Chinese Tyre Brands

Whilst stuck in traffic the other day I started looking at the brands of tyre on other trucks.

Ling Long
Basoon
Green Dragon
and my favourite

Double Happiness :smiley: :smiley:

Any other good ones out there?

triangle tyre, bit of a goodun.

did see what was left of a double happiness tyre, and well the owner wasnā€™t very happy about it eitherā€¦

I had a double happiness fitted the other week

I wonder if Chinese tyres are a false economy,I have a pair on my bicycle and the rear one is almost worn out after 2000 miles.

As with most things you get what you pay for. Unless your on lanfill sites all day certainly a false economy

double coin ?

Steady Lad, there are Guys out there who would, and probably will, no doubt, read a totally different meaning into your post.
I know where you are coming from, but, beware the Comedians, alas, with my posting this it may well open the flood gates to the trucking comics.

I believe Hankook are made in China? They seem to last exactly as long as (German-made) Continental Road-Trafics.

Always make me laugh whenever anyone says "I wouldnā€™t buy a Chinese SatNav, Iā€™ve got a TomTom :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Double Trouble

Getting away from the present topic I know, but, welcome back Harry. Iā€™ve not been on for a while, but, on my rare visits someone was missing.
Sorry to ambush this thread, but welcome back Harry.

Long Time?

Tickles me how you often see wagons at a truckshow that are bulled up to the max, light bars etc fitted, then shod with some really cheap & nasty budget tyres :smiley: :smiley:

Harry Monk:
I believe Hankook are made in China? They seem to last exactly as long as (German-made) Continental Road-Trafics.

Always make me laugh whenever anyone says "I wouldnā€™t buy a Chinese SatNav, Iā€™ve got a TomTom :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I think theres a big difference between a hankook and a double happiness though.

kr79:

Harry Monk:

I think theres a big difference between a hankook and a double happiness though.

Thereā€™s an even bigger difference between a Hankook and a TomTomā€¦

Remember Bridgestone and Japanese Dunlop. They were taken off bikes before they left the showroom, they were that bad, they would last for 30 years but were lethal in the wet. Bridgestone are now the tyre choice of many fast motorcyclists and all of the F1 teams. I wouldnā€™t be frightened of all Chinese tyres, but would draw the line at those with funny names. You can bet your life that within 5 years, most new cars will be running on bwack wubber from China

In 5 years most trucks ,buses and cars will be Chinese.They are making a coach called the King Long some people who run them say its nearly as good as a European model but at two thirds of the price.

alamcculloch:
In 5 years most trucks ,buses and cars will be Chinese.They are making a coach called the King Long some people who run them say its nearly as good as a European model but at two thirds of the price.

Globally, yes. But I think the Chinese are going to concentrate first on emergent markets in Africa, which currently buy used European trucks.So the home market for European truck makers is probably safe for the moment.There could be an interesting impact on the second-hand market here though.

Cars cost almost the same to build anywhere (thereā€™s a global price for steel and a global price for robots), but cost a lot of money to ship: hence the Korean and Japanese having car assembly plants in Europe.I donā€™t think thereā€™s much potential for the Chinese here, unless they have an assembly plant in Europe (MG at Longbridge?)

The King Long ā€˜worksā€™ in Europe because thereā€™s a lot of manual work in building a coach, and the shipping cost from China is relatively small as a % of the whole price of the vehicle. Initial models were a bit heavy, but they seem to have dealt with that now. I think most of the powertrain is European though.

Harry Monk:

Hankook are made in Korea and Hungary , good tyres and they were much cheaper than continental , Michelin etc

their car tyres are spot on too , they make a cheaper brand , firestar I think, that if you hold them up to a light you can see through the sidewall :laughing:

GasGas:

alamcculloch:

Globally, yes. But I think the Chinese are going to concentrate first on emergent markets in Africa, which currently buy used European trucks.So the home market for European truck makers is probably safe for the moment.There could be an interesting impact on the second-hand market here though.

Cars cost almost the same to build anywhere (thereā€™s a global price for steel and a global price for robots), but cost a lot of money to ship: hence the Korean and Japanese having car assembly plants in Europe.I donā€™t think thereā€™s much potential for the Chinese here, unless they have an assembly plant in Europe (MG at Longbridge?)

The King Long ā€˜worksā€™ in Europe because thereā€™s a lot of manual work in building a coach, and the shipping cost from China is relatively small as a % of the whole price of the vehicle. Initial models were a bit heavy, but they seem to have dealt with that now. I think most of the powertrain is European though.

You need to do careful research on the King Long drive-line, which seems to be European, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  engines, either ZF or Voith gearboxes, DANA axles and Michelin tyres but whilst some components are european others are built in China under licence. Overall though, whilst they certainly wonā€™t have Setra or Van Hool too concerned, at the cheaper end of the market they seem well worth a look to me.

sayley-boy:
double coin ?

Used them on tippers years ago good tyres for the price if doing site,landfill or demo work a Mich,Continental etc is just as vunerable to a lump of reebar as a cheapo, never come across ā€œDouble Happinessā€ Iā€™ll have to ask some of the guys on site who holiday in Thailand about that :laughing: :laughing: