Christmas Dinner at the trailer box

Christmas Dinner at Khafji. Dec 1989

Christmas Day Mosul 1989

Merry Christmas to you all.
Best regards
GS.

Early December '78, I flew out to Belgrade to take over the Mack of Chapman and Ball after Billy Hamm,(Bionic Bill),RIP, had had his so called accident in the snow.
The truck was loaded for the Saudi Air Force base at Dahran.
I was intending to do a flyer and promised my wife I’d be home for Christmas, oh dear!
I tipped Dahran, and managed to get back to load in Greece on Christmas eve.
I parked up on the Greek/Yugo border with another English guy, and Christmas morning we started off and found we only had a couple of tins of grub between us, and we stopped in a lay bye somewhere between Nis and Belgrade and had a Christmas dinner of spam and potatoes then we shared a tinned jam sponge pudding.
We made it to the National that evening and got stuck into a Christmas mixed grill and a PIVO or three!
Got back home in the New Year, good job mum knew the job better than me!

Ian
Are we the only two left that dined at “le Trailer Box” ■■
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Doha with a Lebanese Sadiq.

Hamriya, Dubai with another Lebanese Sadiq.

Oktay TIR Parking Istanbul. (Not Christmas)

If I may throw my Christmas Pud into the pan. :laughing:
Christmas Eve 1983, Roy Kershaw and myself were on our way to Baghdad, Roy had a full load of beer on and I had a full load of whiskey. We finally got cleared entering Kapikule between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. and drove around to the new Mocamp truckstop that had only been opened for about three months. It was owned allegedly by the family who owned The Mocamp (Londra Camping) in Istanbul. When we got there Lee Marland and another driver who were on their way home were just having a wash and so we decide that we would all cancel the following day.
If any of you might remember they had fitted European style toilets in the place and within three months they were all broken because some of the Turks had been standing on them.
Other drivers who were also out that Christmas were, Depression Ron and Martin Mouldsworth from C.V.H. (Caerphilly Van Hire), Noddy Bob from Fred Archers and Micky Chinnock who might of also have been on Archers. :slight_smile:

I got to know Ron Slater,(Depression) very well, and in those days, late '70’s early '80’s he always had his mate Kermit with him, I never got to know his proper name.
Hasn’t Ron’s lad been on this BB?

Here’s me thinking about smuggling a bird out of the DDR in my trailer box!

Ha Ha…and thats probably the Stazi sitting watching you in the Wartburg in the background. ! :laughing:

bestbooties:
I got to know Ron Slater,(Depression) very well, and in those days, late '70’s early '80’s he always had his mate Kermit with him, I never got to know his proper name.
Hasn’t Ron’s lad been on this BB?

Hi Ian, yes, Ron’s son did post a few articles on here a few years ago. Another good lad who drove for C.V.H. was Alfie Jones.
Now, I have been wondering about this for a long time now. Wasn’t there another driver from the Birmingham area who we all called Depression Bob :confused: I seem to think that Bob also worked for L.O.B.O. was it LLoyd’s Of Birmingham Overland.

Regards Steve.

Mushrooman Alfie was a lovely bloke he ended up with a B and B called journey’s end nocked two houses into one very popular but sadly passed away a while back lovely Welsh voice regards rowley

Not particularly for Christmas, better in the heat of summer when down that way, straight out of the ice box, my sherry trifle!