Chassis or body?

When I load reinforced concrete or slippery bundles of steel pipe I try to hook as many of the straps as possible to the chassis, that’s how I was shown. I’m seeing a lot of loads lately, quite awkward heavy stuff with the straps only hooked onto the body. Is that okay?

Does VOSA have an opinion, they apparently want you to strap everything including things I never used to strap at all, but do they mind what you strap it to?

The side rails are where ratchet straps should go to, not the chassis. The chassis isn’t designed to work like that and it means the side rail makes two more rubbing points that could snap the strap.

Trailer dependant the body will either be bolted to or be part of the chassis anyway so using the chassis isnt going to be of any benefit, as above its just going to be two more rubbing points for the straps…

I’ve always been told to hook under the edge of the body, same as where the curtain straps go on a curtainsider, as this is all part of the body of the truck and thus part of the strength. Have seen people take long straps onto the central beam under the truck and was also told this was legitimate, but I’ve never used it incase the strap ever came off as it could come into contact with the wheels or other moving parts on it’s way towards the ground…could be interesting.

All depends who built the body how and what of , there’s some seriously poor riveted bodies/ side rails about .

Punchy Dan:
All depends who built the body how and what of , there’s some seriously poor riveted bodies/ side rails about .

Exactly this!

I’ve seen some people strap to a very poor looking rail, and thinking, that wouldn’t hold a drunk in a barrel of bourbon. Like anything, there are pros and cons to each way of doing it.