City & Guilds certificate in Driving Goods Vehicles

From the article:
in 2009 when a new EU Training Directive requires far more vocational training to be completed before a driver is handed the keys.

The City and Guilds level 3 Technical Certificate in Driving Goods Vehicles 3291, is clearly a training package produced to provide a clearly laid out path of learning, in a format and language that all drivers can easily identify with. Only time will tell but don’t be too surprised in a couple years time, to see future Driving Vacancies being advertised with the stipulation that all applicants must have a City & Guilds 3291.

Read the whole article here

mmmmmm, wonder whod have to pay for this :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

mezzzz1211:
mmmmmm, wonder whod have to pay for this :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I suspect some of the bigger “Logistics” companies will pay, if only to keep their coveted “Investor in People” awards :unamused:

I also suspect that many drivers will end up paying for this out of their own pockets.

Remember this is aimed mostly at new drivers, however the EU directive on ongoing vocational training for ALL drivers is also around the corner :open_mouth:

I already have an SVQ Driving Goods Vehicles Level 2.

Its pretty much the same qualification but the awarding body is the SQA (scottish qualifications authority) instead of City & Guilds.

It is completely easy to get if you are already driving as it covers things like load security and tachographs, duty of care, etc. However, I’m sure it would be good for newbies and it is a reminder that we are not just drivers but are expected to have a certain amount of professionalism.

Its all on the job assessment and there are no tests - no pass or fail. If you’re not up to a certain standard they’ll tell you why and then you get another shot at it until you are good enough.

This is not the EU drivers CPC already talk about on this forum, so it’s not compulsary, as Rikki said it’s probally going to be paid for by large logistics organisations who want everybody to have a training plan and loads of certificates.

However whats wrong with a proper training plan for those entering the industry and those already in it?

The article is quite right when it says:

Although taking a five-day driving course resulting in a successful Category C LGV driving licence pass, entitles the holder to become a member of an elite club, it doesn’t make them a professional driver. Little assistance is given to new drivers and up until now drivers have had to develop their own standards themselves whilst on the job. Unfortunately in a lot of cases, a driver is only made aware that something is being carried out incorrectly because the driver has been either prosecuted for an offence, or involved in a serious accident. This scenario is totally unacceptable and would not be allowed in many other industries within The United Kingdom.

How many times on this forum have myths about tacho regs or something similar been discussed because drivers, even the ones on this forum haven’t been trained in any more than pointing the truck.

The course seems to cover the most important points needed and if done right should provide a good foundation for new drivers.

The Criteria for a Professional Large Goods Vehicle Driver.
Understanding Large Goods Vehicles.
Vehicle Weights and Restraints.
Understand Bridge Strikes and Restricted Access for Goods Vehicles…
Vehicles Daily Maintenance Procedures.
Drivers’ Hours.
Customer Care for Drivers of Large Goods Vehicles.
A fuel Efficient Driver.
Accident Procedures and Prevention.
Driver’s Health.

Hi all, I know Wincanton have put some drivers through. In their magazine there was a full spread about it.