Checking Tyre Pressure

Just reading through LGV manual preparing for theory tests. Are drivers really expected to go around vehicle every day with tyre pressure gauge making sure pressures are correct (for load, road conditions, etc…)? I can understand the need to walkaround each day but surely there is a limit to what is expected of the driver, even if it is the driver who will probably suffer the consequences if a problem is found.

Max-Cady:
even if it is the driver who will probably suffer the consequences if a problem is found.

You’ve answered your own question there.

Everything is for a reason.
If the speed limit is 30 ate you really expected to stick to it or go that little bit faster and hope not to get caught.

Does every load really need to be restrained just to go 10 miles up the road or do I risk not securing that 20 odd ton of chipboard after all it’ll only move if I don’t slam on the breaks, not forgetting your not the only one on the road.

Of course not everyone puts a pressure gauge on every day, most big outfits have their fleet checked on a weekly basis, but when your tramping one sole user Ots wise to check yourself every now and again .
When was the last time you check your car tyre pressure? same risk

Should every driver have there own pressure gauge? Having not worked yet difficult to know what some companies do themselves and what driver is expected do. What in you opinion should every driver carry with them in cab? Not really talking about tramping. Obviously spare bulbs and some simple tools.

In practice a daily kick/push around the tyres when you inspect them will soon show you if you have one at a low pressure (feedback from a steel toe cab boot can be surprisingly accurate), and if you keep an eye on your motor you’ll soon get to judge the state of pressures by a glance round during the day as you go about, you get to keep an eye on wear patterns too if its your regular vehicle.

The only time i ever actually check pressures with a gauge is if i suspect a low tyre or handling/grip issues lead me to suspect the pressures might be wrong on all tyres on an axle.
You won’t have time in a normal working day to check the pressure of every tyre with a gauge.

Juddian:
In practice a daily kick/push around the tyres when you inspect them will soon show you if you have one at a low pressure (feedback from a steel toe cab boot can be surprisingly accurate), and if you keep an eye on your motor you’ll soon get to judge the state of pressures by a glance round during the day as you go about, you get to keep an eye on wear patterns too if its your regular vehicle.

The only time i ever actually check pressures with a gauge is if i suspect a low tyre or handling/grip issues lead me to suspect the pressures might be wrong on all tyres on an axle.
You won’t have time in a normal working day to check the pressure of every tyre with a gauge.

I can’t help laughing when I read that, but at the same time I believe it! Do it to my car trailer tyres all the time, as one has an incredibly slow puncture. I just regret it when I do it in trainers! :confused:

As a driver a visual check or as said a kick is sufficient to identify a problem. Tyre pressure gauges are for mechanics and tyre fitters.

If it’s low you’ll see it.

Using a pressure gauge too often can cause leaking valves due to wear and tear on the seals.

Just looking at a tyre you’ll be able to see that it’s under inflated.

For about £5 you can buy a tyre pressure checker from maplin. Box said it’ll only read up to 90psi but it reads by truck tyres at 125psk no problem (I’ve doubled checked it against a 50p for some air machine at the garage). Just buy one and keep it with you as very few garages actually have a truck air thing that’s working and easy to use without blocking the exit of the fuel pumps.