Clacet Lane Services

Does my memory serve me correct in as much as clackets used to have a truckers cafe on site for truck drivers ? i think it would be a great idear if motorway services had them

Quite a lot of motorway services have had them in the past, Watford Gap and Hilton Park being two that spring to mind, and they all had one thing in common, they were crap.

You’ve seen an MSA obviously? Given what you have seen what on earth makes you think they would be any good at running a drivers cafe? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Fair point but i think there missing a big opertunity to make money and provide a proper service to the trucking world

Yes, many years ago, it probably closed around 1988, it was called “Shunters” or something, I remember the logo was a red and white wheel. It was a bit cheaper than eating in the main restaurant, but not much.

bjd:
Fair point but i think there missing a big opertunity to make money and provide a proper service to the trucking world

On the other hand if they were big money spinners the ones that used to be in MSA’s would still be operating. I think the space a Trucker’s Cafe would use must make them more money when it is used for a Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Marks & Spencers, Waitrose, Starbucks, Costa Coffee and the like.

Proberly true but i personally prefer a service area than a lay bye but the price puts me off using them if the facilatys where better and there was more on offer to drivers i might think it worth the money to park there after all its more secure

bjd:
Proberly true but i personally prefer a service area than a lay bye but the price puts me off using them if the facilatys where better and there was more on offer to drivers i might think it worth the money to park there after all its more secure

Okay, now you’re scaring me, I’m worried about you. Is it the cold? Have you forgotten to take some form of medication? Is it drink or drug related?

You think the prices would be much different to what they charge already AND that MSA’s are more secure? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Come on, talk to us, we can help you through this crisis. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

yeh your right i need HELP imm thinking they give a dam lol

bjd:

And he’s back from the brink. Thank goodness for that. You had me really concerned there for a while. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

bjd:

And he’s back from the brink. Thank goodness for that. You had me really concerned there for a while. :wink:

Close call !

Coffeeholic:

bjd:

Okay, now you’re scaring me, I’m worried about you. Is it the cold? Have you forgotten to take some form of medication? Is it drink or drug related?

You think the prices would be much different to what they charge already AND that MSA’s are more secure? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Come on, talk to us, we can help you through this crisis. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It was there when it was first open, there was one at Medway services to, still expensive tho!!

Ping!!!

Yorkies, that’s what they were called, it has just come back to me in a dream!

Harry Monk:
Ping!!!

Yorkies, that’s what they were called, it has just come back to me in a dream!

Thanks for that Harry, I’ve been trying to think what it was called and Shunters in your earlier post did not seem to ring any bells but it was Yorkies for sure.

Yes there used to be a truckers cafe at Clacket Lane services, but as has been already mentioned, they wern’t significantly cheaper, and in any case, theres better ‘eye candy’ in the public areas. Appropos of all that is why segregate truck drivers anyway? when we’re already looked at as a race (and an inferior one at that) apart. If enough people stopped using them then they would be forced to try some other incentive to attract custom. If I was a typical user of MSA’s then most of them would have gone ■■■■ up years ago!

I remember the favourite truckers services was Farthing Corner as they were handy to change up a bit of dosh, grab some bread and bacon before hitting Dover although I used to use the little Esso at the top of Jubilee Way.

Hartshead Moor had the little truckers entrance & toilets from the lorry park, handy for a mug of tea and a couple of slices of bacon on toast :stuck_out_tongue:

If you really wanted to open a MSA outlet for truck drivers in Britain today, it would have to look something like this.

Wheel Nut:
I remember the favourite truckers services was Farthing Corner…

Showing your age there mate. Next you’ll be telling me Northampton services used to be called Rothersthorpe and Aachnerland was Propstier Wald! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:
I remember the favourite truckers services was Farthing Corner…

Showing your age there mate. Next you’ll be telling me Northampton services used to be called Rothersthorpe and Aachnerland was Propstier Wald! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Scratchwood anyone :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
Scratchwood anyone :laughing:

I slept the night there in a new “Telefusion” Ford Fiesta about 1981 when I was working for a Ford main agent.

I had set off the evening before to gain some time so I could call at the NEC motor show for a few hours on the way back. :slight_smile:

Anyone remember the driver’s restaurant up in the tower with panoramic views at the “Mushroom cafe” Forton/Lancaster South?

…and who off here picked me up there one morning & gave me a lift towards Glasgow to pick a car up I’d bought off an emigrating friend… about 4 - 5 years go?