Chilly car

Might it not be possible to look at the possibility of fitting a Engine heater which runs off Electric[240v]like we have fitted up here in the North.Maybe it would be cheaper and the car would not have to run so would remain locked.Just plug into an outdoor socket.

My diesel Merc starts to produce warm air after about 3 minutes of idling.

Darkside:

AndrewG:
Maybe im missing something here…start car, leave it running for 5 mins with the heater/air con on full demist while indoors having a cup of tea? Surely cheaper than the outlay for a seperate heater…

Yes you are. most modern diesels don’t heat up by ticking over, and you can knacker the DPF by doing so, also the car is unlocked and running outside, so some sod could drive off in it…

They do warm up and you wont knacker a dpf by idling it and no one will nick it if you lock it with the other key :bulb:

Radar19:
My diesel Merc starts to produce warm air after about 3 minutes of idling.

And heres the proof…

I know the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has the pre heater ‘option’. (Wife has one). You can use a phone app to set / start it.

Buy a bog standard fire out of Argos and leave it in the backseat, run an extension lead from your car all the way to your bedroom side table. When your alarm goes off in the morning plug your wee fire in.

You laugh but you know it would work a treat :laughing:

Hate cold mornings time my car heats up I’m just pulling into work, then nightshift have locked the truck doors so your 5 mins trying to even get into your truck. What kinda nightshift driver locks a ■■■■■■■ door in winter and doesn’t leave the night heater running?

merc0447:
Buy a bog standard fire out of Argos and leave it in the backseat, run an extension lead from your car all the way to your bedroom side table. When your alarm goes off in the morning plug your wee fire in.

I really like that idea, oldschool and no technology involved :laughing:
Only problem is that if it fell over/shorted out ect the heat coming from inside the car could end up being more than you bargained for defrosting your neighbours cars as well… :grimacing:

Worst car for taking too long to heat up is my Passat, about 8 mile at 60 to reach operating temperature, thank goodness for heated seats !!

My BMW can be set to warm up and defrost at a set time but only gets warm enough to clear the glass but once started the egr thermostat keeps the water from running around the engine as a warm engine uses less fuel so it heats the cabin very quickly

raymundo:
Worst car for taking too long to heat up is my Passat, about 8 mile at 60 to reach operating temperature, thank goodness for heated seats !!

Radiator blind…can you actually get them anymore??

AndrewG:

raymundo:

Yes it’s called a large bit of cardboard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I start the car 10 min before I go to work,heater full on,normally does the job

blue estate:

AndrewG:

raymundo:

Shouldn’t have to start bodging it up for a couple more years it’s only done just a tad over 50kmiles, but it is a dieseland has to go in to the dealer for the emissions bodge job so will ask them if it’s normal …

Get yourself a remote starter , on the fob from the comfort of your house . Have mine set to run the engine for 15 mins , all doors still locked (handy in the UK) , touch any of the controls without the keys on your person and it’ll cut out . Few hundred quid maybe ?

Double post , or get yourself two :blush:

AndrewG:
Maybe im missing something here…start car, leave it running for 5 mins with the heater/air con on full demist while indoors having a cup of tea? Surely cheaper than the outlay for a seperate heater…

Soooooooo many cars have been stolen this way

merc0447:

You laugh but you know it would work a treat :laughing:

Hate cold mornings time my car heats up I’m just pulling into work, then nightshift have locked the truck doors so your 5 mins trying to even get into your truck. What kinda nightshift driver locks a [zb] door in winter and doesn’t leave the night heater running?

Wow, that’s a really bloody good idea! A little fan heater would have interior warm and ice on Windows melting in under 5 minutes

109LWB:

Honked:
Just looked at the webasto prices PHEW might just set my alarm 5 mins earlier.

What system are you using 109lwb?

It’s a factory fitted webasto that I’ve modified to come on by using the follow me home headlights. Press the fob once to turn the lights on, and that also fires a signal to the heater to activate. Press the fob again to turn the lights off and the rest is magic.

The factory way is it just comes on when you start the car and the temp is under 5 degrees, but that’s not much use when the car is covered in ice and I’m late for work. :smiley:

Take it that’s a Disco 3 2.7 diesel.

raymundo:

blue estate:

AndrewG:

raymundo:

Shouldn’t have to start bodging it up for a couple more years it’s only done just a tad over 50kmiles, but it is a dieseland has to go in to the dealer for the emissions bodge job so will ask them if it’s normal …

Sounds like it needs a new thermostat TBH.

switchlogic:
Webasto style heater

Eberspächer? Air-cooled Citroëns used to have Eberspächer petrol powered air heaters fitted in colder climates.

eberspacher.com/applications/car.html

Then there is Calix defa.com/en/fp/