Claiming expences

I’m affraid I hijacked the other thread on the matter a bit (sorry) so I thought I’d best start my own…

As recommended, I’ve set myself an excel thingy up! I’ve got it adding things up for me and alsorts, quite impressed with how much I could remember of how to work excel :slight_smile:

Anyways, I’ve got as far as May 2010 (only doing last year as it’s easier for me) and I’m at £416 so far on travel expences alone (38p/mile and bridge tolls). I must admit, I’m a little concerned the tax people won’t give me the sort of money this is gonna come to (~£1000) on the strength of my timesheets alone :confused: Gotta be worth a try though.

If all’s still good, is there anything else I can claim? I was on paye through the agency and getting night out money where applicable and for the last half of 2010 was working nights.

From what I was told initially, I can’t claim for 2010 until the end of the tax year, that right? and does that mean 2010 (for the purposes of this claim) starts and finishes in april?

Any other help much appreciated.

Can you not claim for laundry expenses, i got given a form the other year from the work. Apparently you can claim the cost of getting your uniform washed. Never filled it in or sent it away. And i cannae mind the number of the form either?

If you wear a company logo’d uniform and have to wash it yourself you can claim laundry for it, think its about £60 for the year,
Ring the HMRC and they will send you a form for it.

When you claim the 40 ppm HMRC allow for travel, when you don’t have a fixed place of work, they don’t actually pay or give you 40 ppm back. You get tax relief on the 40 ppm.