Class 1 or class 2?

Hi all , I found this site a while ago and the amount of information available is fantastic. It’s really helped me with a many things ive not known or understood in the industry so thanks very much.

I’ve just had my provisional back and booked my theory and hazzard perception test.
I’ve thought about driving for a career off and on for about 10 -15 years now and now the kids are old enough for my lass to be happy to be on her own a lot more I feel now’s the time.

With all the rule changes coming in it’s got me thinking about what route I should take to get there. Long term I want to drive the class 1 tankers (purely because I think they look amazing on the road ). Couldn’t care less if it was hazardous loads or not but I’m well aware I’m not gonna fall into a job like that at first.

I’ve only got car / van and motorbike experience on the roads , never driven anything “big” but I can reverse park a caravan or trailer without much hassle.

My question to all is should I take my class 2 first and get a bit of experience under my belt before I try for my class 1 or not?
Ultimately I don’t want to drive rigid’s , but they’ve obviously been the stepping stone for so long. Before the rule changes I had in mind a couple years doing class 2 , do some ADR training to go towards my cpc and then see if anyone would take me on to tankers

It seems many drivers of artics say they are easier to manoeuvre than a rigid once you are used to the size

What would you think the chances of getting straight into a class 1 job with zero trucking experience ?

Thanks for your opinions
Ste

I would go direct for CE especially as you have the reversing knowledge

Like ROG said. But only if you’re feeling confident. Otherwise, at least a few hours training on CAT C . Then move on to CE.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I did my class 2 to get to the class 1. Only because I had to at the time.
Not sure if I’d go straight to class 1 given the chance, as I didn’t have that available, it didn’t need a decision.
I walked straight into a class 1 job with my new licence, been a steep learning curve, but thoroughly enjoyed it.
14 months on and I can nearly reverse it as well.