Clarification on working time after my 45 min break

I find it difficult to find reliable and precise info on working time without trawling through pages of boring .gov info.

I know about rules on first 15/30 break, I have been told to simplify by colleagues and just take a 45 as close to my working/driving time which resets everything.

(I know that if I am going to go over 9hrs driving I need to take 45 beforehand which allows me another 1hrs driving time up to twice a week).

I tend to do a lot of travel so regularly go over 12hours, at what point do I need to worry about taking another 15 if any? I quite often panic and end up taking a 15 before I get back to the depot.

…so to clarify, if I start at 6am, take my 45 11:45-12:31 when should I take another 15 if I continue working past 18:31?

I do have driver trainers where I work but I’m a bit embarrassed at keep asking these questions as I’m sure they’ve told me but I need it written down as I forget. :blush:

Thanks!

BusManSi:
…so to clarify, if I start at 6am, take my 45 11:45-12:31 when should I take another 15 if I continue working past 18:31?

If your 45 minute break ends at 12:15 you will need to start a 15 minute break no later than 18:15 or a 45 minute break before exceeding 4.5 hours driving time, whichever comes first.

Alternatively you could make life a bit more comfortable for yourself and split your breaks, the 6 hours working time and the 4.5 hours driving time are limits not targets.

Have a read of these threads and see if it helps.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 3#p1924193

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5#p2230335

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … &p=2111048

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

It really isn’t the same for everyone because the work may different and the arrangements for getting paid for breaks may not be the same everywhere, but it sounds as if you have it pretty much spot on.

I work on the basis that when I get back I don’t want to be worrying about a break when I am doing my finishing duties at the end of the shift, so I will stop somewhere away from the depot and take a break. In the end it may not have been strictly necessary to take the break, but I feel it is justified if going to be getting within an hour or so of the six hours.

Then again I do get paid for additional breaks as required. If I wasn’t paid for additional breaks I may split my rest 15 then 30 minutes so that I am not getting near 6 hours at the end.

I generally take my first break of 45 around halfway through my contracted hours and then if doing an overtime shift of 11-13 hours or so I will usually take another 15 minutes. I sometimes do this in reverse if I want to get a drop done but the six hours limit is getting in the way, so the 15 minutes and then 45 minutes in that case.

If I am going to double break (two 45s), I generally know in advance, so will try and split the day into roughly equal parts, generally not going near 4.5 hours driving at any point and thinking about which services to stop at as options before leaving.

BusManSi:

12:31 to 18:31? You’ve identified the 6 hours continuous period, so you know the answer that your 15 min break has to start before 18:31. Don’t doubt yourself.

stu675:

BusManSi:

12:31 to 18:31? You’ve identified the 6 hours continuous period, so you know the answer that your 15 min break has to start before 18:31. Don’t doubt yourself.

Something I’m always guilty of! :unamused:

tachograph:

BusManSi:

If your 45 minute break ends at 12:15 you will need to start a 15 minute break no later than 18:15 or a 45 minute break before exceeding 4.5 hours driving time, whichever comes first.

Alternatively you could make life a bit more comfortable for yourself and split your breaks, the 6 hours working time and the 4.5 hours driving time are limits not targets.

Have a read of these threads and see if it helps.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 3#p1924193

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5#p2230335

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … &p=2111048

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

Thank you, very helpful.

Noremac:
It really isn’t the same for everyone because the work may different and the arrangements for getting paid for breaks may not be the same everywhere, but it sounds as if you have it pretty much spot on.

I work on the basis that when I get back I don’t want to be worrying about a break when I am doing my finishing duties at the end of the shift, so I will stop somewhere away from the depot and take a break. In the end it may not have been strictly necessary to take the break, but I feel it is justified if going to be getting within an hour or so of the six hours.

Then again I do get paid for additional breaks as required. If I wasn’t paid for additional breaks I may split my rest 15 then 30 minutes so that I am not getting near 6 hours at the end.

I generally take my first break of 45 around halfway through my contracted hours and then if doing an overtime shift of 11-13 hours or so I will usually take another 15 minutes. I sometimes do this in reverse if I want to get a drop done but the six hours limit is getting in the way, so the 15 minutes and then 45 minutes in that case.

If I am going to double break (two 45s), I generally know in advance, so will try and split the day into roughly equal parts, generally not going near 4.5 hours driving at any point and thinking about which services to stop at as options before leaving.

Awesome, at least I know now that I’m getting it right, cheers!