Childhood dream realised

5 months ago I did my class 1 and my adr, before that I’ve had my class 2 over 20 years driving tippers, grabs and roll on roll offs. 3 weeks ago I started at the firm my dads been at for 28 years. Now I’ve got a DR10 on my licence and less than 6 months experience of class 1’s but they’ve given me a chance.

Yesterday I got to realise a childhood dream, my dads been off for a few weeks recovering from a shoulder op and they asked me to use my dads truck and tanker! From the age of 5 I went everywhere with my dad, all over Europe every school holiday and yesterday I got to sit in his seat, pulling his tank, delivering caustic soda, just like him!! Now it might not sound like much but believe me it was a very emotional day, discharging caustic with a lump in my throat. As a child I used to dream that one day I’d be just like him and that day came yesterday!

He’s back in on Monday and I can’t wait to pull up next to him in the yard, sends a chill down my spine just thinking about it.
Does anyone on here work with there dad? He’s the longest serving driver at his firm and to meet people and see the respect they have for him is very humbling, I wish I would of done it years ago!

Hope I haven’t bored anyone just wanted to get that off my chest

Cheers

My Dad was . . . is my hero too.

By the time I realised what my Dad was telling me was right, I had my own kids who thought I was wrong.

Top fellas dads chas, I’m 43, served queen and country, got a couple of medals even but might as well be a child still for all the advice I get! Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t change any of it, but to work with your dad… Let me tell you its bob on! Pity he’s retiring in less than 12 months, job in brenntag anyone?

I knew my Dad was dying, the big ‘C’ got him.

We had a long weekend together on a hired narrowboat a few months before the end, a lot was said & a lot was unsaid that trip . . . just the 2 of us.

I’d always known that my Dad was proud of my achievements, but I arrogantly thought it was all down to me. It wasn’t until he’d gone that I fully realised I am the man he made me.

Don’t you dare drive that truck better than he can before he retires.

Not possible mate, I haven’t got enough years left to be able to hold a candle to some of the things he’s done, but on a lighter note I’m bloody well going to try! I always thought mine was a moaning know nothing, I know different now. Just want to make him proud now, massive boots to fill tho

Just read your first line, sorry to hear that mate, my ex wife’s a cancer nurse and I know it’s a cruel disease, only the good go early unfortunately

madiganzo:
Just read your first line, sorry to hear that mate, my ex wife’s a cancer nurse and I know it’s a cruel disease, only the good go early unfortunately

its a shame macmillan nurses arent so good when missus had cancer they see her once gave us theyre number from then on in no return calls on theyre voicemail nor any visits nothing

JJ192:
its a shame macmillan nurses arent so good when missus had cancer they see her once gave us theyre number from then on in no return calls on theyre voicemail nor any visits nothing

I know what you’re saying from my own experience.

I, along with my brothers, chased the leeches away from my fathers bedside.

Sadly, cancer is a very emotive subject & the Macmillan scroungers are able to get away with what they do because of it.

Chas:

JJ192:

I know what you’re saying from my own experience.

I, along with my brothers, chased the leeches away from my fathers bedside.

Sadly, cancer is a very emotive subject & the Macmillan scroungers are able to get away with what they do because of it.

it kind of ■■■■■■ me off all these donate to macmillan nurses they work hard maybe they do but from what i witnessed they did jack ■■■■ for no one at local hospital

JJ192:
it kind of ■■■■■■ me off all these donate to macmillan nurses they work hard maybe they do but from what i witnessed they did jack [zb] for no one at local hospital

Demographics plays a huge part in the grand scheme of things, but . . . .

If you were dying of cancer & had no living family or friends left, then you might actually like someone like a Macmillan nurse at your bedside.

IME. You can be doubly sure they’d be at your bedside. Unless you have nothing left to leave. If you own your own house for instance then you the man, if you a council tenant then you get just the 1 visit.

Maybe you have a few offspring that survive you, a spouse perhaps, or 3 good, strong sons. Where the Macmillan nursey now then?