Charles Poulter/ Davis Bro's

Hi, sorry to hear that, I didn’t know, we haven’t spoken for years.

Sounds like he had a good life though.

SUPERCUBE:
Hi, sorry to hear that, I didn’t know, we haven’t spoken for years.

Sounds like he had a good life though.

Thanks - to a point he had a good life. He was smart, charismatic and attractive but terribly self destructive and it proved his downfall.

Jacksfullofaces:

SUPERCUBE:
As I recall Lew went on to run that firm from Loughton doing Middle East, can’t remember what they was called. is he still about?

You are thinking of Mavertons. After a long chequered career and a dabble in property development - he wrecked his health with a descent into alcoholism and diabetes. Got involved with a scheming female and finished his days in Whipps Cross Hospital in 2011 dying from sepsis.
Louise

Sorry to hear of the passing of Lew, as you say a man who new and loved transport, born of the old school, who didn’t need a university degree in logistics to be able to get a load from A to B, like they do nowadays, like you say known to like a sensible drink or two and liked female company my late wife was doing some translation work for him, French or Russian and the cheeky sod tried to chat her up! Sad to hear a women was involved in his down fall after all the toe rags he dealt with, Hear he had some dealings with Tanker Bill out of the East India docks, then in them days everybody did. I know Whipps Cross Hospital has sad memories for you for me they are happy ones as my first son was born there, proud to say I knew him.

Ossie

OssieD:

Jacksfullofaces:

SUPERCUBE:
As I recall Lew went on to run that firm from Loughton doing Middle East, can’t remember what they was called. is he still about?

You are thinking of Mavertons. After a long chequered career and a dabble in property development - he wrecked his health with a descent into alcoholism and diabetes. Got involved with a scheming female and finished his days in Whipps Cross Hospital in 2011 dying from sepsis.
Louise

Sorry to hear of the passing of Lew, as you say a man who new and loved transport, born of the old school, who didn’t need a university degree in logistics to be able to get a load from A to B, like they do nowadays, like you say known to like a sensible drink or two and liked female company my late wife was doing some translation work for him, French or Russian and the cheeky sod tried to chat her up! Sad to hear a women was involved in his down fall after all the toe rags he dealt with, Hear he had some dealings with Tanker Bill out of the East India docks, then in them days everybody did. I know Whipps Cross Hospital has sad memories for you for me they are happy ones as my first son was born there, proud to say I knew him.

Ossie

Ossie
Who was Tanker Bill?
He was murder with women - chatted up every female in sight and produced children with a few of them - he drove my mother Anita mad with his behaviour. On one occasion she stood outside The Maypole Pub in Fairlop throwing cans of baby food at his car because he had been there all evening. Car was wrecked and he slunk home and she joined his mates for a few drinks.
Finally he got involved with one who took advantage of his ill health and stole every penny he had. At Whipps Cross Hospital I had riots when I learned he had been dumped on the Liverpool Care Pathway with the connivance of the female. I fought all weekend to try and gave it rescinded - if he could have hung on a little longer I could have got legal assistance.
The staff hated me because I questioned everything and made waves.

Davis Bros, I know I have mentioned this before on a different thread, But can any remember Davis Bros, Having a depot at Gateshead, They ran a roaming night trunk which involed Warrington, London, Etc In the early days the ran some very old motors like the late 50s, They were still running an old 8 wheeler Scammell Ex Currie & Co Ltd, Reg.JVK.■■?, the last bloke that had the pleasure of driving it, If you can call it that was Larry Parks an Ex Orrell & Brewster driver A nice bloke as I recall, Happy Days Eh, Regards Larry.

Jacksfullofaces:

OssieD:

Jacksfullofaces:

SUPERCUBE:

Louise

Ossie

Ossie
Who was Tanker Bill?
He was murder with women - chatted up every female in sight and produced children with a few of them - he drove my mother Anita mad with his behaviour. On one occasion she stood outside The Maypole Pub in Fairlop throwing cans of baby food at his car because he had been there all evening. Car was wrecked and he slunk home and she joined his mates for a few drinks.
Finally he got involved with one who took advantage of his ill health and stole every penny he had. At Whipps Cross Hospital I had riots when I learned he had been dumped on the Liverpool Care Pathway with the connivance of the female. I fought all weekend to try and gave it rescinded - if he could have hung on a little longer I could have got legal assistance.

Tanker Bill (Bill Bailly) was in the same line of work as your dad, but he was also a fixer if you needed something doing quickly ie. paperwork, permits ect he was the man to see he could get the impossible done with just one phone call, a great east end character, sadly gone.

Ossie

Yes Tanker Bill sounds like a useful person to have known :laughing:
Louise

My uncle john poulton worked for poulters in the late 60’s
here’s a photo suprised there are no more.

pollystag:

Rough bit of roping and sheeting on that one !

I think I have one or two photo’s with these lorries and my dad. When they turn up I will post them. Seeing this one brought back memories.
Louise

haddy:

pollystag:

Yes Dave, let’s hope Bewick doesn’t see it!
Bernard

OssieD:

Jacksfullofaces:

OssieD:

Jacksfullofaces:

SUPERCUBE:

Louise

Ossie

Ossie
Who was Tanker Bill?

Tanker Bill (Bill Bailly) was in the same line of work as your dad, but he was also a fixer if you needed something doing quickly ie. paperwork, permits ect he was the man to see he could get the impossible done with just one phone call, a great east end character, sadly gone.

Ossie

Any idea what happened to Bill these days,Oz?
One driver came off the FX boat & got a D?D ban. One call to Bill & the lad didn’t lose a trip,did the next 12 months on an Irish licence.

albion1938:

haddy:

pollystag:

Bernard

When I first looked at it I thought it may have been them Ford stillages they used to carry with the steel posts on each corner, they used to played havoc with your sheets, rope the stillage down first then drape your oldest sheets over the top and lightly tack it down, they used to blow around like a sail in the wind, but that was about all you could do, but on a closer view of the photo I don’t think its them.

Ossie

albion1938:

haddy:

pollystag:

Bernard

Par for the course in Cockney land I believe :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: Bewick.

And the load isn"t against the headboard . . vosa would have a field day.edit
First drop was at the front?

Suedehead:
And the load isn"t against the headboard . . vosa would have a field day.

And it’s had a Leyland derv tank fitted in place of the tiny origional one by the looks of it.Bewick.

The company was wound up in 1971, I must have been having a good time since because it doesn’t seem like 43yrs ago. Jeez I feel old now!

pollystag:

Hiya When they started going to the auction Bowker Blackburn bought three
two of which were flat fronted and one Bullnose they are all on the T/N
All ex; Poulter.Maybe the driver of the one I had is still knocking about ■■?
I must say there not everyone’s cup of tea but I loved it.and the rest of the mercs
I drove over the years.Late 60s.
GUESTY44

Piggyback.jpg

lcb:

hopey1945:
I, recall, I was employed by “Hubbie”, at Wapping High Street, then called: Larrow Transport!!! Red vehicles, I had a AEC, then a long nosed Merc. I recall “Murray” the ol;d boy on his Scammel Wrecker a big old truck. He smoked always large King Edward cigars. The cafe’ oppersite was brilliant: You could’nt leave your vehicle of fear someone would nick it, or ropes & sheets. Hubbies brother was “Frankie” another nutter, I saw him pick up a spare wheel and threw it at another driver that he was arguing with: I phoned Hubbie from Mabchester for a reload on one trip, he gave me details, I then asked where I could get fuel, why dont we have cards!!! He replied: " Agency card boy, push the …cking thing home" WHen I got back to yard he gave me a tenght of hose pipe■■?

Onto his brother, in the Highway: Charles Poulter’s, this is “Sonny” long nose Merc all work was Fords, Dagenham to Hailwood return. Never stopped!! So many funny memories and experiences but hard good old days. Both yards had Turks as fitters. I do and was then based in Birmingham so I was able to get home on most trips.

I Hopey,
The wrecker was manned by Moriaty alias Morrie .What every body forgets that it was Davis Brothers and the whole lot was intermingled only kept separate for the purposes of licensing authorities no Internet in those days.The brothers were very close in as much they all lived within 400yards of each other in Southend,I only know of one son Simon that is still around and he spends most of his time in Israel.I worked for them all and knew the family very well and great memories as was said before not many of us left and I still defend them as good employers and good payers.

Hi lbc, you say they lived in Southend? Surely you mean Southgate, I know Solly and Ronnie lived at Arnos Grove.

OK guys I found this from old days