Chrome Light Bars - Best Polish/Cleaner?

Hope all the chrome crazy truckers can help?

Purchased some chrome styling bars and was wondering what the best cleaner or polish to use on them to keep them in tip top condition as they’ve started pitting.

I’ve tried scouring the web for the best answer but I get mixed reports.

I’ve asked the fitters at work, one said to use autosol, but I’m pretty sure this has abrasive grit content and would therefore scratch; another recommended coating them with clear lacquer to prevent the initial build up and attack from road salt etc.

Many suggestions and any thoughts on the above would help. :question:

TNT TRUCKER
I have used autosol before and its by far the best you can get
I used to use it on stainless steal sheating and as best my memory serves me it didnt mark the surface
If i was you i would buy a tube and give it a try on a hidden part of the light bar, that stuffs definently worth a go, you can get it at most car care shops ( autoworld, halfords ect ect )

Agree with the autosol thing best chrome polish out there :sunglasses:

Try to get hold of “peek” metal polish.

It’s slightly less abrasive than autosol and will bring ali up to a mirror finish with a bit of effort.

Remember that all polish is abrasive to a greater or lesser extent so if your polishing a good quality chrome then a good car paintwork polish should do the job.

Cheers
Neilf

Thanks lads, hoping for something non abrasive - keep the ideas coming, I’m taking it all in!

Ooh i forgot all about that peek stuff i used to do deliveries to frost auto restoration and the guy there gave me a load of free sample sachets of it heres the link to frosts website

frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8786

simon

SimonRS2K:
Ooh i forgot all about that peek stuff i used to do deliveries to frost auto restoration and the guy there gave me a load of free sample sachets of it heres the link to frosts website

frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8786

simon

Thanks to all, Peek looks mustard (Just the job).

Cheers Si

At Truckfest one tyear there was I with the chrome cleaner when I notice this old bloke talking to the Wife & polishing away on the chrome. This chap told her to use very fine MUD & it works.

Well, I asked our one Polish driver what he uses to clean his chrome.

He say “Me use Ajax!”

Yeah my vote is with Autosol. :wink:

Autosol did a brilliant job for me when I needed it. Doesn’t mean it’s the best but It was ■■■■ good!!

Autosol is the best bet - thats what i use on my bike alloy and stainless bits.

I am told olive oil is also good for clean and protecting alloy and stainless.

A few months ago,I was parked at Grahams J24 M5,with my Twingo which was only 10 months old,but as is typical with aluminium tanks,it was already pitting.

Another driver,who had parked next to me, produced a tub of Peek,and after about half an hour,it was better than new. :smiley:

He said the same thing insofar as it was as good as Autosol,but less abrasive.

Ken.

Use Peek yer [zb]. Chodmerdin!

Nice try. And again in the signature…which I’ve turned off to give you chance to chage it before I do. L. :wink:

When i used to do Greece with a brand new Super Space Cab a couple of years ago, the passenger side had a biiig diesel tank(basically the space inbetween the front wheel; to the back wheel :open_mouth: ) and another tank on the drivers side next to the batteries( around 150ltr tank.) i used to polish the big tank with Autosol and the little tank with Peek, the result of around 3 months of constantly polishing these tanks proved that Autosol was the better of the two,as it lifted more dirt off tank and although they are both slightly abrasive, they didnt leave any marks on the tanks. you could have a shave using any of the two tanks as a mirror, :open_mouth: if i ever get sorted on computer i will post some pics and show you just how well they came up

kindle530:
you could have a shave using any of the two tanks as a mirror, :

Then i started using it and the polishing bit sort of went out the window!
sdj

One Word!

Solvolautosolvolautosolvolautosol

Best stuff ever if you are prepared to keep on top of it.

If you ever pass the race transporter of Padgetts GP Racing you will see the first segment of fuel tank shines. then I got bored :stuck_out_tongue:

What do you mean " If you’re prepared to keep on top of it" ■■?
:question:

I found the best is plambert its non abrasive and only available from oxfordshire but guaranteed to keep the shine whatever the weather along with a tin of elbow grease…
have a nice day