Clarification for split daily rest

Now, with all these years under my belt,I still have to ask a dumb question :smiley: I am having to undertake a job three or four time’s a week where I spend at least four hours a day on break and waiting for to unload. These days normally run into long days of over 13 hours duration, at least fourteen hours. Can the periods of rest taken waiting (asleep!) Be taken with a nine hour rest later as a split break, and if so how many times a week? This is something I should know I appreciate, but I’m in thick mode at the moment!

As long as it’s an uninterupted break of at least 3 hours you can split your Daily rest everyday of the week.

Wait for the why would you want to though posts

Yes. As said first part needs to be at least three hours uninterrupted rest and secind part at least nine hours, all within a 24hr period and this can be done every working day of the week.

Terrific! Thanks lads.

Confirmed what they say, mate. I love those days (hourly paid on the clock :wink: )

Me too. This looks like it’s going to be regular drop for the next few days…or weeks, cheers!

IMG_20180221_150316661_HDR.jpg

Can someone explain to me the practical use of a split daily rest, other then resetting your driving hours you still have to be finished after 15hrs of your start time right? I’ve never used it and can only imagine it being of use at the end of your working week, as essentially you’re taking an 11hr rest…

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

jason25130558:
Can someone explain to me the practical use of a split daily rest, other then resetting your driving hours you still have to be finished after 15hrs of your start time right? I’ve never used it and can only imagine it being of use at the end of your working week, as essentially you’re taking an 11hr rest…

Split rest of 3 hrs plus 9 hrs counts as a full rest I believe, so it can be used every day. 9 off every night.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

jason25130558:

Split rest of 3 hrs plus 9 hrs counts as a full rest I believe, so it can be used every day. 9 off every night.

Ok that makes sense if what you are saying the 9hrs is actually considered as 11hrs, so essentially a benefit to the company then not the driver lol.

jason25130558:

Franglais:

jason25130558:

Ok that makes sense if what you are saying the 9hrs is actually considered as 11hrs, so essentially a benefit to the company then not the driver lol.

If drivers hourly paid and gets paid breaks, it benefits him too. 15 hour max per day.

Captain Caveman 76:

jason25130558:

Franglais:

jason25130558:

If drivers hourly paid and gets paid breaks, it benefits him too. 15 hour max per day.

True… Another question then, can you be told to take a split or asked, as with a reduced daily, I understand that’s the drivers decision and can not be made to reduce.

Companies can legally plan for reduced rests but drivers have the last say on safety so if the driver feels that they need more time for rest to be safe to drive then that is what they take

If the company insists other then get it in writing on headed paper stating they are over-ruling safety - they will not do that as it breaches safety laws

They could fire you as their last resort = Your choice - safety or job if it comes to that

jason25130558:

Forget 15 hours, that used to be called spreadover when we still had a dot on the TV

A split rest is 3 hours followed by 9 hours which as mentioned can be taken every day of the week, both those rest periods must be taken inside a 24 hour period starting when you commence duty.

Captain Caveman 76:

Unless you’re a total greedy ■■■■, breadline skint…, or both, who tf in their right mind wants to work 15 hours every day.

Apparently Rob…quite a few…i voted out on that one, and only take an 11 mate… :smiley:

robroy:

Captain Caveman 76:

Unless you’re a total greedy [zb], breadline skint…, or both, who tf in their right mind wants to work 15 hours every day.

In principle Robroy, I’d agree with you. But if you’re “living in your tin can” for the week anyway, plus 3 hours of that day is dozing on the bunk AND you’re getting paid for it all, I can see why some might find it an attractive option.

Personally, I think you’d have to be nuts though.

But if the OP is going to be doing this for weeks as he said what happens to WTD hours, it would play hell with your averages.

robroy:

Captain Caveman 76:

Unless you’re a total greedy [zb], breadline skint…, or both, who tf in their right mind wants to work 15 hours every day.

I generally do 3x15 and a 13, I might as well earn money on my 4 on 4 off that sit for hours on end on my bunk watching telly or reading. An added bonus is, keep money to spend on my four days/five nights off :wink:
okay, I lied, more money for “her” to spend :laughing:

3 wheeler:
But if the OP is going to be doing this for weeks as he said what happens to WTD hours, it would play hell with your averages.

Any time recorded as break doesn’t get included in WTD calculations.

3 wheeler:

I do seem to manage about 60 hours weekend rest between finishing Friday evening and starting Monday morning. I can also ‘arrange’ (cough !) various doctor and dental appointments, plus the odd family commitment on a friday afternoon or monday morning to further extend weekend rest periods when needed !