Class 1 for new driver

Hello guys.

I’ve had my class 2 licence for 4 years now. I passed my class 1 back in last June. I’m now bored of class 2 work and easy to move onto class 1.

Has anyone got any advice/help with where to look and company’s to avoid. I was thinking about asking DHL. Are they good for a class 1 starter

Oh by the way I’m based in Langley (berks)

Thanks, Ross

Try getting yourself a (Level D operative certificate) while on class 2, if you havent got it yet. That will allow you to tip at Heathrow. After that, having a class 1 you will have plenty of choice in your area. Average hourly rate for class 1 with level D working out of Heathrow is about £20 but is not impossible to find £24/h for that job nowadays. Company wise I have no experience with DHL, unless something changed tho, working with them out of Poyle they’d put you through your Level D, but given your locality you will have plenty of options for that. Another area that is a good bet around you is the aggregates and asphalt sector. You have Aggregates Industries near terminal 5, Cemex by the honda roundabout between Colnbrook and Langley, Tarmac and Conway oposite each other in Hayes, not to mention the numerous quarries and other asphalt plants of west London (there you are spoiled for choice). You will definitely need another ticket too, a MPQC but the last time I checked most employers would put you through that. It is an easy job with class 1 (but which isn’t?), you will mostly do aggregates and every now and again some big roadworks, 99% of the time if on roadworks it will be motorways, a piece of cake… (there is one company in Iver with trucks running out of nearly every asphalt plant in London, it is called Glengall)
My sincere advice tho would be that regardless, to get a job that first forces you to reverse with precision multiple times a shift. So you will basically get paid to master reversing. And secondly, a job that also gets you to drive in urban traffic, preferably London. It will enhance your skills and everyone will look at you bit differently when on interviews. I once got a job that was asking for 2 years experience on class 1, but I only had 6 months experience. It was 6 months, going anywhere and everywhere in and around London plus docking about 2 to 4 times a shift on those “very spacious” local distribution centres of London tho. By the way after the experience, you can always apply for that class 1 gig that pops up every November to January around the corner from you, paying £30/h for normal hours and extra for weekends and/or nights. The Royal Mail Heathrow depot out of Iver/Langley, on agency.

osark:
My sincere advice tho would be that regardless, to get a job that first forces you to reverse with precision multiple times a shift. So you will basically get paid to master reversing.

Seconded. One of my first jobs on agency on class 1 was 3 months shunting in a yard so small you couldn’t leave a ■■■ packet width between the trailers. Sorted me out for life. Where I’m at now they do a warehouse to drivers training scheme and once they’ve passed their test they’re put on shunting for 4/5 weeks for the very same reason before they’re sent out on the road.

You’ll be utterly crap at the start wondering if you’ll ever get it but by the end there won’t be anywhere you can’t put a trailer if it’ll physically fit.

Yeah that’s why I was also thinking supermarket work for a bit if I can get on it as there will be a lot of reversing onto bays.

I used to be on the skips was quite good fun. I’m currently doing removals which it’s very hard Graft and I’ve had enough of it now haha. And it’s all over London and home county’s so some very tight roads. But i want to get away from London driving now.

Ideally I would love to eventually do STGO but you need quite a bit of experience for that. Also near where I am you get a lot of film work but they want 2years class 1 experience

I done a bit of airport work but not airside in an 18 tonne class 2 and I found you spent half your time waiting for bays. And all the driving was very short distance 10/15 from depot to Heathrow load and back again. Maybe airside is more interesting.

I know when you fist start out you can’t be two picky. Just don’t want to jump into something and regret it