Choice of training vehicle

I’ve just read in this weeks’ Commercial Motor that a trainer has acquired a new Across 6x2 tractor unit and had it “blinged” with Games of Thrones on the sides.

The trainer is of the opinion that this will be a big draw - especially to younger candidates.

For many years, we have run new vehicles. These are deliberately kept basic to make the training experience as straightforward as possible. For the last 3 years, we’ve gone for our very distinctive “road signs” cab wrap.

Tockwith has a beautiful 6x2 Volvo tractor unit but hasn’t covered it in fancy vinyl.

Just interested in comments as about to order more new vehicles for next year.

The answers I expect are along the lines that the appearance of the vehicle is not particularly important - it’s better that it’s user friendly and drives properly. And that the trainer is reputable. But I’ll wait and see.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If the bling means that the L plates etc are more hidden then to me that is not a good thing

You wouldnt be very pleased if you failed your test due to your response to the actions of rubber neckers if it was too blinged up .

I hope this doesn’t break any forum rules but for the benefit of the thread these are mine. I like to keep it basic.

Peter Smythe:
I’ve just read in this weeks’ Commercial Motor that a trainer has acquired a new Across 6x2 tractor unit and had it “blinged” with Games of Thrones on the sides.

The trainer is of the opinion that this will be a big draw - especially to younger candidates.

For many years, we have run new vehicles. These are deliberately kept basic to make the training experience as straightforward as possible. For the last 3 years, we’ve gone for our very distinctive “road signs” cab wrap.

Tockwith has a beautiful 6x2 Volvo tractor unit but hasn’t covered it in fancy vinyl.

Just interested in comments as about to order more new vehicles for next year.

The answers I expect are along the lines that the appearance of the vehicle is not particularly important - it’s better that it’s user friendly and drives properly. And that the trainer is reputable. But I’ll wait and see.

Exactly as you expect Pete, keep it simple.

As much as i love watching Game of Thrones, i wouldn’t want to be learning and doing my test in that truck. An unnecessary distraction knowing everyone would staring at you.

I use to see Tockwith Vehicles around and about and they stand out for the right reasons… I know straight away they are learner drivers, yet its not over the top.

Who gives a [zb] about decals these days? They were popular in 2001 when the fast and furious came out, but I think people left them behind with under body neons years ago :wink:

It wouldn’t have attracted me to them – I’ve taken no interest in Game of Thrones to the point of not even knowing which medium it’s in (film/book/whatever). I’d have been looking at price and the reputation of its trainers, or certainly I would if I was doing it now. Also, the fact that it’s an artic tractor rather than a W&D front unit might well count against them with many trainees. And given the fact that it’s an expensive new Actros with a powerful engine (460 or 480bph if I remember rightly), I expect it will push up the cost of training somewhat. I don’t think “everyone will be looking at you” will make any difference, though.

Think I would be more impressed and keen to use new vehicles than what “bling” it had.

Decals or bling? Couldn’t give a monkeys. If I decide to upgrade to a CE license then the type of paint job wouldn’t bother me. Nice to see a training vehicle that doesn’t look like it’s been to the Moon and back a few times, on its way through the Sahara though.

I would have thought a more comprehensive training schedule or more competative rates would be more of a draw surely??

Nice thread Pete, We just aim to stand out. My Grandad who set the company up in 1971 said to himself, what colour stands out the most so that other motorists will see our vehicles and therefore reduce the risk we and them might pose, it was a toss up between red and yellow, heads it was and they got painted yellow!

I think WTTS that have the Actros painted beautifully is not aimed at attracting customers as it goes down the road, its a vehicle to take to truck shows, let the kids climb all over it and chat up their dads/mums. Which is a very good idea, I have just emailed WTTS to see if we can join up at a few shows if I get some chrome on our FH, see what they say.

Funny thing is, our trucks are made as ugly as possible to get noticed, it really isn’t a pretty colour but it works. When we got our now old artic from Volvo a few years ago it was an ex-volvo driver training truck in Warrick (infact its the truck used by the DSA in the theory book!) it was painted metallic silver - looked beautiful, and they we made the salesman cry by painting it a yucky yellow! See pictures.

If was setting up a driving school I would paint the trucks bright green, the colour of success, that would work really well on all levels.

As for buying fancy cabs, i understand keeping it simple but one thing people might not realise is that the big cabs are simpler to drive than the little cabs. For example our big Volvo FH is automatic everything, gearbox is auto, handbrake comes off automatically, goes on automatically too, hill hold so no rolling back on the hill start, auto lights, auto wipers its all auto - where as the little cabs don’t get that. If I could have afforded it I would have bought the FH as rigid trucks too, rather than the FE’s.

So my advice, buy a big cab, they are easier to drive and paint it a yucky colour, cab wraps are ok but more expensive and as we keep our trucks 10 years so it doesn’t last long enough in my experience. As for what customers want, well they are all different and will always keep us guessing. The only catch is that our rigid trucks cost £75,000 each and the artic £85,000!!! but it’s lovely to drive, nicer inside than my car! Not sure all driving schools could buy a proper trucks like we do, we have a bit a reputation and customers are willing to pay that little extra to train with us because of what we offer, if price is your customers primary concern after passing the test, best stick with smaller cheaper cabs like our FE’s, although MAN trucks do come in £10,000 less than Volvo because they are recycled Bedfords!

before:

after:

I like them billy bog basic. That way you won’t be disappointed when you climb into some of the sheds you’ll get asked to drive as an agency man.

Hi All,
Some interesting feedback on the new motor and a fair bit of speculation, so I just thought I’d add some facts.
Wttl (not s) has always had a policy of running modern industry relevant vehicles and this year our 58 plate tractor unit came up for replacement.
After exploring the market we felt the 450 bhp Actros was competitive at £84,000 plus VAT and gave the best vision and working space for candidates and our instructor.
We are also admirers of those fleets and drivers who “individualise” and maintain their vehicles at show standard and decided it would be good to create something unique of our own. This individualisation, some £30,000 to date is a one off company celebration that will show a return in residual values and we have not increased our prices, £900.00 plus VAT for a 5 day course, to our candidates.
To address some of the other concerns, as the picture shows, we think the trailer makes it quite clear this is a training vehicle and whilst the unit draws some attention, no one has stepped in front of it for a closer look. In fact whilst the sample is quite small, 8 learners to date, the 1st time pass rate for this vehicle stands at 75% and the average driving faults per candidate is 3. Both figures being a slight improvement over the plain white vehicle it replaces.
With regards to our reputation, well I would be biased, but anyone is invited to undertake a free assessment with our DSA registered instructors prior to purchasing a course.
Just one winge, we think we found the best artist in the country to paint these images, it’s not vinyl !
Hope this helps
Nick

Nice to have another LGV trainer on here ----- welcome wttl :smiley:

Nice to have another LGV trainer on here ----- welcome wttl :smiley:

+1

Personally, I think the truck looks brilliant. Just need to convince the accountant :blush: :blush: