Clamp down on lanehogs

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -lane.html

About time they brought this in over here, they have been doing it in france for years

really annoys me when people overtake me then just sit in the middle lane for miles on end, anyone would think lane 1 was booby trapped or something

I agree as long as the police don’t just target lorry drivers.

Careless drivers face on-the-spot fixed penalties

Yippee…:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Hope they target dumbass car drivers that have never heard of the Highway Code…!!!

Now you’ll have even more dawdlers in lane 1 but its a good thing keeping it proper.

What ■■■■■■ me off most is the Numpty’s on an empty motorway, sitting in the middle lane at 54.5 mph.
You see 'em 2 miles in the distance & slowly reel them in, then just as you are undertaking them, they put their foot down to 56 mph for a couple of minutes ! Then the game starts again ! Grrrrrrrr !

When I’m on the Bandit, I go across from lane 1 to lane 3 then all the way back into lane 1, just to prove a point. Funny as F(zb) when there’s 20 of us on bikes & we overtake/undertake @ ‘70’ mph. (Don’t half wake 'em up !)

martinviking:
What ■■■■■■ me off most is the Numpty’s on an empty motorway, sitting in the middle lane at 54.5 mph.
You see 'em 2 miles in the distance & slowly reel them in, then just as you are undertaking them, they put their foot down to 56 mph for a couple of minutes ! Then the game starts again ! Grrrrrrrr !

When I’m on the Bandit, I go across from lane 1 to lane 3 then all the way back into lane 1, just to prove a point. Funny as F(zb) when there’s 20 of us on bikes & we overtake/undertake @ ‘70’ mph. (Don’t half wake 'em up !)

I see 4x4 drivers on some kind of “fuel economy drive” by sitting there doing just under your limiter speed… If you are going fast enough to pull out into the middle lane, they’ll 'kin accererate by 2mph so you’re high and dry and have to drop back in behind, when they’ll slow up again.
:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:
Never mind road hogs. I’d ticket every bugger driving a 4x4 anywhere except the country which is supposed to be where they’re designed for. :angry:

I had one the other day coming back from my mates. 4:30am not one single vehicle for as far as the eye could see and a car sat there at 65mph glued in the middle lane. Why do they not realise? :confused:

MLOC (Middle Lane Owners Club) publish these rules, and clearly some people believe them to be true!

MLOC Motorway Information Page

Introduction

Driving on the motorway can be a perrilous and frightening experience and should generally be avoided if you can reach your destination via the country’s much safer network of A and B roads. Occasionally motorway travel is unavoidable. This page provides the information you need to sucessfully negotiate the country’s most dangerous road type

Lane Discipline

Most motorways have 4 lanes, each lane has a designated purpose. Upon entering the motorway you should get into the correct lane immediately.

Picnic/breakdown Lane - This lane can be used if you need to stop for any reason, such as a car breakdown or the grandchildren needing lunch.

Lorry Lane - This lane is reserved for goods vehicles. Cars are only permitted to use it when joining or leaving the motorway and only for the purposes of getting to or from the Car lane

Car Lane - All cars and vans, including cars towing caravans must use this lane at all times

Hard Shoulder - This lane is reserved for emergency vehicles only

Motorways with odd numbers of lanes

Some heavily congested motorways are given an additional lorry lane in order to speed up deliveries to Somerfield. These are inserted between the normal lorry lane and the car lane, so remember to move across one more lane if you find yourself on such a motorway

Some motorways have one less lane than normal. In these circumstances you must occupy the rightmost lane. Since there is no lane for emergency vehicles they must share the car lane and give way to cars

Joining a motorway

All motorways have slip roads to allow motorists to queue without causing congestion on the rest of the road network. The speed limit for slip roads is 30mph and strictly enforced at all times. The following procedure should be used when joining a motorway

Drive to the end of the slip road and stop
Wait for a gap of at least 50 feet between lorries. Be aware that some car drivers illegally use the lorry lane so what appears to be a gap may actually contain a car. By law they should move out of the way once you begin to merge but often they fail to do so
Pull into the gap. The lorry behind will slow down to allow you to enter the motorway
Move into the car lane. Other cars will make room for you once you start moving
Congratulations, you have completed one of the most skilled and challenging manouvres possible on todays roads

Driving on a motorway

Driving on a motorway is relatively simple. So long as you stay in the car lane all other vehicles except Transit vans must give way to you. The speed limit is 60mph but do not worry if you are uncomfortable at this speed as it is a limit not a target. Concentrate on finding the correct exit as follows:

All exit information signs are preceded by three 100 yard warning signs. Keep an eye out for these signs and you will never miss a junction. Note that the signs are often hard to see due to the lorries undertaking you. Under no circumstances should you use the lorry lane in order to get a better view of the signage.

Signs on gantries can safely be ignored. They are for lorries only, this is why they are so high up

Leaving a motorway

Once you have counted down the three 100 yard markers and read the junction information sign, do the following

Consult your map. The junction sign will list a number of towns. Find the junction on your map that is closest to all these towns
If this is the junction you want, move immediately into the lorry lane
Remember the speed limit on slip roads is 30mph, you must slow down to this speed before entering the slip road. Lorry drivers will be expecting this and will make room for you
Move into the slip road and leave the motorway

You see them everyday, 54- 59 mph, mustn’t do over 60, that’s dangerous, hands clamped to the wheel with white knuckles, straight ahead stare oblivious to anything around them. Usually a Honda Jazz (stupid name) late model.

The sooner they start ticketing these people and putting advice slips in with the road tax renewal the better.

We’ve had to put up with these rolling road blocks for far too long :imp:

Rant over.

Cold compress would be nice, matron :laughing: :laughing:

all sounds good but how many police cars do you see now on the motorways unless the hatos will be given new powers

What some lorry drivers may want to take notice of is the mention of tailgaters, who will also face a possible £100 fixed penalty and three points :smiley:

fred kelly:
all sounds good but how many police cars do you see now on the motorways unless the hatos will be given new powers

I think you’ll find there’s quite a few unmarked police cars on motorways these days.

look out national express drivers :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

tachograph:
I agree as long as the police don’t just target lorry drivers.

Careless drivers face on-the-spot fixed penalties

I agree lets hope idiotic car drivers get what they deserve not all tho

What i dont understand is why so many people ■■■■ about on the motorways in this country, people seem to think its ok to sit in the middle lane doing 65 then move out in to the fast lane still doing 65mph holding everyone up… Why dont these people speed up ffs, its perfectly safe on a quiet mway to sit at 80mph and getting a ticket for doing 80mph when safe to do so is unheard of!!

Saaamon:
What i dont understand is why so many people ■■■■ about on the motorways in this country, people seem to think its ok to sit in the middle lane doing 65 then move out in to the fast lane still doing 65mph holding everyone up… Why dont these people speed up ffs, its perfectly safe on a quiet mway to sit at 80mph and getting a ticket for doing 80mph when safe to do so is unheard of!!

How will these people save their weekly tea spoon of fuel doing that though? Think man :stuck_out_tongue:

Saaamon:

I think you’ll find that plenty of people have had tickets for doing around 80 on quiet motorway.

We really do need to get away from this idea that people don’t have a right to drive at a speed they’re comfortable with, driving is about interacting in a safe manner with other road users, if someone doesn’t have the skill or patients to interact in a safe and considerate manner with people who choose, for whatever reason, to drive a bit slower than some other drivers, they shouldn’t be on the road.

maga:

Saaamon:

How will these people save their weekly tea spoon of fuel doing that though? Think man :stuck_out_tongue:

And this is the root cause of the problem!! In the past 4-5 years everyone has slowed right down thinking that is the way to save fuel! Its such a waste of tax money building these 4 lane motorways because as soon as some sits in the 2nd or 3rd lane they have straight away turned a 4 laner into a 3 or 2 lane motorway. Those people that drive in the worng lane shouldnt be fine they need ■■■■■■■ locking up, you’d never ever get away with it in france or germany so whats different about this country, german autobahns are crap compared to our motorways in my opinion yet there faster and flow much better!

tachograph:

Saaamon:

I think you’ll find that plenty of people have had tickets for doing around 80 on quiet motorway.

We really do need to get away from this idea that people don’t have a right to drive at a speed they’re comfortable with, driving is about interacting in a safe manner with other road users, if someone doesn’t have the skill or patients to interact in a safe and considerate manner with people who choose, for whatever reason, to drive a bit slower than some other drivers, they shouldn’t be on the road.

Ive got no issues if people want to drive slow on motorways but if they do they need to move over, just like thosee people who want to do 80 need to move to the left lane when their not overtaking. If you took your driving test and was doing 45-50 on a wide straight road when the limit is 60 you’d fail, so what does that say?

Saaamon:
Ive got no issues if people want to drive slow on motorways but if they do they need to move over,

I agree people who hog lanes 2 or 3 are a pita, move over or speed up.

Here’s another one for you…

When traversing this stretch of road clockwise M25, what lane do you sit in if:-

(a) You’re going up the M4
(b) You’re going up the M40
(c) You’re going up the M1

Notice I say “Sit in” - because the gantry signs say “Congestion - Stay in Lane”! :stuck_out_tongue:

As for me, I’ll sit in lane 2 if I’m intending to go on the M4, and lane 3 if I’m conitnuing beyond the J15 M4 junction.
I won’t use Lane 1 or 4 at all here. As far as I know, you can use any of the lanes except 5.