cv. Also puts me in a position where I can properly recommend the driver having seen them work outside the training environment.

These lucky people are also perfectly placed when we get the occasional call from a local operator wanting a driver.

It’s a nice, old fashioned, win win.

The OP is the first to have gone through this system and it certainly worked for him. A full time, permanent job driving artics (having learned on drawbar) within a couple of weeks of passing his test. Well done that man!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Congratulations!! and don’t worry about the minors - a pass is a PASS! :grimacing: enjoy it!

That’s a bloody good idea Pete, wish a few other places did it

Update: today, Ducpusher’s replacement has got a full time class one job with a large national chain. Approx £28k.

So yet another youngish and inexperienced driver has got a job.

And we have a vacancy for a yardman!!

Well done all. Pete :laughing: :laughing: