Chickens from Middleton on the Wolds

Hiya

Just been talking to a man at Creyfs recruitment (Agy) in Hull about a job for ? Grampian Country Chickens? out of Middleton on the Wolds in East Riding of Yorkshire. Fridge work ?frozen? chickens to nationwide addresses. Max 5 drops.

Going to register with them to find out more and throw my hat in the ring.

They’re offering what seems to be a rate of just under nine quid an hour for a 12 hour shift starting between 10pm and 2am. Offering £8 quid for newbies.
Monday night to Thursday night - so that’d be 48 hours a week.

Anyone got any experience of these ? Grampian or Creyfs ?

How do I stand on night worker thing of restricted work time - or have I been misled.

Malc7

I think it is likely to be T Soanes & Sons out of Middleton unless Grampian have bought them out. Conor will tell you more if he sees this.

Have a read of Grampians recent (internet search) history here,

http://www.ukbusinesspark.co.uk/grs21197.htm

why are newbies being paid less, do they do less work?

GCT/GCC = innovate
I used to do GCT out of thorne ages ago, before it moved to Manton wood worksop, primarily to was chickens out of the thorne factory to supermarket RDC`s up and down the country. then there would be backhaul.
hope you like squeezing down narrow lanes as some of the smaller chicken drops are indeed small and tight.
Then again it could also be the livehaul side of the chickens from farm to factory

Fair point - biggusdickusgb should be same work same pay - but the exploiters are always there. Can’t remember exactly how he justified the differential - his colleague used a phrase ‘introductory rate’.

As I have had my licence nearly three years he just said - this would be the rate.

I think one of his fast talking sentences was something like - ‘obviously - recent test passers find it more difficult to get started’

Can’t remember the exact words.

malc … the £8 rate is, or should be the day rate, the rate for nights should be in the region of £9 - £9.50 p/hr + O/T after 8hrs.
These rates have pretty much been the same for several years everywhere

As your in Barlby ain`t there nothing more local, since there are several sites running trucks there…sure would beat travelling to work

Cheers pierre - have been trying to get Barlby Class 2 night work but with no luck.

malc7:
Cheers pierre - have been trying to get Barlby Class 2 night work but with no luck.

I would have thought Doncaster is easier to get to than Middleton on t’Wolds too.

Isnt there any class 2 work at Smedleys, (sorry Greencore) :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah Donny and Leeds are probably better to get to but I have been trying to get something to fit in with child rearing and other stuff - to no avail.

Anyway - it’s temp to perm and it’s probably worth a look into as I have had bugger all from anywhere else and it’s pretty frustrating with no money while everything else is going up and the price of houses is coming down.

Any suggestions as to where else I should look for Class 2/Cat C night work would be welcomed.

I want to move back to the Milton Keynes area as there is always something rolling into London…

Used to do work out of there myself, as a backload after tipping in leeds, and having 9 hrs off, only problem was having to load at 0200.
Anyway, Grampian have now sold out to a Dutch food company for £400 million…not bad for a guy who started in a chicken shed, and will get 80% of that money…

truckyboy:
Grampian have now sold out to a Dutch food company for £400 million…not bad for a guy who started in a chicken shed, and will get 80% of that money…

as you say not bad for a guy who started in a chicken shed, and will get 80% of that money. the local farmers up here always said freddy could land face first in thr preverbial and still come up smelling of roses

Middleton on the Wolds is Soanes. Their wagons were still in Soanes livery last week. It’s not the best but it does pay well on agency and there’s far worse jobs there. The wagons are loaded for you. Expect to do a bit of handballing. Last time I was there was a couple of years ago. They’ve got new motors since then so you don’t have to put up with the crappy Scania I had which needed the fridge motor radiator topping up twice a night :smiley:

As for temp to perm, they go through a fair few drivers, I’ll leave it at that.

As for Creyfs, that’s who I am registered with now. They’ve got a bit of work but not a lot. Pay is OK and it comes through on time. Only gripe is that despite sending timesheets in on time, I always get a phone call on Monday for my hours because they’re impatient and can’t wait until the afternoon for the post. If you’re wanting a lot of work, Prestige and Protemp are the ones to go for in Hull.

Regarding the night worker thing - there’s an opt-out for the 10 hour limit but the 10 hours is not including breaks so on a 12 hour shift, if you use your breaks and PoAs properly, you should have under 10 hours working time.

I dont know if its the same at all branches, but Ive been told that protemp (sheffield) have dropped there driving side of work, and are no longer involved in supplying drivers

Tell them to ■■■■■■■ you Want £11 for the first 8 hours and T&1/2 after that

Wheel Nut:
I

that’s not keeping up with things :wink: the deal is done, Vion took over Grampian this week !

CLICKY

reddragon:
Tell them to ■■■■■■■ you Want £11 for the first 8 hours and T&1/2 after that

Agreed.
And that shouldn’t matter if your a newbie or not.
Tell them you want your night out money weather your out or not.
On that money you could stay at home and get a pole to drive it for you. :laughing:

Denis F:

Wheel Nut:
I

that’s not keeping up with things :wink: the deal is done, Vion took over Grampian this week !

CLICKY

That wasnt my point Denis although it is now hypothetical. :wink:
It was just to reiterate the takeovers and subsequent closure of many firms that Grampian took over. I have known Soanes in Middleton all my life and remember them when we went to the seaside with a bucket and spade.

Malc…i dont believe that…you with a bucket and spade…your be telling me next you went on a Charabang…

So I registered with Cryfs and they are now owned by Jark.

The score on the chickens gets worse - they like to do an unpaid induction - ie a shift of 12 hours - it seems they like to see people ‘SHOW WILLING’.

Nice way of keeping the costs down.

Also - they have an agreement with VOSA apparently - they keep your tacho after your shift and give you a photocopy. I’d like to see a copy of that !

NO WAY - tacho’s are the responsibility of the driver.

£8 an hour flat for four weeks then £8.75 flat.

Sounds [zb] but - i need some money and some work.

What does everybody think of that !

auto censor dodge removed…Denis F

truckyboy:
Malc…i dont believe that…you with a bucket and spade…your be telling me next you went on a Charabang…

Here you are Bob, can you see the Sea yet? :stuck_out_tongue: