Chipping lorries

Was just wondering if anyone has or has had their motor chipped or remapped and if they’ve had any problems with the lorry not being able to take it or if it’s been a success? I’ve got a 10 month old Daf XF105/460, it’s not short on grunt but always looking for a bit extra fuel saving. I’ve just had it done on a 60 day trial, so far so good, just wondering if there’s any horror stories out there, cheers.

Does a 10 month old Daf not come with warranty? if it had more than 10 months warranty it will have gone now.

I did run it by my local dealer first for that reason, not sure if it’ll go for all dealers but they were ok with provided we didn’t go daft and give it hundreds more. It’s a little over 500hp just now and easily averaging just under a mpg better than before, as I say it’s only been on just under a week so it’s not set in stone yet, just need to plug lap top in and it’s back to its original settings. Was just looking to see what kind of results other folk were getting.

GJM 9:
I did run it by my local dealer first for that reason, not sure if it’ll go for all dealers but they were ok with provided we didn’t go daft and give it hundreds more. It’s a little over 500hp just now and easily averaging just under a mpg better than before, as I say it’s only been on just under a week so it’s not set in stone yet, just need to plug lap top in and it’s back to its original settings. Was just looking to see what kind of results other folk were getting.

What, the chipper had the codes to remap the ecu in situ through the interface? i had a tractor done and they removed the chip from the ecu, ie peeled out the solder and removed the chip, flashed it and refitted, it lasted 300 hrs then cost me 3.5k to sort the mess out, you want HP, buy it with the truck, you may be lucky, i hope you are.

This looks suspiciously like a thread that is going to turn into an advert. If it does, it will be removed :slight_smile:

Paul

Nothing physical was done to motor at all, lap top Plugged into cab, the same way the dealer would themselves. I’ve got one of our tractors done too, the dealer did that one the same way, nothing physical and can be taken away at any point. Neither the truck or tractor were done for power, purely for fuel saving and if it wasn’t going to make any difference I’d just get it put back, but tractor is doing better on fuel which is why I looked into it for the truck. Just play it by ear over the trial period for the lorry and see how it does. Sorry to hear yours didn’t work though.

repton:
This looks suspiciously like a thread that is going to turn into an advert. If it does, it will be removed :slight_smile:

Paul

Awww come on Paul you take away all the fun :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:
Awww come on Paul you take away all the fun :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe I’m getting cynical in my old age but 99 times out of 100 when a brand new user comes along and has a first post along the lines of “I’ve just bought product X, has anyone else got one and what do they think of it?” they are actually the manufacturer/seller/whatever of product X thinking that if they ask it as a question that it somehow isn’t an advert and will be allowed to stay…

Paul

repton:

billybigrig:

Maybe I’m getting cynical in my old age but 99 times out of 100 when a brand new user comes along and has a first post along the lines of “I’ve just bought product X, has anyone else got one and what do they think of it?” they are actually the manufacturer/seller/whatever of product X thinking that if they ask it as a question that it somehow isn’t an advert and will be allowed to stay…

Paul

Or freight forwarders above a hairdressers ■■ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

repton:

billybigrig:

Paul

I must say the 60 day trial seems strange, i regard ‘chippers’ as drug peddlers and they rarely give much away.

Don’t worry Paul, no rep here. Was trying to have a look through a few forum things the other night to see if many folk had experience with it but couldn’t find any so thought I’d ask myself.

I used to agree with you until recently when it can be done properly from the dealer, still under warranty, but only if they do it. That was the tractor one I was talking about there. I would’ve only done it through someone reputable, I don’t trust these guys guys with scotch locks and soldering irons. As I said I’ll see how it goes.

I have had 2 Scanias chipped. First thoughts are, I would never chip anything less than 2 years old. Nothing is bedded in yet. Second thought, and from experience, remapping will always find the weak point in any vehicle. It was the turbo on the last one, but to be fair, it had done 850k. I would chip anything, with faith.

I prefer burger king chips to mcdonalds chips. But then I discovered you can chip a butty!! Never looked back since!

I got my Volvo fh chipped at 600k and it’s done over 1m now and no problems much better on fuel and pulls like a train best £600 I spent

Mr edwards:
I got my Volvo fh chipped at 600k and it’s done over 1m now and no problems much better on fuel and pulls like a train best £600 I spent

Just the 1m? should be good for another 2 million now, i hear that chipping cleans the bores out and reinvigorates the injectors too :sunglasses:

I may have got this wrong, but I was under the impression that the only difference between a 420bhp Volvo and a 480bhp Volvo was the chip?

what sort of prices are we looking at for this then?
my MAN is only a 430 so it could do with a bit more go, its just reached 700k last week and tbh that was the point i had told myself i was going to get rid of it but with fuel prices the way they are i,ve decided to keep it and tidy it up a bit, so where do i go for a few more horses?

I phoned an advert I saw in truck and driver mag, think the company is a part of Collins performance engineering. I’d google truck remapping and there will be loads of them out there, email or call a few and get a quote, I paid £390 and it gave me 18% more power an over the last five weeks or so we are up nearly .7 mpg on average, so as far as I’m concerned it’s almost paid for itself already.

390 quid seems very reasonable, i was expecting a lot more than that , i paid £500 to have my audi chipped so i thought a truck would be double that

just did a google, might bin the remap and just go for this instead

evolutionchips.co.uk/Vehicle … moval.html

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: