Check and Use Your Trailer Brake

Juddian:

adam277:
The brakes come on as soon as the air line is taken off with tuffnells trailers.

I’ve seen plenty of drivers manually guide the a-frame into the vgb coupling via connecting the red airline and taking the trailer brake off and letting gravity do the rest.
I cant be certain but I highly suspect it was driver at fault.

Jesus wept, is this for real?
People actually release the brakes and ‘‘aim’’ the bloody coupling in whilst gravity does its thing :open_mouth: well i’ve heard it all now.

Exactly what I was just thinking-■■■■■■■■ to that!

andrew.s:

Juddian:

adam277:
The brakes come on as soon as the air line is taken off with tuffnells trailers.

I’ve seen plenty of drivers manually guide the a-frame into the vgb coupling via connecting the red airline and taking the trailer brake off and letting gravity do the rest.
I cant be certain but I highly suspect it was driver at fault.

Jesus wept, is this for real?
People actually release the brakes and ‘‘aim’’ the bloody coupling in whilst gravity does its thing :open_mouth: well i’ve heard it all now.

Exactly what I was just thinking-■■■■■■■■ to that!

That was what the fine was so large for. It wasn’t driver “error” it was a culture of cutting corners and management turning a blind eye. They deserve the book throwing at them and think they have been lucky with just a fine.

Rip to the driver

Management turning a blind eye? Christ on a bike, they should be in a bloody nut house.

Driver trainers, H&S dept, all layers of management involved there right up to the top floor should be bloody ashamed of themselves, and i still can’t believe any bugger would stand trying to guide a moving A frame into that tiny target, it simply beggars belief.

Indeed, if that’s what’s been going on and management knew about it but did nothing to stamp it out then the fine is well deserved.
The coupling and uncoupling of trailers on uneven ground is irrelevant. If correct procedures are followed it’s no more dangerous than the level ground in the perfect world but as the world ain’t perfect and flat you have to do it the right way.
R.I.P drive, such a needless waste of life [emoji17]

What a load of snowflake twaddle. God rest the dead man, let the rest of us learn from it and move on.

Every single one of these cases that results in big fines for firms not “protecting” people from their own choices results in a bit less freedom for the rest of us.

Same goes for the cringeworthy dullards who buy into insurance “discounts” by agreeing to insurance companies installing recording equipment into their “private” vehicles.

Fools. Every last one of them.

My sons got a black box for his first years driving. The reason? Purely financial. I hate it as much as him but the insurance industry has got us all screwed over by charging a fortune for something you’ve got to have by law.

Drempels:
What a load of snowflake twaddle. God rest the dead man, let the rest of us learn from it and move on.

Every single one of these cases that results in big fines for firms not “protecting” people from their own choices results in a bit less freedom for the rest of us.

Same goes for the cringeworthy dullards who buy into insurance “discounts” by agreeing to insurance companies installing recording equipment into their “private” vehicles.

Fools. Every last one of them.

Reading the post from Adam, who works for the company he says it is rush rush rush so I agree the firm hasn’t “protected” their people but were they also pushing them to cut corners? I am a night driver and the parcel trucks always fly around. If it’s that tight deadlines maybe people feel they have to cut corners. I agree they shouldn’t but pressure dies that to people. Yes its less “freedom” for the rest of us but I would gladly not be free to couple up that way. I passed my test in a draw bar for the record so know they can be a pain

I do sort of feel that the company shouldn’t be held accountable as they presumably didn’t teach the poor driver how to couple up this way if indeed that’s what happened.
Most of us have swerved correct procedure to speed things up or make it easier. On my stint with fridges I always split coupled (artic) because not doing so made it very awkward trying to get the suzies on and always ended up with me covered in grease. Thing is, because I’ve heard of people getting killed doing it this way I was always VERY cautious. I’d get out the cab, check the park brake was on, check the pin was in the jaws and not over the top, check the park brake again then connect the suzies. Doing this procedure makes split coupling no more dangerous than correct coupling.

I’m surprised by the high amount of trailers I pick up which aren’t parked with the trailer brake applied. I just don’t get it - 10 seconds to walk over and apply.

el_presidente:
I’m surprised by the high amount of trailers I pick up which aren’t parked with the trailer brake applied. I just don’t get it - 10 seconds to walk over and apply.

10 seconds? Why does it take you that long?

I’ve done work for one of the parcel companies, its standard practise to verbally abuse any driver who puts the trailer brake on. Shunters are under just as much pressure as drivers to get stuff moved yesterday. Despite it being "company policy " to park with a park brake, the shunters will have a word in your ear in a quiet corner of the yard if you do.

Nite Owl:

el_presidente:

I limp.

:grimacing:

el_presidente:

Nite Owl:

el_presidente:

I limp.

:grimacing:

:laughing:

Drempels:

It doesn’t really. Why should the firm that invests in a level concreted yard and doesn’t put drivers one mistake or misjudgment away from death, be competed out of business by the firm that sets up a yard on the side of Mount Everest and doesn’t make simple investments that allow workers to work safely and easily?

We know from experience that workers in general cannot be relied on work safely 100% of the time - for reasons of confusion, poor judgement, tiredness, inexperience, rushing in pressured circumstances, forgetfulness, or simply that workers don’t accept and internalise that the effort of following a particular procedure is worth the remote risk being mitigated against.

Why then do we tolerate managers who say “well he should have followed procedures”?

Why do managers first resort to procedures (which are often more, rather than less, convoluted than existing practice, and often aren’t bought into by the workforce), rather than simply making the equipment or environment inherently more safe and fit for purpose once a deficiency is identified?

nomiS36:
My sons got a black box for his first years driving. The reason? Purely financial. I hate it as much as him but the insurance industry has got us all screwed over by charging a fortune for something you’ve got to have by law.

I do sympathise with your son and I agree with every word of that, I’ve always thought that making something compulsory, then handing effective control of it to private companies was fundamentally wrong. I can see why you would do it for a year, but I imagine you would agree that it’s another bit of surveillance creeping into our lives.

As an aside,I cannot believe some of the things people are happy to post on social media, well within living memory, organisations tortured and killed people for far less information than most faceache accounts contain. Have we all gone mental?

I think adverts are less and less about selling stuff and more about conditioning, one that springs to mind is the dreadful car insurance one, where the family are trying to “get a better score” than each other. It’s like fleet management software scoreboards, idiot drivers crowing about how high their “score” is… Idiocy.

Yes I do agree it’s another level of surveillance. As the parent I can and am actively encouraged to log into his insurance online and check what he’s been up to, especially if he gets a warning. I’ve had a look out of curiosity and I can see exactly where he’s been, all the times he’s been there and whether he did any speeding! Needless to say, if he/we can afford to insure him next year, his second year after passing test, without the box…[emoji57]

nomiS36:
Yes I do agree it’s another level of surveillance. As the parent I can and am actively encouraged to log into his insurance online and check what he’s been up to, especially if he gets a warning. I’ve had a look out of curiosity and I can see exactly where he’s been, all the times he’s been there and whether he did any speeding! Needless to say, if he/we can afford to insure him next year, his second year after passing test, without the box…[emoji57]

I think it’s sad, the poor lad gets his own wheels and is delighted with his new-found freedom, only for some faceless suit to encourage his parents to spy on him :cry:

Drempels:

nomiS36:

I think it’s sad, the poor lad gets his own wheels and is delighted with his new-found freedom, only for some faceless suit to encourage his parents to spy on him :cry:

And i agree with you, but then i as a youngster and maybe you too bought and paid for our own half arsed rust buckets of cars, and we spent evenings and weekends either in scrap yards getting bits or under the bloody things covered in grease and skinned knuckles fixing them, and we paid for our own insurances and taxes out of our own pockets so our cars and our freedoms were nothing to do with our parents, mind you i’d left home by the time i was 16 anyway.

Times are different now, but i too am completely against this surveillance society, bloody bad enough a cctv on every street and google watching and recording your every click, buggered if i’d be volunteering for more and they can stick their discounts for having a spy in my car right where the sun doesn’t shine.

Juddian:

Drempels:

nomiS36:

And i agree with you, but then i as a youngster and maybe you too bought and paid for our own half arsed rust buckets of cars, and we spent evenings and weekends either in scrap yards getting bits or under the bloody things covered in grease and skinned knuckles fixing them, and we paid for our own insurances and taxes out of our own pockets so our cars and our freedoms were nothing to do with our parents, mind you i’d left home by the time i was 16 anyway.

Times are different now, but i too am completely against this surveillance society, bloody bad enough a cctv on every street and google watching and recording your every click, buggered if i’d be volunteering for more and they can stick their discounts for having a spy in my car right where the sun doesn’t shine.

Here here, or is it hear hear. Whatever, you’re bang on Juddian. I don’t think too many of us were angels in the early days (read indestructible) but the roads weren’t so crowded, our cars for the most part weren’t as fast and the place wasn’t crawling with scummers trying to sue everyone else. Not to mention the joys of making one good car out of three.

I do stand by what I said earlier though, and that translates to thinking about what we’re doing and not letting bosses or anyone else pressure us in to rushing about.

Where I’m at all the trailers are fitted with park brake buttons that come on automatically as soon as you take off the red line. The red park button pops out automatically so there’s no need to remember to do it.

Of course you should never rely on this and check but I’ve not known of any of these type to ever fail.

Conor:
Where I’m at all the trailers are fitted with park brake buttons that come on automatically as soon as you take off the red line. The red park button pops out automatically so there’s no need to remember to do it.

Of course you should never rely on this and check but I’ve not known of any of these type to ever fail.

Yeh we’ve got them also.
I admit that up to about 10 yrs ago I was guilty to never bothering with trailer brakes :blush: …Rightly or wrongly it was a throwback to the old ratchet brake days, when you used to go to them and they were seized up or knackered 9 times out of ten
Had to kick my own arse to get into the habit of using the buttons, :blush: …always use them now on the non self park braking ones.