Class 1 Booked! Any tips?

Evening everyone,

As the title suggests, my class 1 course is booked for next month, and just wanted some tips on how I should adjust my driving style. I’ll be taking it in a two axle artic and have been driving class 2 for nearly a year and I’ve had plenty of practice un-coupling and re-coupling trailers (the shunter in our yard was more than happy to show me the ropes).

Everyone I’ve spoken to at work has said that going from C to CE is much easier than going from a car licence to HGV, do you guys agree? Or am I going to totally have to re-learn how to drive with a trailer behind?

Above all listen to your trainer.

Take what they tell you and put it into practice when driving your car.

Smooth driving means less wear less stress and less fuel, and if you get it right it’ll mean less stop go.

Oh and RELAX enjoy the drive.

As Nick said really listen to your trainer and keep it steady and take your time don’t rush it,if you feel it’s getting away from you,slow down deep breath and relax,worst thing is to try and rush to keep pace with the trainer.
Yes going from C to C+E is easier than car to C you are already aware of taking wider turns and dealing with numpty car drivers and enjoy it.

More to the point pass first time summers coming see more in an artic Legwatch is on the up as the rather nice lady in a mini on the M56 earlier proved,skirt was rather short she looked up smiled and pulled it up a bit more,got to love the job sometimes lol :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: .

I agree that it’s less of a step of a step up and therefore an easier test. And as above; listen to trainer, keep it slow, relax, and if possible, enjoy it! :smiley: If you’re had a bit of reversing practice in your yard, you’ve probably got the biggest hurdle already cracked…

Best of luck!

The shunter won’t let me reverse unfortunately xD

ConorStephen:
The shunter won’t let me reverse unfortunately xD

Tight git! :imp:
Or maybe in their defense, a tight yard…

But the test reverse isn’t that hard, yes you will mess it up a few times. The important part is staying calm and working out where you are going wrong and correcting, and it will come… Just be try to be confident and have a positive attitude about nailing it! :smiley:

Put a ripped dirty hi viz on, and reverse the trailer either into a wall, or another vehicle.

Folk will assume you are an agency driver and not notice a thing.

eagerbeaver:
Put a ripped dirty hi viz on, and reverse the trailer either into a wall, or another vehicle.

Main thing id say is just relax and enjoy the training. Yes reversing is different, however listening to your instructor and driving the trailer backwards helps.

eagerbeaver:

Oh bitchy bitchy… you know there are agency ( I like to be called freelance or Casual ) drivers out there that do drive and perform work duties to a higher standard, than some of the full timers…

This from someone who lowered his standards to work for the green machine…lmao

Swampey2418:

eagerbeaver:

Oh bitchy bitchy… you know there are agency ( I like to be called freelance or Casual ) drivers out there that do drive and perform work duties to a higher standard, than some of the full timers…

They isn’t in Hull… :unamused:

We don’t get agency drivers at our place, I doubt any agency driver would want to try recovery xD

yt03:

Swampey2418:

eagerbeaver:

Oi speak for yourself pal! :grimacing:

Relax Swampster.

I am also erm…’ freelance '. Just like to throw a little bait in the water from time to time.

Captain Caveman 76:

yt03:

Swampey2418:

eagerbeaver:

Hmmmm surestaffing?? Plenty of jobs out there though?? We got sent one today from them a Polish lad… He got asked if he’s okay with the unit and trailer and the work we do’ he said I’ve never driven a unit with a trailer on before lol needless to say he got sent away!

yt03:
Hmmmm surestaffing?? Plenty of jobs out there though?? We got sent one today from them a Polish lad… He got asked if he’s okay with the unit and trailer and the work we do’ he said I’ve never driven a unit with a trailer on before lol needless to say he got sent away!

Sounds like a good lad, he was honest! :smiley:
No comment on what I think of the agency that sent him though! :unamused:

Evil8Beezle:

yt03:

Sounds like a good lad, he was honest! :smiley:
No comment on what I think of the agency that sent him though! :unamused:

Cowboys that’s what they are… 93k unit and 35k trailer alot easier to stand a wagon up for a day than claim for that on insurance!!

yt03:
Cowboys that’s what they are… 93k unit and 35k trailer alot easier to stand a wagon up for a day than claim for that on insurance!!

In that case probably a good idea, but isn’t the fault here with the agency, and not the driver? I suspect that the driver went there in good faith, and if he was honest with the client, it’s more than likely he was with the agency!

Yes he needs experience, but how is he going to get it? A decent agency would have given him some advice on this…

Evil8Beezle:

yt03:

In that case probably a good idea, but isn’t the fault here with the agency, and not the driver? I suspect that the driver went there in good faith, and if he was honest with the client, it’s more than likely he was with the agency!

Yes he needs experience, but how is he going to get it? A decent agency would have given him some advice on this…

Yeah deffinetly the agencies fault, I hope the lad still got paid a days wage’ got up at daft o clock for no reason… Same as employment though there’s good and bad uns

yt03:

Captain Caveman 76:

yt03:

Agree with E8B, agency shouldn’t be sending out unsuitable candidates.
Hang on, I’m a FTW now. Agency drivers? Stupid limping lorry crashers the lot of em!! :grimacing: :grimacing: