Christmas Day ffs

Talking to a bloke today who said his firm want him to run out on xmas day.
And guess what he is doing it,moaning like hell to me about it,I said tell them your not working it and he said “well what can you do”
He wasn’t a 4 on 4 off man either

Milk tanker by any chance? Usually seen out and about on Christmas Day and bugger that for a game lol

Daytrunker:
Milk tanker by any chance? Usually seen out and about on Christmas Day and bugger that for a game lol

No fridge work,
My mate normally runs Sunday too and he is expecting to be asked to run as normal :open_mouth:

I wonder if the bloke who expects him to work is also working, I doubt it.
I hope he is getting amply compensated for it at least time x3.

I reckon if it came to the last minute crunch I would jack, (especially if my kids were still young) unless of course it was a particularly excellent job, but even then there are circumstances of principle in my book…but I’m just an arsey ■■■■■ anyway. :smiley:

if firms can’t shut for one whole day it’s a joke

Reed Boardall? I saw one out on M1 heading south last Xmas day

Our place have asked for volunteers to work Boxing Day for triple time so £38ph,some have taken it it wouldn’t with having young kids.
Shut xmas day though completely.

yorkshire terrier:
if firms can’t shut for one whole day it’s a joke

Blame that on the 24/7 365 day lifestyle that is now the norm in England.

I’m in Christmas night for a few hours I’ve got a 10 month old but she will be in bed and triple time and day in lieu makes it worth it. Same as New Year’s Day for us. Last year was 6 hour shift starting at 10. The boss worked too and is doing this year.

The fact is that some people have to work or be on stand by 24/7/365.I just hope that the workers are amply rewarded for it.I will be at the wheel on Hogmanay possibly.

Probably more do with the fact its too expensive for factories to shut down for a day and they may have no storage space available etc.

Example being a local factory (24/7 manufacturing place) I used to work at…when they shut down for whatever reason/problem etc it can take a day or two to get things back up and running smoothly. So they have no option but to pay employees extra and get shifts covered in order to keep things ticking along nicely and not lose a couple of days of production which would probably be tens/hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Unfortunately that knocks on to hauliers being required.

Obviously milk/fresh food supply chain etc is ususally pretty time critical anyway. If they banned fridge truck movements in the uk on xmas day we’d all be the first to complain in the supermarkets on the 26/27th??

dave_k:
Probably more do with the fact its too expensive for factories to shut down for a day and they may have no storage space available etc.

No its to do with people expecting supermarkets to be open and fully stocked up and only closing on Xmas day.

Conor:

dave_k:

No its to do with people expecting supermarkets to be open and fully stocked up and only closing on Xmas day.

No doubt they’ll all be open on Xmas day in a few years the way things are going…

I don’t mind doing New Years because my days of getting ratarsed on NYE are long done with but Xmas day is a red line for me. I would quit a job over it.

if you’ve not got kids/family and you’re being paid at least 3 times normal rate i don’t see anything wrong with it. Told my agency i use over christmas id work xmas day if they found someone who’d pay me £50 per hour, they actually took it on board and seemed to consider it which worries me a bit!

When i did 4on4off on the newspapers back in the 80’s, Christmas night working for Boxing Day papers was part of the job if it fell on your shift, but you knew that when you took the job on, a job incidentally which paid £25+k and on target for £30k in me last year there.

And about 20 years ago i did a Christmas morning 6 hour run on the car transporters that paid double time plus £350 bonus for turning up, being relatively short of money at the time that was a no brainer, a weeks pay in 6 hours and still home by 11am.

If you take anti social houred work on, it usually pays anti social hours money, so whenever your shift falls do it.

Early Doors workers for Boxing day is going to be the killer this year, what with it being “first thing monday morning” and all.
Night runs the previous night will be feeding into those early door shifts… A late start on Christmas Day evening then…

As long as the hourly rate works out to be over £30ph - where’s the problem? :sunglasses:

Better than buggering about in front of some reality show on TV whilst the missus struggles to get rid of the stragglers or expects you to do the washing up! :grimacing:

This Christmas doesn’t feel like “previous” ones - I’d like to point out.
For me, I find myself looking forward to the new year, because this time around I won’t be struggling for work, insecure in my income. :neutral_face:

Wouldn’t do Christmas Day due to me being a moon-howling bible thumper. Only joking, I just love those little bacon wrapped sausages, not missing them for anything.

I’ll do every other day round that time, including hogmany and the 1st, doesn’t bother me, I’d just get hammered and grand slam the couch if I wasn’t working.

A.

Conor:
I don’t mind doing New Years because my days of getting ratarsed on NYE are long done with but Xmas day is a red line for me. I would quit a job over it.

My boss was pretty good, he let us drivers figure out between us which half would do Boxing Day bank holiday and the other half do New Years. So people like me still young and single will be in work Boxing Day :sunglasses:

Wife’s a nurse…

She does permanent nights ATM, and this year, she finishes Christmas day morning.

The new year week, she’s working right through that weekend…

Doff my hat to her for what she, and all the other staff have to put up with that comes through the A&E doors this time of year…