Class 1 Driving Test

This has probably been covered before, but I’m fairly new on here, so here goes… :smiley:

I took my class 1 test 6mths ago and passed, my main gripe is the lack of practicle instruction.

I learnt in a 4x2, day cab, with a twin axle 10m flatbed trailer, the test was taken in the same lorry with no weight on, you could see through the rear window and across the trailer when reversing. My 1st job/lorry? A 6x2 44t night cab with 45’ curtainsider! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

My 1st haul up the road, with 16gears & 44t total weight, was scary :angry: and I can assure you that the drivers seat was grabbed several times and NOT with my hands :blush:

If it wasn’t for you guys and girls on here, I think I may have quit by now. :sunglasses:

I seriously think that the test should at least be taken with a full sized, boxed trailer and some weight on. Instead of answering stupid questions on road signs etc. you should be given advice on general trucking (I have only just found out, that when you wind the legs down, there is a low gear!!! :open_mouth: )

But best of all, I haven’t quit & a big, big, big thanks to all on here for your help & tips etc :smiley: :smiley:

Still learning but, getting there slowly :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right:

Cheers again

John

I’m wth you on that one. My sum total reverse training was 1HR that included the time spent on the test!!!

I agree that though it is nice to go on and drive the big rigs and fo these schools to teach you in the easiest allowable wagon and drag units available, I do feel that there needs to be some way of preparing new or newly passed drivers on some of the more difficult manouvers :confused:

What is the answer? In an industry short of drivers do you make the test harder or the learning more realistic…?

There is a guy here on Trucknet that hopes to change all that by training people in a proper truck with a proper load doing a proper Job!!

but… they are Guys that would say its hard enough to pass a UK Class1 with nerves and other muppets on the road, so why not make it as easy as possible?

Maybe the answer is when new drivers hit the road proper, all employers should use them as 2nd men until they have the experiance pulling a full load!!

That goes for class 2 also!

Not my opinion… just a possible answer!! :open_mouth:

You hit the nail on the head. It is difficult to pass the test, and it should be bearing in mind you are driving what is effectively a 44 tonne killing machine in the wrong hands!! Employers don’t have the resources or so it would appear to run two drivers and if they did how long would you be an apprentice?
I still think the training should come from the teaching school

cornish trucker:
(I have only just found out, that when you wind the legs down, there is a low gear!!! :open_mouth: )

:laughing: :laughing:

I bet you thought you’d broken it :smiley: I found that exact same thing out the hard way too. I couldn’t understand why the handle was turning but the legs weren’t doing anything. I assumed the teeth had sheered and belled the gaffer up and he got the rental company out to fix it, or should I say, put the handle in the correct position for normal winding :laughing:

Rob K:
I assumed the teeth had sheered and belled the gaffer up and he got the rental company out to fix it, or should I say, put the handle in the correct position for normal winding :laughing:

ROFLMFAO

how about another part to the test…where you would have to take a fully laden rig out… with split box …etc etc

What hasbeen more annoying, are the little essential things they don’t even mention, such as-

the low gear on trailer legs
how to change the position of the 5th wheel on your own
how you have to distribute weight evenly on trailer
(how expensive msa’s are :smiley:)
the list goes on & on…

I’m NOT saying make the test harder, make it more everyday practical

cornish trucker:
What hasbeen more annoying, are the little essential things they don’t even mention, such as-

the low gear on trailer legs
how to change the position of the 5th wheel on your own
how you have to distribute weight evenly on trailer
(how expensive msa’s are :smiley:)
the list goes on & on…

I’m NOT saying make the test harder, make it more everyday practical

little tip,dont leave the winder in the nuetral position as it will creep down
tip two, dont move the 5th wheel
tip three, one pallet after another
tip four, if your on a tenner an hour MSAs are not expencive

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: £10 / hr !!

If only, I am on £5.50/hr, due to my alleged lack of experience (even though I drove coaches for years), I get no parking money as such, if I want to park in an MSA, it comes out of my overnight money & I can’t afford that!

No one will take me on who pays a sensible wage, even though I am prepaed to work away from home. :frowning:

i dont want to start something here, but what is overnight money for, if not to pay for the expenses of being out overnight?
its not a little tax free bonus for being away all week.

paul

Paul, I agree 100% with you, on the overnight money, however, due to the low wages, I rely on this tax free bonus to make up my wages.

I have noted that some drivers do get o/n money + parking.

John

cornish trucker:
Paul, I agree 100% with you, on the overnight money, however, due to the low wages, I rely on this tax free bonus to make up my wages.

I have noted that some drivers do get o/n money + parking.

John

You’re dead right. If you choose to work for an employer than expects you to pay for overnight parking out of night out allowance then you’re mad :exclamation:

Night out money to me (when usually consists of a meal allowance too) is to help pay for a meal and the rest is money for being away from home sleeping in a wagon. Money for parking is a totally separate issue and if you choose to park up at an MSA then the gaffer should pay for that on top too.

Quick :question: for Cornish Trucker, have you found anyone round here that pays more than £5.50 ph? Thats all I get with time and half after 40 hrs. My night out money is my own though - the firm refunds the parking costs. I also did some time on PSV work.

flatbedman:
i don’t want to start something here, but what is overnight money for, if not to pay for the expenses of being out overnight?
its not a little tax free bonus for being away all week.

paul

Its not necessarily tax free, but yes it is a bonus for not being home in your own bed at night. It shouldn’t be for parking charges as you can be taxed on it. If your boss dosn’t pay parking on top (which is a tax write-off for him), then don’t park in places where you have to pay, ie use laybys etc. When your curtains get slashed and the boss complains, tell him you can’t afford to park in secure places and need to sleep so can’t be a securit guard all night.

simon, i disagree, its not a bonus for being out all week sleeping in the truck, its expenses to cover the cost of a meal and lodgings, ie: parking!
if one relies on night out money to suppliment their income, they are fooling themselves.

paul

flatbedman:
if one relies on night out money to suppliment their income, they are fooling themselves.

paul

Why is that :question: I disagree that you should pay for parking out of your night out money. I am of the opinion that night out money is paid because you are away from home and sleeping in your wagon and I will also add that I do do nights out to boost my income too. I don’t have a problem with that.

However, I’ll retreat back to my corner and await the same flaming and slagging I got on another thread for holding an opinion and strong beliefs on something just because the majority who replied didn’t agree. :confused:

rob, you are entitled to your opinion on why you get paid night out money, but call it what you will, its to cover expenses, not because you are away from home all week, if you dont have a sleeper cab you can claim more money than if you do!
this is not a personal attack on you either, ( i kept my mouth shut about the OTHER postings) i have my own opinions on that.

paul

Night out money is to cover personal expenses though. I would say that parking charges where company expenses not personal.
If your overnight money is over a certain amoun, roughly £18/night (different tax area offices can set their own limit), you pay tax on it. If your boss includes the parking fees in your overnight money, you could well end up worse off after tax.
Parking fees, if you work for a good company, are paid by the boss (that doesn’t mean that a company which pays parking is a good company).

Simon:
Night out money is to cover personal expenses though. I would say that parking charges where company expenses not personal.
If your overnight money is over a certain amoun, roughly £18/night (different tax area offices can set their own limit), you pay tax on it. If your boss includes the parking fees in your overnight money, you could well end up worse off after tax.
Parking fees, if you work for a good company, are paid by the boss (that doesn’t mean that a company which pays parking is a good company).

Agreed.