Cheek from TomTom

Received an email this morning informing me that my three year old TomTom Expert with lifetime maps is now obsolete, and I need to buy a new one to get the latest map update, because my ‘old’ one is incompatible.

‘But don’t worry, we’re giving you an exclusive 35% discount to make the change’ (which isn’t applicable to the Expert)

Last TomTom I’ll ever buy.

I just bought an Expert (not plus) and was surprised to see the map look being quite different to older versions - no atlas style colour coding of road classifications as you used to get. Just looking at a couple of older tomtoms I have here the application software seems to have not been updated for over 2 years on my older versions.

I could imagine my 620 Professional loosing map updates soon but would be a bit peaved if some of the Expert versions get no updates in the near future.

How kind of them eh?
So a ‘lifetime’ to TomTom is 3 years.
Is there not a misrepresentation thing going on there somewhere in the warranty?
I’m assuming lifetime refers to the unit, not the customer :smiley:…, So it should read instead ‘maps available until we decide to make it obsolete’ hardly the same is it? :roll_eyes:
My old car sat nav I use is getting a bit old now,.so maybe I’m in the same boat.

I always respond to that kind of cynical built-in obsolescence by refusing ever to buy from them again. We should all do this. I once had a non-current but good Renault 18 GLE diesel estate. When I took it into the Renault dealer down the road for a minor repair, I was told sorry we’re not permitted to stock non-current parts. Needless to say I sold it immediately and never bought another.

if you think that is awkward try getting a part for a 3 year old french car built for the British market in france.

back on subject if you have had any other emails from them offering you a discount to update your satnav for any other reason i would write to tom tom and complain that you bought a lifetime subscription ad that you had been offered x percent just to upgrade regardless of the map issue

Some years ago I was getting these emails; the (car) sat nav they were referring in the emails was more than ten years old and long gone, but I was intrigued by the 33% discount offer. A quick email to them saying I now needed a truck sat nav and would they offer the same discount on a “pro” model, got me the reply “No but we’ll give you 25% off one of this range”.

So I got a TT 6250 with lifetime traffic updates. Seven years later the updates and inclusive live traffic are still going strong. BUT last time I looked the new models which replaced this no longer offer “lifetime traffic”.

The “lifetime” aspect refers to their support for a particular model, not any external factor, but seeing as my 6250 has now been superseded by the newer models, this criteria must be something they decide internally.

Had the same problem with mine for the last couple of years but as I drive very little now I have not bothered to buy a new one and it still works just fine for most of the journies I do, the place I get a problem is on the new bit of the A14 (Cambridge to Huntingdon) as most of the time now it thinks I am crossing fields! If I buy a new sat-nav it will not be a Tom-Tom, I will try one of the cheap ones on ebay!

Just got my email too tossers. 400 quid ISH sat nav and end of life after 3 years they can go do one as far as I am concerned.

Think I might go back to using my 6200 tbh. It wasn’t really that much if an upgrade to the expert to be fair.

Just checked and I bought my expert in Dec 22 not even a year and half old. Absolutely ridiculous and they wonder why waste is a problem. I’ve still got my 6200 as I never sold it in the end and kept it as a spare.

It’s the expert that is no longer supported for new map updates that’s what the email is about.

Bit naughty that. Google Maps :ok_hand: (yeh yeh we know the risks before the usuals pop up)

I use their mobile app. I dont see why I should need dedicated hardware and their mobile app for trucks seems solid after nearly 2 years of use.

They’re stopping hardware sales in the USA anyway and focusing on apps.

Source: TomTom Partially Stops Selling GPS Navigators As Mobile Apps Are Unstoppable - UPDATED - autoevolution

Yep, glad i have kept my 6250 pro…prefer the map colours and still got lifetime speed cams and traffic on it, looked at an expert one but only get a year of speed cams :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
When they decide its life is over (ie. no more updates) i shall switch to using the app (if i’m still driving)

I got my expert in sept 22 and just received the email. Mine doesn’t understand stoping at lights or in traffic, doesn’t understand roundabouts as when I hit one on a flyover it begins spinning…
I’m guessing my satnav is going to forever think there’s roadworks on the 303 now because mine is forever wanting to send me along roads that don’t exist yet.

Are we sure it relates to the Expert? There didn’t seem to be a huge gap between the Expert and Expert plus that I could see.

I think there are currently 4 devices listed in my account. Oddly I never get any emails from them, only to a different email address that once had a device registered.

This thread suggests it might be a tomtom mailshot error?

Why the useless mail from tomtom? | TomTom Forums

Yes it gives the serial number of your device in the email and deffo relates to my expert not my 6200.

I’ve just updated both of mine to the latest maps available but I suspect there will be no future map updates.

I also use the app but only because I got an email asking if I would be willing to beta test it….if it gives a wrong direction, screenshot it, explain what it should be and send it off……it’s pretty gd tbf but my god….it kills the battery! I’ve also had the email about the hardware on my old 5150 being outdated but apparently I can update it…or I might just tap up our soon to retire driver who obviously won’t need his anymore

I`ve still got my trusty Trucker 6000 that I got from Very several years ago

Just had an email from TomTom apologising about the email - it was sent in error…
I have a 6250 btw

"Dear customer, We recently reached out by email about your device not being compatibile with our latest map. Regrettably, it has come to our attention that this message was sent to you while your current device is fully compatible with the latest map update, and there is no need for any changes.

Our apologies for any confusion this may have caused. We appreciate your understanding and thank you for your continued support.

Should you have any further questions or require additional information, please feel free to reach out to our support team."