Cherbourg to Bordeaux

When and why did the authorities in France ban trucks on the La Rochelle road,it was possible to go on the national,now diverted to the peages.From memory,on the right going south,was that big “dogging” lay by,with an old camper van or three in it,old bangers inside!Then the Rouitier overlooking the bay,and views of the Atlantic,with the bird sanctuary,that doubled as nudist beach.Maybe to earn revenue on the toll roads.

don’t know the exact date mate, but been a while now.
its a weight limit now that way, shame, as i used too really enjoy running that route.

I did read on here that you can still drive on it if you are going to one of those fish restaurants for your dinner and knowing the French, I could quite believe it.

You can still use the road,but the ban comes
into force for Marais.So southbound at St Radagonde
on the D25 then the D10 to La Rochelle.
But it’s the D10 at Puyvaraut as the one alongside
the canal has a dogleg at the end,that took me
45 minutes to negotiate with a 19m load! :imp:

Before anyone has a pop.
There was an accident & I was diverted.
By the idiot gendarmes.
The canal rd looked great,but when I got
to the end there was the dogleg.

You can still use the road,but the ban comes
into force for Marais.So southbound at St Radagonde
on the D25 then the D10 to La Rochelle.
But it’s the D10 at Puyvaraut as the one alongside
the canal has a dogleg at the end,that took me
45 minutes to negotiate with a 19m load! DaveL

Private messageE-mail

Isn’t that the way we used to run to avoid the holiday queues through Marans?
not run down in a wagon since 2001 but been up & down to Sunbilla area a few times in car for hol’s.
If I remember correctly we used to run D25 & D10 to Villdoux (I think it was) then do a left for Andilly on another D rd (D20 perhaps?) & then split right on a short unclassified rd & come out on N137 just nth of Usseau where you meet the N11 by the routiers in the hollow.
Used to like the 2 starter menu in the fish restaurant at Yves, pied du porc mmm.
Called into Luc’s at St Hilaire Du Loulay a couiple of years ago to find he has sadly had a bad motrbike accident & routiers in different hands, not a patch on Lucs’ old Couquille du poisson chaud & Rognon do porc chargrilled. Many happy nights there,recall 1 sat evening with couple of good friends & 4 TFE lads from Bordeaux who got pleasantly vin rouged with us then dissapeared homewards about midnight bless 'em,happy days!

Liked the roast kidneys and fish at lucs.There was one place called the flying sausage truckers cafe.

Wasn’t that the one about 7kms or so from lucs towards nantes?
So many good routiers & yet Grande Bretagne can barely support a couple of dozen good eateries if that. Whos’ fault is it though? If drivers had passed by the caravans when they started to appear would more of the old cafes survived?
I must admit I do miss the quieter roads & the eateries & nights spent jawing away in 2 or 3 different languages, then wobbling out to bed thinking " I didn’t know I could speak that much French,Spanish,German or whatever".

Yes thats the one.Open at 5am for hot choc with fresh croissants.If the UK had food like in europe,they would not eat it,saying it was foreign crap,or such like.Or a top chef at a MSA,no punters for that too.

Lol :laughing: oh how very true. I once asked a lad stood at the bar next to me at Chateauroux why he was only drinking & not going for a meal ( we were on the kirs he was on the beers :stuck_out_tongue: ). He said he didn’t like french food so I explained that the menu was very varied, from local fare to french national dishes & european style dishes,no joy, apparently even pork chop & chips “aint no good mate” once you cross the channel. :confused: To be honest it was the food & drink that kept me in the job for so long :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL!!used to like the tripe(offal and inners) in Portugal and France.Fried kidneys,or liver at Miguels.Horse meat,and even heart was good,it was the sauces they use.Gendarmes were ok if drove overtime to reach a restaurant,at least we were off the road,food came first in France.Claudes at St Genis de Saintonage was ok,pretty waitresses.Colin still living in the village.Wonder waht the foreign drivers think of our tea and burger vans in the UK,hence why they cook from their trailer side boxes.The ones that say open all day and shut at 2pm prompt.And roast pork food caravans,is that safe to eat!Exit 17,at Liposey on forest road south of Bordeaux,good tucker,there is a few in that area.The red wine goes down like drinking water,must be the atomosphere.

FLIP:
:confused: To be honest it was the food & drink that kept me in the job for so long :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s the food and drink thats kept me on this side of the job. :laughing:

We’re of similar tastes I reckon Toby :slight_smile:
Liposthey was a fave haunt of mine,the resauranteurs wife reminded us of a well built Paula Yates,lovely grub in there,the only place I’ve had a beef rather than pork trotter. We used to load the other side of the N10 at Ychoux quite often too so had a few 24’s & 36’s there too. Was never a big fan of StGenis but you’re right,'twas a handy spot.
Funny,now I’m solely uk (mostly scotland & the north thank goodness) I do more camion cuisine than ever before, at least there are still some good cafes & lorry parks up north & scotland’s pretty lorry friendly when it comes to parking & pint time :smiling_imp:
By the way did or do you ever use the 7 day routier at Gracay on the N20? Had some great times there including one memorable weekend when a mate of mine was there with me & it was the owners wedding anniversary…Instead of taking his wife out on the saturday evening he & his chef & barman decided to get a tad worse for wear with us & we ended up (sans madame) in a disco somewhere near Vierzon :laughing: , needless to say his wife was somewhat cool towards us all on the sunday :unamused:
I say again…happy days :smiling_imp:

FLIP:
Lol :laughing: oh how very true. I once asked a lad stood at the bar next to me at Chateauroux why he was only drinking & not going for a meal ( we were on the kirs he was on the beers :stuck_out_tongue: ). He said he didn’t like french food so I explained that the menu was very varied, from local fare to french national dishes & european style dishes,no joy, apparently even pork chop & chips “aint no good mate” once you cross the channel. :confused: To be honest it was the food & drink that kept me in the job for so long :stuck_out_tongue:

Bravo :smiley: