Chipping Trucks, Worth It?

Just been told tonight by TM that boss wants my truck, (cough ‘7.5 ton puddlejumper’ as I’ve said before), CHIPPED :open_mouth: !! WHY??.. What’s the point on such a small wagon that never leaves the county!!! Artic? Yes, fair enough…Britain ain’t flat…Distances covered etc…

It’s 10 years old now ish (X reg), and ok, I’ve been driving it 3 years and of those 3, 2 has been pulling a trailer.(Boss bought a trailer so wagon could do more), but I feel as if I’m just shortening the life of my truck. It’s already on it’s 2nd clutch (that I know of), Could this be because of the extra loading?

I just feel the ‘get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went!!’ :frowning: :frowning:

TM has tried to explain a while ago, we need a wagon that can carry more / be more practical, not just carry the same and go faster ish.

Also,told a while ago, my truck only does 13 mpg, (boss wants to improve that also).

I want to know, now that technology’s moved on in the last 10 years, (euro 4, 5, 6 etc) What will an average 6 wheeler do to the gallon??

Is it really really worth it? :question: :question: :question:

Blimey 13 to the gallon thats very poor.
We have a 7.5 ton tipper grab which is very heavy even when empty but very economical and often does the same mpg as some of our bigger engined transits, 15 to 20 to the gallon, one of those fuel gauges that dont move for ages then bosh wheres the nearest petrol station!

Chipped is a real ■■■■■ word that gives out the wrong impression.
The ECU will get read and a fuel map will be made up to increase mpg, and sometimes Torque and BHP.

This place may be able to tell you more evolutionchips.co.uk/index.html

Goldfinger:
Just been told tonight by TM that boss wants my truck, (cough ‘7.5 ton puddlejumper’ as I’ve said before), CHIPPED :open_mouth: !! WHY??.. What’s the point on such a small wagon that never leaves the county!!! Artic? Yes, fair enough…Britain ain’t flat…Distances covered etc…

It’s 10 years old now ish (X reg), and ok, I’ve been driving it 3 years and of those 3, 2 has been pulling a trailer.(Boss bought a trailer so wagon could do more), but I feel as if I’m just shortening the life of my truck. It’s already on it’s 2nd clutch (that I know of), Could this be because of the extra loading?

I just feel the ‘get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went!!’ :frowning: :frowning:

TM has tried to explain a while ago, we need a wagon that can carry more / be more practical, not just carry the same and go faster ish.

Also,told a while ago, my truck only does 13 mpg, (boss wants to improve that also).

I want to know, now that technology’s moved on in the last 10 years, (euro 4, 5, 6 etc) What will an average 6 wheeler do to the gallon??

Is it really really worth it? :question: :question: :question:

i dont get it!! if its your truck and its crap and your boss wants it then let him have it i dont see the problem unless am reading into it wrong,
arrhhhhh i read it again he wants it chipped, i get you now

if your boss is chipping it to get better mpg figures thats quite a grey area , the reason is that you will only get better mpg figures if you can resist flooring it when chipped otherwise you will lose mpg, although with only having 13mpg i suggest that the intake system could do with a good clean especially if it has the egr system in place as this cokes up the inside of the inlet manifold , just claning this can gain alot more power and mpg due to less restriction, in the manifold. also injector cleaning improves your combution process so get them cleaned aswell. along with an intercooler flush as over time oil from the turbo seeps into the intercooler causing a sticky oily substance to form this in term causes alot of drag on the air passing through.

one other thing chipped diesls do go thru clutches quicker when chipped due to the increase in torque but like i said it is down to how you drive .

here is some pics of what your inlet manifold could look like (pics taken off a tdi golf with egr just for demonstraton purpose)

al_P:
one other thing chipped diesls do go thru clutches quicker when chipped due to the increase in torque but like i said it is down to how you drive .

Is that why you see sooooo many cars and caravans broken down■■? :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(Small engine asked to pull almost a brick wall in a head wind) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

AND I HATE CARAVANS!!!

I know some OD’s who love chipping, have it done to their cars as well as trucks.

I think it depends on how its run. Like you said if its a big V8 Artic pulling half the plated weight all the time then you’d see some return in remapping. But a 7.5 pulling a trailer fully loaded all the time? its just going to burn clutches, oil and fuel surely?

Alex

Scarab:
I know some OD’s who love chipping, have it done to their cars as well as trucks.

I think it depends on how its run. Like you said if its a big V8 Artic pulling half the plated weight all the time then you’d see some return in remapping. But a 7.5 pulling a trailer fully loaded all the time? its just going to burn clutches, oil and fuel surely?

Alex

Cheer Alex and all for the info and advice…

Just how do you break that kind of news to your boss…■■?

I TOLD YOU SO…THERE GOES ANOTHER CLUTCH perhaps… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

just to clarify that picture is of the egr intake system not an exhaust ha ha

what happens is that the oily substance goes from the turbo thru the intercooler and then just before it goes into the inlet manifold it goes thru the egr which then the oily substance is mixed with soot from the exhaust gasses this then causes the above picture a black tar like substance

I run an 18 ton flatbed, usually with about 5 ton on average and it does around 13-15mpg. I also have 7.5 ton which will do around 18-20 mpg, but with trailer on it drops to about 15. You do get a 6 ton payload with 7.5 t and 3.5 t trailer.

Our new TM told me he’s gonna get new lorries with bigger engines because ours only do 56 flat out :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :unamused:

Davidbaldwin:
I run an 18 ton flatbed, usually with about 5 ton on average and it does around 13-15mpg. I also have 7.5 ton which will do around 18-20 mpg, but with trailer on it drops to about 15. You do get a 6 ton payload with 7.5 t and 3.5 t trailer.

When boss said :cry: 13mpg :cry: , we didn’t know if he’d done his calculations with/without trailer work, probably both. But, been on trailer work today and yesterday so lets see what’s worked out now, maybe 8mpg :open_mouth: :laughing: :open_mouth: . Anyway, been speaking to a few friends about ‘chipping’ and they just laughed :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They all said the same thing… 10 year old ‘German Bedford’!! NOT WORTH IT!!! OK, TM said it’s only done 311000kms and it’s still young :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Yeah right, before we got it, it was a parcel delivery vehicle, so you can imagine it’s probably been ‘ragged’.

Just as a example, yesterday, leaving Rothbury (me and trailer well LOADED!), heading past the Cragside entrance, (anyone know it?), it’s uphill all the way out that way and…

I WAS DOWN TO 1ST GEAR!!! 'til almost the cross roads at the A697, and even then, truck was stuggling :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Andy Rich:
Our new TM told me he’s gonna get new lorries with bigger engines because ours only do 56 flat out :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :unamused:

Aww bless him, where they find him?? :laughing: :laughing: