Class 1 course starts in the morning

I left driving about 4+1/2 yrs ago, was on class 2 work back then, decided to go back to driving and taking my class 1 this week.

Bearing in mind I’ve got plenty of class 2 experience, has anyone got any tips for the transition from 2 to 1?

Also be handy if anyone knows of any companies in the Norwich area that are taking on drivers? Long shot but worth an ask.

End of day 1 and I have to say I’m very happy with how not only me but both of us got on. Neither of us had touched a kerb by midday so the instructor took us both through the toughest corners on the test routes…by the end of the day the kerb count was still nil.

Both managed the reverse 1st time, showed us an uncouple and we will be doing that tomorrow.

I wasn’t sure how today would go having not driven a truck for over 4 years but the hardest thing about the day was getting 5th gear to go in.

Mark @ East Coast Driver Training, Norwich is a great instructor and I’m looking forward to tomorrow!

Lofty83:
has anyone got any tips for the transition from 2 to 1?

I reckon you can now answer that :smiley:

Yes thanks ROG it went much better than I had imagined.

There’s a good chance the 5th gear issue can be cured by slowing down more. Possibly down to 10mph. Many trucks suffer with this as they pick up miles but this normally deals with it.

Good luck. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
There’s a good chance the 5th gear issue can be cured by slowing down more. Possibly down to 10mph. Many trucks suffer with this as they pick up miles but this normally deals with it.

I found that blipping the throttle and/or double-de-clutching also cured the problem

Thanks for the advise guys il see how I get on today.

I passed this afternoon with 1 minor fault…well chuffed!

congratulations and a fine score to boot

Jennie:

congratulations and a fine score to boot

Thanks Jennie. Had to take a small shunt on the reverse but he didn’t mark me down for that at all, sun was right in my mirrors so maybe he had some sympathy.

I have to say I would recommend East Coast Driver Training to everyone! Was a great week, a good laugh and Mark was an excellent instructor!