Class 1 at 18 (no restrictions)

Just read that the legal age an LGV licence can be obtained has been lowered from 21 to 18, in a move which will open up a talent pool which operators can draw on. :confused: :confused: :confused:

The age drop was part of the new driver CPC legislation which came into force earlier last year. The change has been met with mixed reaction from the industry with claims that the move will be costly to operators having to cover incresed insurance premiums.

However, supporters say the move will make more potential staff available to companies trying to find drivers, and make it a more attractive career prospect.

The age was lowered across the European Union to try and encourage more people into the industry.

Can anyone tell me if this is part of the ā€˜young driver schemeā€™ as the legal info i am getting says it is not anymore. How crazy is this situation going to be with 18 year olds with no experience competing with established drivers? This is also not connected with the military scheme.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

I think its a joke, Im 21 and passed my class 1 in September last year. When i herd it was lowered to 18 i felt a bit cheated that i had to wait an extra 3 years then as soon as i pass my test the age was lowered, But now im thankful it wasnt, as i look back when i was 17,18 and the things i used to do in my car i would never even dream of doing now, i look back with embarresment. The key point i think is that some young lad could possibly get behind the wheel of a 50ft fully freighted 40T artic with only 1 years experience in a car on the public highway :imp: :imp: Deaths waiting to happen!!! but will employers actually take on an 18 year oldā– ā– ?

i doubt they would, because of the insurance cost. even car insurance at 18 is a lot of money (my 998cc mini cost me Ā£1600 third party), so i dont know what it would be like on anything else.

tiger65:
Can anyone tell me if this is part of the ā€˜young driver schemeā€™ as the legal info i am getting says it is not anymore.

Correct - the YDS is no more - it has been replaced by the Initial driver cpc although an NVT route can be done for 1 year.

NO DRIVER CAN DRIVE LGV COMMERCIALLY UNLESS THEY HAVE A DRIVER CPC - EITHER INITIAL OR BY GRANDFATHER RIGHTS

THE DRIVER CPC EXPLAINED IN THE FAQ FORUM

charliebear:
i doubt they would, because of the insurance cost. even car insurance at 18 is a lot of money (my 998cc mini cost me Ā£1600 third party), so i dont know what it would be like on anything else.

Just about to put my nephew through this as an apprentice. Training is fully funded by the goverment all the way to class 1, and the insurance company will only charge a small premium.

Wonā€™t be letting him loose with anything bigger than a six wheeler to start with though, needs to build experience up before iā€™ll allow him out in an artic!!!

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome N14ERF :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

N14ERF:
Just about to put my nephew through this ā€¦

Then your nephew may like to read thisā€¦
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

N14ERF:
as an apprentice

Is that the NVT route which involves a trainee, a trainer and an employer?

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

ROG:
. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome N14ERF :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

N14ERF:
Just about to put my nephew through this ā€¦

Then your nephew may like to read thisā€¦
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

N14ERF:
as an apprentice

Is that the NVT route which involves a trainee, a trainer and an employer?

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Yes, nvt. Had first assesment today with WTTL today to start the registration process, has been given a lot of basic material to do and looks along the lines of the yds that i did many years ago!! Seems a sensible approach to take, and i suggest more people take a close look to dispel the fears that i can quite rightly understand they have.

Weā€™re going to keep a close eye on what heā€™s doing, we do all farm work and as most know some places can be a little tight to get too:wink:

I think this is worthwile thing to do as we all need to be given a chance and shown some faith.

N14ERF:
Seems a sensible approach to take

It is BUT most cannot get an employer to do this - your nephew is very lucky.
He will have 1 year on this NVT to get his C, Initial driver cpc and CE - he will not need to pass the initial driver cpc in order to drive LGVs under this scheme but will be required to pass it before the year is up.

It is the nearest thing to the old YDS where a young LGV trainee/driver can get proper realistic on job training and constant guidance.

my son passed his car test in december, took his class c last week and passed, and has his c+e test tomorrow, now fair enough he is doing this while in the army , not to sure i would want to let him loose in an artic :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
just want to wish him luck for tomorrow :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

peteandbrenda:
my son ā€¦ took his class c last week and passed,

E-mail this to himā€¦

:smiley: :smiley:

ROG:

N14ERF:
Seems a sensible approach to take

It is BUT most cannot get an employer to do this - your nephew is very lucky.
He will have 1 year on this NVT to get his C, Initial driver cpc and CE - he will not need to pass the initial driver cpc in order to drive LGVs under this scheme but will be required to pass it before the year is up.

It is the nearest thing to the old YDS where a young LGV trainee/driver can get proper realistic on job training and constant guidance.

Just think people need to take a proper look beyond their misconceptions, insurance amazed me because theyā€™re having a laugh with his car premium. We need to encourage young people into this job or weā€™re going to have very real problems not to far away.

As for cpc, heā€™ll need an adr for our work so that will leave just 14 hours to be done, and at this time any training has to be a good thing, even if the cpc does seem fairly pointless!

tiger65:
Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Yes, I have one. The licence cost you X. Then they added new elements of the course, which cost you Y.

Many long-time working older people struggle to find money to do HGV course, now it becomes even more expensive.

How on earth itā€™s ā€œmaking entry to the industry easierā€? Off course is not.

Therefore I guess all 18 yo guys will have to seek for some financial help to gain this documents. And they will be off course granted some, as you have to help young people to find jobs, blah blah blah.

I think it wonā€™t be as easy to get finance when you are older. So instead of training new HGV drivers from the guys who, for example, drive transit vans for years, they will take on complete newbiesā€¦

I canā€™t see any sense in that.

unless your family own a buissness forget about getting a job till youre 30 plus.

N14ERF:
Training is fully funded by the goverment all the way to class 1, and the insurance company will only charge a small premium.

Wonā€™t be letting him loose with anything bigger than a six wheeler to start with though, needs to build experience up before iā€™ll allow him out in an artic!!!

Its amazing how young people can get funding, Iā€™m 36 and I enquired about funding to do my lgv whilst I was unemployed and was told nothing was available!
and knowing how hard it can be to find work when youve just passed at my age, I cant imagine how hard it will be at 18!
just seems the government are willing to spend millions to qualify drivers who have very little chance of finding work, yet refusing to help those who have a more realistic chance.
Maybe its a ploy, qualify young drivers who are more inclined to break the law or show off and recover the money through huge fines.

How long will it be before an extra break must be taken in order for the driver to change his nappy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Why do we need to encourage young people into this industry?
Employers cant keep the people they have got due to the poor conditions, low pay, long hours culture, endemic in Transport.
What we have here is a bureaucratā€™s misguided view that if you throw someone elseā€™s money at something, you get a result.
The result here is that the taxpayer stumps up money for large quangoā€™s like Skills for Logistics to get millions to create training schemes free for employerā€™s.
The same employers who lobbied the last Tory Goverment to abolish the Road Transport Industry Traning Board (R.T.I.T.B.) because they paid a levy to fund training!
The same employers who, during the alleged driver shortage, went to Poland to find a solution to their troubles.
The same employers who dont seem to understand that their drivers are sick of camping in lay-byā€™s due to a lack of safe parking places. Not to mention the employers who wont pay for parking at all!
So why encourage young people into this industry?
Because they dont really know what is happening inside, and until they find out, they have a pool of employees they can use.
But will they keep them, that is the question?
Some they will, most, however, will move on while they are young enough. Good luck to them!

Alex

Apart from the driving aspect, some individuals have difficulty driving a Vauxhall Corsa, this industry will encroach on their leisure time. They will not like working evenings, early mornings, weekends etc