Checking trailer MOT status

Has anyone got a link that shows the MoT status of trailers? Picked a trailer up today & the displayed disc was out of date but office confirmed it was ok. I know that discs are not issued now on retest but an out of date one set the alarms off, especially as it wasn’t one of our liveried trailers.

The only link I can find requires a number plate & the C------ number isn’t recognised.

Thanks in advance.

I don’t know how to check it or even if you can.

If it suited me, I’d throw the out of date disc away and keep a straight face when asking how I’m supposed to check something that the government has seen fit not to issue any more.

On the other hand, if it suited me, I’d say I couldn’t lift it because it’s clearly out of test.

I have in the past, come across a trailer that I knew had a fresh MOT, but the person writing the disc out had put the wrong year on it…

Only once though.

I.ve come across loads of trailers with old discs still displayed, all ours have been taken off and i just use a permanent marker to write on the month its due on the headboard, but to answer the op its on the dvsa database but it doesnt have public access

chaversdad:
I.ve come across loads of trailers with old discs still displayed, all ours have been taken off and i just use a permanent marker to write on the month its due on the headboard, but to answer the op its on the dvsa database but it doesnt have public access

The office is going to be busy taking phone calls from drivers picking up trailers from out bases, docks, customers, stores once the 1st year with no discs issued has passed. Hope the planners have a plan. :laughing:

chaversdad:
but to answer the op its on the dvsa database but it doesnt have public access

It does have public access:

check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ … 1411671455

Put the C number in and away you go, we are printing labels and sticking them on the old test discs at our place.

peterboroughmatt:

chaversdad:
but to answer the op its on the dvsa database but it doesnt have public access

It does have public access:

check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ … 1411671455

Put the C number in and away you go, we are printing labels and sticking them on the old test discs at our place.

Just tried it and it works for me. Cheers PBM.

We’ve a 4 a4sheets at our place but yes it’s slowly becoming out of date so I’ve got a copy and just adjust the dates on it as I go.

nick2008:
We’ve a 4 a4sheets at our place but yes it’s slowly becoming out of date so I’ve got a copy and just adjust the dates on it as I go.

A lot of the big firms have a document pack they give you with the keys and number plate… In there you get a list of trailer numbers and their MOT dates. But they update it monthly I think… So you’ve got a 1 in 12 chance of having to harass the lazy TMs. Then you can get back to finding a bar for the fridge!

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

I have better things to do, than worry about a trailer being mot’td. There’s a manger in the office who is paid to sort services, mot, tax, etc, Stop trying to find any excuse not to do a job, your employed to Drive, just Drive from point A to point B.

Just bin the out of date MOT disc and crack on.

Our job as drivers is to do a walk around check, not carry out research. When the MOT disc stopped needing to be displayed, it stopped being something we as drivers need to check. It’s your operators problem now.

rob22888:

Our job as drivers is to do a walk around check, not carry out research. When the MOT disc stopped needing to be displayed, it stopped being something we as drivers need to check. It’s your operators problem now.

I’m sure VOSA have the same approach when dishing out the fines now? It’s alright drive… You crack on with that illegal trailer I’ll just fine the boss.

Chillidoritos:

rob22888:

I’m sure VOSA have the same approach when dishing out the fines now? It’s alright drive… You crack on with that illegal trailer I’ll just fine the boss.

Well, what do you think they want you to do? Log onto a website and start making phone calls every time you hook up to a trailer? What if it’s 3am in an internet black spot.

Why not take it to the next logical step and make enquiries as to the tax status of every unit you get into, plus whether it’s had it’s latest 6 week inspection etc. It’s your operators job to check compliance in that regard, not yours. Just do your walk around check.

We have these on our trailers it makes things very easy they’re even on our hired trailers as this one is .
D1BA796B-6225-4FE5-AF57-098F4645FCEE.jpeg

Chillidoritos:

rob22888:

And they will just fine the Boss it’s one of those things that vosa allows us to take for granted… do your walk around check and if all ok crack on

Wiretwister:
Has anyone got a link that shows the MoT status of trailers? Picked a trailer up today & the displayed disc was out of date but office confirmed it was ok. I know that discs are not issued now on retest but an out of date one set the alarms off, especially as it wasn’t one of our liveried trailers.

The only link I can find requires a number plate & the C------ number isn’t recognised.

Thanks in advance.

How on earth can DVSA expect drivers to start ringing up some database expecting us to check the mot status of trailers. We don’t do it for units or for ved. So don’t fret. Doesn’t avoid the obligation for things obvious like tyres, reflectors, number plate holder, long vehicle reflective tape, spray suppression, side guards and generally anything hanging off/damaged besides suzies and of course brakes. We’re drivers not vehicle maintenance technicians (aka fitters).

bald bloke:
We have these on our trailers it makes things very easy they’re even on our hired trailers as this one is .0

Some of ours have that, depends what outfit carried out the MOT. I doubt you could take them as gospel.

When the discs went out posters went up in our depots that stated “you can trust us that all trailers on our fleet will have a valid MOT”. That from a company that’s pretty ■■■■ about compliance & driver checks being done properly, so I’m quite happy not having to bother to check anymore.

All these stories of firms putting stickers on trailers is just them making sure the office can blame the driver when they get caught running a trailer they failed to MOT on time.

Wiretwister:

Thanks in advance.

Got the link here and it does work for the Trailer numbers,
https://www.rha.uk.net/getmedia/0f267df9-0e4c-4485-91c1-30c571111be2/Annual-MOT-Test-Certificates-Trailer-Discs-v2.pdf.aspx

on a recent induction course i was told that the mot status of trailers is no longer an issue for drivers since they stopped issuing disc,any more than the tax is since they stopped issuing tax discs.

Tax, insurance, mot, are the operators responsibility,…

As long as a driver you carry out YOUR daily checks,and do them as you’ve been instructed, don’t worry.

I thought that the new system if nit displaying the MOT makes it solely the operators responsibility and not the drivers that the MOT is current. Of course the driver still needs to make sure it’s road worthy and without defects, but as long as it is fine with regards to that then if the operator says to a driver your taking this trailer, then it’s good to take. If vosa check and it’s got no MOT then on the operators head be it, not the drivers (again, as long as it’s road worthy)