Civilian driving in war zones

Hi all,
transporting medicine or aid in “troubled regions” is something I’ve been thinking about doing for a while. I’ve held my bendy licence for just under a year, which may be a barrier, but have been driving constantly since. No family or dependants, so the risk of not making it back doesn’t bother me. Unfortunately I have no military experience, which again I fear could be a barrier to this line of work. I just feel like I want a job that makes a difference.
Information from Google results seems to be several years out of date and I was wondering if anyone on here has experience or advice on how to get started in this line of work.
Cheers in advance
Cavey.

Have a look at this film ( buried ) or join the army good luck.

dont waste your time, the money was in irag years ago when the iraq war was in full flight,

if i was you id be x army and speak arabic if thats where your thinking of going, if you want arabic lessons let me know :wink: :laughing:

KBR was a big employer but crap money

after an ied

you still want to go?

Captain Caveman 76:
Hi all,
transporting medicine or aid in “troubled regions” is something I’ve been thinking about doing for a while. I’ve held my bendy licence for just under a year, which may be a barrier, but have been driving constantly since. No family or dependants, so the risk of not making it back doesn’t bother me. Unfortunately I have no military experience, which again I fear could be a barrier to this line of work. I just feel like I want a job that makes a difference.
Information from Google results seems to be several years out of date and I was wondering if anyone on here has experience or advice on how to get started in this line of work.
Cheers in advance
Cavey.

Try a tail lift delivery to Merthyr on a Saturday night, anything after should be a piece of ■■■■.

Don’t bother going to Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan, it is an hostile environment for a Westerner, if caught, the head is chopped off.
Even parts of Africa are dangerous now with terror groups operating there.
Maybe charity work is an option.

If you per chance ever get an interview/chat do NOT ever say you are not bothered about the risk or the fact you might not make it back.

It rings very loud alarm bells - they want people with a healthy dose of self preservation (not cowardice but a bit of fear helps sharpen the mind a touch).

No fear means reckless as they see it.

everyone wants to make it back no matter what bravado is written, think the op meant he isn’t going to be ■■■■■■■■ bricks about family etc.

if not join the reserves as a driver its easy your paid they train you and you get to shoot guns etc. as well as drive.

war1974:
everyone wants to make it back no matter what bravado is written, think the op meant he isn’t going to be [zb] bricks about family etc.

if not join the reserves as a driver its easy your paid they train you and you get to shoot guns etc. as well as drive.

+1 As you’ve already got your tickets it might be a bit quicker getting your training done?

Perhaps then you could go on a tour somewhere with the regulars?

Cheers for the replies guys. I was hoping to avoid the military route, at 39 I thought I may be a bit old. Been checking out the T A though and that might be possible. If nothing else, but for the contacts.
Cheers again, Cavey.
PS hope I don’t get buried alive with a blackberry. I bloody hate them!

You are not too old for milatary, the RAF Reserves take on 18 to late fifties.
Movements Squadron 4624 is your calling, they train you to load all types of aircraft for freight and passengers.
Based at Brize Norton, train at weekends, traveling expenses paid, tax free annual bonus of over a grand.
If deployed abroad , by law, your employer must keep your job.
You can drive all types of airside machinery and Lgvs, they train for all types.
Worldwide travel, to disaster areas, humanatarian relief, working alongside the Royal Navy and army.
Duties to hostile countries is part of the job.
You could be taking the Royal Marines to the Artic circle for cold weather training, or on a 747 to the Falklands ,stopping over in the Ascension Islands, this is called tasking.
My training involved river rafting in the Ardeche river gorges in the South of France.
Skiing trips, or hiking in California, the trips are free.
They call it leadership skills and personal development.

you could always try the S.A.S.S. division of the T.A…Saturday And Sunday Soldiers.
OR dip your toe in the water and try some multidrop work around belfast… :slight_smile:

Why on earth would you want to do civilian driving in warzones for a commercial company? Is money the motivator? Or adventure?(!) Only place I’d accept driving in warzones is with the Army/RAF. You have proper support then. You’ve got to look at what’s going on today. Never mind getting blown up, big risk is kidnap at the minute, being smuggled over a border with an extended stay in an orange boiler suit followed by having your head hacked off.

I worked in the middle east for a commercial non driving company. We were recently being bombarded by security notices from our security department who liaised with local intel agencies citing very active kidnap threats following recent attacks on westerners in our locale. When operating in West Africa the same thing. We were just civilians with no real protection. The company didn’t care and took severe chances with us. Other crews received a full armed guard ■■■■■■ driving to hotel given how dangerous Lagos is. We just got a badly blacked out van with some young punk driving and a pistol. Bugger that with a commercial operator.

and we thought it was bad when we were in Bosnia 20 years ago… but looking back it was fun and no one got beheaded on youtube… would not even consider it today in current conflict areas…

Look what they did to the fighter pilot, burnt alive in a cage, then Jcb,s flattened it in to the ground.