Chosing the lesser of 3 evils :-)

Imagine you have to go into a tight left turn off a roundabout; you need to use the full width of the roundabout + both lanes of the road you’re turning into (you’re in a city). You can’t see what’s coming from the road you want to enter until you’re inside the roundabout at which point the roundabout is blocked by you; there’s a car coming from the road you’re going to turn into, it’s about 120-150m away, speed limit is 30mph and this is how fast the car is going (about 14m/s). You’ve stopped because you had to let 2 other cars go who were already entering the roundabout so you had to wait for them to clear:

1. Wait for him to enter the roundabout then go after him, bearing in mind you can’t see more than 200m into the road (bend) so by the time you wait for him someone else might show up and you’d have to wait for them, too - thereby seriously ■■■■■■■ off people behind you and those trying to use the roundabout
  2. Don’t wait for him but you will meet at some point as you need to use his lane to perform your maneuver, thereby causing him to stop or slow down
  3. Don’t wait for him but complete your maneuver before you two come too close, without disrupting his movement pattern resulting in your rear wheels mounting the curb about half-width (assuming no pedestrians or furniture etc.)
  1. You’re a true driving master so you take off and complete the whole turn in under 8 seconds nice and clean, neither mounting the curb nor crossing paths with the oncoming car. Assuming you’re not, though - pretend the car is closer and you HAVE to chose one of the 3 above - wait inside the roundabout, go and force him to slow/stop or go and mount the (clear) curb without causing him to change speed?

If im reading that right then my action would be
judge how far away he is and if he only needs to slow down to let me round then ill keep going and he’ll just need to slow down whether he wants to or not.
If he’s close enough to have to brake hard then id just sit and wait but after he’s been id go for it and anyone else who arrives will just need to wait till im round the corner.
Youre driving a large vehicle in a tight environment. You need to be ruthless sometimes and accept not everyone will be happy
I might take option 3 as well though. It’s a hard question to answer since each situation needs to be judged in real time.

Yep as long as it’s not dangerous such as causing others to slam on hard etc then take up the road and do what you need to do. If that upsets a few people they can beep their horn, go and have a cry about it, shout at me. Frankly I don’t care. We’ve got a job to do and if that gets in the way of someone’s lap time who’s treating a public road like an F1 race track then I could not care one little bit.

Is taking a complete circuit of the roundabout, if it ain’t a silly mini one, an option?
If you’ve gotta wait to perform a safe manoeuvre, then following traffic must wait too, surely.

If you were on your driving test or an assessment then number 2 is the way, take as much room as you need, if oncoming traffic has to stop then it does.

Sometimes,you just gotta boss it

Vid:
If you were on your driving test or an assessment then number 2 is the way, take as much room as you need, if oncoming traffic has to stop then it does.

Do you apply the same rules pulling out of a side road?
If oncoming traffic gotta stop, they will?

All the way around the roundabout, if it isn’t stupidly small or painted on, then a steady roll up to the junction, and when space dictates pull over using all of the road to make the turn.

If it’s a painted on roundabout, use as much of the road as needed, edging around the junction until traffic slows, stops, or it’s clear. Not all drivers are stupid, in a rush or plain ignorant and will let you out, around or through.

Vid:

Who ever taught you to drive did not do a very good job either that or like many you forgot the correct method.

commonrail:
Sometimes,you just gotta boss it

Nah, only if you are a bully and have no patience. :wink:

Thought that’d rattle your cage :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Franglais:

Vid:

Do you apply the same rules pulling out of a side road?
If oncoming traffic gotta stop, they will?

jakethesnake:

Vid:

Who ever taught you to drive did not do a very good job either that or like many you forgot the correct method.

Didn’t say what I would do, just what the current test/ assessment viewpoint is.

There will be scenarios,when a driver will be required to take a"dominant position"on the road.

Aka boss it.

Nothing to do with bullying or impatience…as our narrow minded friend,would like to suggest.
More to do with good road craft.