Chinese New Year

Hi everyone,

I called up one of the agencies I get some of my work from earlier today, and was told that the market was quiet because of Chinese New Year – he says it’s always quiet this time in late January and early February because 60% of the goods coming into the UK came from the Far East and particularly China. I’ve often found that the going is slow in January and February, but the last few years the falling-off hasn’t been as bad as it was ten years ago. Has anyone else found that work falls off at that time, or is this guy just using it as an excuse?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of the agencies my mate has phoned have said there is no work. I’m lucky I work in the waste industry and it never goes quiet.

Ah I wondered why all the trunk runs to china were parked up in the services :smiley:

Must be quite…Been off for 2 weeks…Was dreading going back to see what state my new motor would be in.Rung in tonight to see what i’m doing monday…And my truck has’nt gone out for the whole 2 weeks…Result.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think it’s more that people in the UK don’t spend as much post-Christmas so there’s less demand for containers from China. If the demand was there, then the containers would be shipped.

Chinese New Year usually takes 4-6 weeks to affect imports over here.

Well,the M6 has been a dream this week :smiley:, let’s hold a referendum on having a chinky new year every week :wink:

weeto:
Chinese New Year usually takes 4-6 weeks to affect imports over here.

It does, but they like to have the ships back over there for the Chinese New Year, so the period affected is a lot longer. I’m a box jockey and this week has been dead. We had a number of drivers come back to the yard skelly only, and I’ve heard that Maritime have put 12 guys a week on holiday for the next few weeks because they haven’t got the jobs for them.

IndigoJo:
Hi everyone,

I called up one of the agencies I get some of my work from earlier today, and was told that the market was quiet because of Chinese New Year – he says it’s always quiet this time in late January and early February because 60% of the goods coming into the UK came from the Far East and particularly China. I’ve often found that the going is slow in January and February, but the last few years the falling-off hasn’t been as bad as it was ten years ago. Has anyone else found that work falls off at that time, or is this guy just using it as an excuse?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can tell you he’s not chatting ■■■■ if this agency supply air freight drivers, till mid February we won’t be the same, the last week I’ve had 0 deliveries and only collections for america, 3 jobs a day max. Typically, what happens is we send them the ■■■■ they need to make the stuff, and they send back the product, not going to start hitting full wack for another 2 weeks. We take 1-2 days to celebrate ours, they take the whole week.

Edit…

madmackem:
It does, but they like to have the ships back over there for the Chinese New Year, so the period affected is a lot longer. I’m a box jockey and this week has been dead. We had a number of drivers come back to the yard skelly only, and I’ve heard that Maritime have put 12 guys a week on holiday for the next few weeks because they haven’t got the jobs for them.

This is 2 sides of the same coin telling you the same thing, sea and air freight currently dead.

tommymanc:
I can tell you he’s not chatting [zb] if this agency supply air freight drivers, till mid February we won’t be the same, the last week I’ve had 0 deliveries and only collections for america, 3 jobs a day max. Typically, what happens is we send them the [zb] they need to make the stuff, and they send back the product, not going to start hitting full wack for another 2 weeks. We take 1-2 days to celebrate ours, they take the whole week.

Yes, he’s in Ashford, Middx and supplies a lot of staff to companies around Heathrow including air freight drivers.