Charringtons tankers ellesmere port

Only just seen this while researching the company.
I worked for them for 25 years, Liversedge terminal.
Originally a joint venture with Charringtons it became Hargreaves Fuel Oil.
We were ALL made redundant in 84/85, a set of suits came in and closed us down, They said is was the poor service from British Rail that caused it, Liversedge was 100% rail fed from the Port and the service was appalling, the daily train was 9 hours late regularly and sometimes never showed up.
A lot of good hard grafting men built that company up from scratch, it was a good company and we all put a lot of years in only to be sold down the river. we were bitter about the way things went then and now 30 years later, I’m still bitter. :imp:

hi all, does anyone have any pictures of charringtons who used to run fuel from ellesmere port with erf’s in the 60s and 70s? a good friends dad used to work for them, and were hoping to suprise him a bit!!!

no one?

I thought Charringtons were from Brownhills on the A5, but a little search found they were from Bishops Stortford. How about a model from here?

or to stir the memories of the original company, Charrington, Gardner, Locket, London, Ltd

Or was it Charringtons that became Hargreaves Fuel and then United Transport Tankers?

Is this the same firm :question:

hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … ngtons.jpg

nianiamh:
Is this the same firm :question:

hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … ngtons.jpg

im not sure mate, ill try and find out!! i reckon it probably is!

wheelnut, i have no idea mate!! again, ill try and find out but cheers for the info (where did the model come from?)

I found the diecast model here.

www.vectisdirect.co.uk

Charringtons seemed to be a common name in the fuel industry, maybe Diesel Dave has some more local knowledge of Ellesmere Port

will have a word with me dad, he worked out of castrol stanlow for 20 odd years he might be able to cast some light on it…pete

:slight_smile: I lived in Ellesmere Port as a yoof.

Sorry Matt, I’ve no pictures but some more info:
They were called Charrington Hargreaves and were based at the Mobil terminal in North Road. On the site now is that huge empty warehouse alongside the M53, next door to the Scania dealership.

They had quite a few Rootes group Commer tankers as well (rigids) and were coloured navy blue cab, red chassis and silver tank, as I recall…

:wink:

I had an email from a guy in Australia (Peter Tossell) who drove for Charringtons. He sent me a picture of an Atkinson borderer he drove for them, he had the vehicle from new registration number HGY 263N, it is in a green and yellow livery. regards Big Al

hi,my dad used to drive for charrington hargreaves in ellesmere port,he had a 4 wheeler commer 2 stroke tanker delivering heating oils,i remember going with him on one of his last runs with them to coniston a school,i remember this as it was the day donald campbell was killed on coniston.i think they ended up as hargreaves fuel oils running in orange livery his charrys tanker was a charcoal grey but i remember dark green ones aswell.my dad died last year i will see if there are any old photo,s…tim cooper

Is this the Charrington Tankers your looking for ?
These photos are to be credited to Arthur Ingram’s copyrite.

An article from August 1994

A few more of Charrington’s found by Stanfield.