Cheaper Road tax for working out of ports

Hi, I have been told that you can get reduced road tax for working out of ports. Can anyone tell me if this is correct.

Thank You

You can reduce your RFL by running 3x3 with an RPC certificate on combined transport. Meaning out of a rail terminal, rather than a port. Am surprised the concession is still there, but there is a significant reduction.

The RPC tax is only about £750.

On a side note I noticed a euro 5 Ryder where they’d paid the full whack of £1200 in tax, what’s that all about?

our euro 5 59 plate xf’s were £750 for 12 months 3x3 at 44 ton replaced with 62 plates same spec but £1200 road tax :open_mouth:

Last time I looked, the rate for running at 44t using 3x3 with an RPC on CT was £280 for a year. That is why I was surprised it still exists. Am currently in Band E, so paying £660 for six months RFL, but if I had an RPC I would be tempted to change back. I ran a unit for years paying CT rate, but felt that in the last couple of years that this must be an oversight by the Goverment. Current unit does not qualify for an RPC. When it first came out, it was a concessionary rate for three by three vehicles on air, which believe it or not was quite rare. Also, the criteria stated turning circle requirements and that the vehicle must only be used on multi-modal journeys. Which I always took to mean part of that was via railway. I do know some people who tax at this rate, and run their vehicles pulling tandems, and collecting and delivering boxes straight to port, so have wondered what VOSA make of it when or if they pull them.

Think the requirements for running un CT are a bit more limiting. I believe there is a distance limit, I have the detail some place and will try a find it.

I did run under CT for a couple of years on containers, not a vosa issue, could be different on multi agency stop though.

If you pm me an email address I will send you pdf that outlines the requirements for CT tax rate.

Thanks Baz. Cannot get PM or quote thing to work on this site using PC. Can you post as an attachment or a link?

Would be interesting to give the criteria for taxing on CT rate an airing.

Will put it on server and post link, wont happen till monday though.

CT.
http://www.truck1.fmcdb.net/CT_briefing.pdf

http://www.truck1.fmcdb.net/CT_rates.pdf

Rates prob out of date

Much appreciated Baz. Was surprised to read that CT only includes containers that are part of a Euro journey. You were right about how limiting the actual rules are. Am surprised that tax band is still available, and am surprised that operators running on general container work are allowed to get away with taxing at reduced rate.

p.s think rates are still valid. I recently taxed at quoted rate for my band.

Janos:
Much appreciated Baz. Was surprised to read that CT only includes containers that are part of a Euro journey. You were right about how limiting the actual rules are. Am surprised that tax band is still available, and am surprised that operators running on general container work are allowed to get away with taxing at reduced rate.

p.s think rates are still valid. I recently taxed at quoted rate for my band.

Like I say mate I ran with CT for a year or two on containers and have mates that still do. During that time had the odd vosa pull and as long as it was taxed the banding didnt seem to be an issue, if it was a multi agency stop and the revenue and customs were there it may well be a differnt story.

Exactly the same situation with me. The information you posted seems to have passed me by completely…and a lot of other people by the looks of it. At some point, I am sure somebody,somewhere, will ask the question about the relevance of CT tax band, and whether there really are so many hauliers doing local Euro box work!