Cherbourg

Heading to Bordeaux from Cherburg next week,do many of you cut across to La Rochelle and back out nor Saintes.or stay on A83 till the A10.1st time down this route ,thanks

Do you want to use Autoroutes or Nationals or even a bit of both ?

Maybe the OP has decided to use “D” roads only? Or fly?

I think you are forced to use the Autoroute north of La Rochelle as there is a weight limit on that road from the town that the name escapes me ,its where the big bakery and the Routier which cooks on wood is.

kerbut:
I think you are forced to use the Autoroute north of La Rochelle as there is a weight limit on that road from the town that the name escapes me ,its where the big bakery and the Routier which cooks on wood is.

Thank you that’s all I wanted to know ,appreciate that,

Franglais:
Maybe the OP has decided to use “D” roads only? Or fly

bossman:

Franglais:

Why bother trying to be smart if you’ve nothing to offer .incidently what airport would you recommend
:neutral_face:[

I think Caen is nearest airport with commercial flights to Bordeaux.
Now, if youd said you you werent bothered about peage charges then maybe the A83 to A10 option is good enough. That does avoid the weight limit around Marans.
So I won`t bother telling you about using the N249 from Nantes thro Cholet, Bressuire and past Parthenay to join the A10 near Niort. Mostly dual road that will take about 20mins longer (depends on weight etc) than Autoroute. And save 45 euros on a class 4.

As well as the truck ban from 22.00 Saturday to 22.00 Sunday , there are numerous restrictions on freight traffic in the summer holidays on the free national roads to watch out for.They are in July and August.
If carrying perishables, frozen food.livestock,concert equipment, milk tankers are all exempt from restrictions .
From Cherbourg head to Le Mans/Tours/Angouleme/Poitiers .
The free national roads will slow you down with agricultural traffic,camper vans,caravans and dithering tourists saving fuel.
Numerous roundabouts and traffic lights.
Use the toll roads to save fuel and wear and tear on the truck .
Motorway service food is top quality.
On the free roads,eat in the Rouitiers
Set price drivers menu with five to six courses

Franglais:

bossman:

Franglais:

Why bother trying to be smart if you’ve nothing to offer .incidently what airport would you recommend
:neutral_face:[

I think Caen is nearest airport with commercial flights to Bordeaux.
Now, if youd said you you werent bothered about peage charges then maybe the A83 to A10 option is good enough. That does avoid the weight limit around Marans.
So I won`t bother telling you about using the N249 from Nantes thro Cholet, Bressuire and past Parthenay to join the A10 near Niort. Mostly dual road that will take about 20mins longer (depends on weight etc) than Autoroute. And save 45 euros on a class 4.

Good man ,thanks for that’s appreciate it .

No worries mate.
If you`ve loads of time then from Niort maybe thro Melle to pick up the N10? Personally, I hate the N10, but it is an option.