Chris Hudson & Ferryline

yes terry it was deffinatley dave my mate isnt sure if he,s still knocking about tho but does remember him having a leyland marathon aswell as some volvo f10s

Yes, I particularly remember Dave Binder because I went to his wedding in Tamworth and while we were there, my co-director Bob Humphreys nearly got into a fight with one of our drivers, Peter Lockett (who was driving for Peter Roff, Milton Keynes at the time).
It all ended up as handbags though.
Terry

heres a link to a pic of one of pete hardings scanias with a harvay shaw trailer

terryavc:
one of our drivers, Peter Lockett (who was driving for Peter Roff, Milton Keynes at the time).

isn’t he RPL from MK these days? welcome to the site terry - priceless reminiscences, keep them coming when you can :smiley:

hi all,back in the early eighties both myself and a friend did traction for harvay shaw.i traded as graham ward trucking.my mate traded as picton transport.he had a driver called graham evans,we were doing a lot of coil to metal box neath and reloading rank xerox in the forest of dean.

Don’t know if anyone else would remember Lampard’s Transport??
It must have been 1977 or 1978, that whilst running Harvay Shaw, we took a few trucks on from Lampard’s.
Frank Lampard (senior) wasn’t that involved in the day to day running of the company, but obviously had a financial interest in the business.
Through this, I got to meet the great man and ended up taking him out to The Circus Tavern at Purfleet, even though I was the customer.
He also turned out for Harvay Shaw, while he was still playing for West Ham, when we played a friendly football match against Anglia Forwarding, and needless to say, we managed to win. He then took us back to his pub in the east- end and laid on food and drinks for the evening, Great Days!!!
Another guy worth a mention is Ron Cook, who used to own Cook’s trailer manufacturers in Rainham.
I first met Ron when I joined Chris Hudson and he and Chris were very close friends.
Ron always warned Chris that the monoframe trailer was not a good idea but Chris went ahead anyway, and unfortunately, Ron was proved right, when this unfortunate misjudgment put Chris out of business.
After I left Chris Hudson, I became very friendly with Ron and Jean in my own right, and Ron must have built over 150 trailers for me for Harvay Shaw & Ferryline.
He had so much faith in me that he stood as guarantor to the finance company for my first purchase of 20 trailers from him when I started Harvay Shaw.
He later helped me to design a revolutionary Supercube trailer for Ferryline Trailers that enabled Ford Motor Co to move more of their products, per trailer, than was possible before.
This trailer, gained me the contract, for many years, for the movement of engines from Ford, Bridgend and the return of empty racks.
The trailer was so successful that Ford Motor Company borrowed the idea and built a large fleet of them for themselves, which were towed by the Ford Fleet drivers.
So we kind of innovated ourselves out of a job.
Ron Cook and Jean are now living in Falmouth, Cornwall and I am still in touch with him. Unfortunately, he is now wheelchair bound after being paralysed from the waist downward after his aorta burst and nearly killed him.
Both Chris and I owe a lot to Ron and we wouldn’t have been so successful without his help and engineering knowledge.
Terry

Hello Ferryline, I was your very first employed driver,I joined you when you purchased your Iveco from Purfleet, and before that I was on with you driving as a subby on Astrans, those were the days, I am in fact still keeping in touch with Colin Hillman by sending a Xmas card each year, Old drivers never die, they just fade away. All the very best to all the other sub-contractors, many happy times were had, John Bruce.

bruceyboy:
Hello Ferryline, I was your very first employed driver,I joined you when you purchased your Iveco from Purfleet, and before that I was on with you driving as a subby on Astrans, those were the days, I am in fact still keeping in touch with Colin Hillman by sending a Xmas card each year, Old drivers never die, they just fade away. All the very best to all the other sub-contractors, many happy times were had, John Bruce.

Hi John: As promised here are the photos. Brand new Iveco and Scania 142. Who’s a proud driver then?? :smiley: No comparrison in trucks if you ask me… :wink:

Good post, I must have known most of the Ferryline drivers as they came off the ferry into TTZ, grabbed a coffee and a brace of Stefans special sandwiches, plastic cheese and cardboard ham in a cellophane packet before shooting off into the night.

I agree with the bit about Cooks Trailers. I used one for about a year, it was the best Tilt I had ever worked with

Hello Terry, Hope you like the pictures, the Iveco, was the first with your special supercube trl collected by me from Purfleet, and then With colin and yourself i was told to pick up the 142 Scania from Purfleet, Then down to the trailer firm to collect another trl. What a pleasure it was to work for you until I went on for Vernon Oliver, running to Spain, My regards to Colin Hillman,Bob Humphries, and all that were part of FERRYLINE. john Bruce.

Hi John,
Thanks very much for the pictures and the kind words about working for us.
I remember you well and also Vernon Oliver of course.
I still see Bob Humphreys regularly but I have lost contact with Colin Hillman, but I will pass on your regards to Bob.
I will have to trawl through my stuff and see if I can find any pictures from the past, but it seems to me that the
guys on here have more than I do, I didn’t seem to get many photo’s and of course, mainly being a trailer operator
I have pictures of the trailers and not always with a unit.
Regards,
Terry

good post this, good to hear from an operator with is views ( for a change) and former drivers posting how they saw it… and being remembered!!!

I remember Harvey Shaw/Edmund Depaire and later Ferryline…big Dover players in their day.

Best Regards to Ye Terry an sorry for ye loss.

routier:
good post this, good to hear from an operator with is views ( for a change) and former drivers posting how they saw it… and being remembered!!!

I remember Harvey Shaw/Edmund Depaire and later Ferryline…big Dover players in their day.

Best Regards to Ye Terry an sorry for ye loss.

I agree, its very interesting hearing it from the “bosses” view, did`nt Leon Salt pull for HS/ED, back in the late 70s, he came from the Matlock area.

I worked with one his drivers, Duncan Stone, on the garments from Portugal around 15 years ago, he mentioned HS/ED on more than one occasion, whilst chatting on the beach near Leira :sunglasses:

[/quote]
I’m sure my mate drove this motor in about 1989-90 for Ferryline. He used to pull a fridge with it doing a bit of Austria. He wasn’t with them for long though, got all loved up and ended up on local work for a steel company. His name is Chris Goodwin, I’ve plugged him before on another thread.

Regards,

Mark.

Good Morning Terry.
Living in Dover back in the 1980’s Ferryline was THE company to pull for.
The work was there if you wanted to drive the miles.
Six Bridgends in a week with not one of the trailers having empty racks,meaning I was tipping firstly up country,gave me the record for weekly earnings with Ferryline for quite a time.
On one occasion I had a single box for Aberdeen to go to an oil rig.Waited for a helicopter then straight to Bridgend M/T and back to Dover with engines.
Shame that I cannot be as generous with the morons,yes morons who loaded us in the Ford factory.Ford should have sacked the lot and let us load ourselves.
Would have been able to do two trailers a day then…

Hi 14Too, I can’t identify you from your username, but I’m pleased that you managed to earn well with Ferryline.
I like to think that the work was there if the drivers wanted it, and although you never please everyone, I think we had a happy bunch working with us.
I tend to agree about the loading crew at Bridgend, I went there on a few occasions to watch them load the new supercubes and they did their level best to damage them as much as possible.
That might account for us having to spend over £250,000 per year on repairs to the fleet.
Nice to hear from you.
Regards,
Terry

Ferryline. This has just rang an enormous bell. I worked out of Thanet in the 1980s and certainly dragged Ferryline trailers to Bridgend to either fetch or carry engines, can’t remember which lol. And I can’t remember who for (ie my boss) :confused:

And Gordon of Ramsgate?? Why does that ring a huge bell too? Did you know Norman Steele? lived somewhere by Ramsgate station (not entirely sure about the surname).

Whose the guy stood in front of the Scania?

In those years I worked for Norman, Paul Coomber, Micky White and Conrad Garrett.

Sorry about your mam, I lost my dad last year, its awful :frowning:

John Bruce from gravesend, I was thier only employed driver, until they brought there second Unit being the Scania in the picture, Regards

got some i cropted from a mag wil post them up this week :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I Remember the Chris Hudson Scania 81 where they onwner drivers and why did they buy the 81