ben walker:
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/cambuslang/scan0002.jpg
i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab28 … an0002.jpg

Made a mess of these.Ben

i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab28 … an0003.jpg

SUPERCUBE:

hopey1945:
Anyone there from these days??

Hi, I was on for poulters from mid 60s til they were wound up, can’t remember what year that was, perhaps someone can jog my memory.
My name is Bob Heath, the names I recall are Jim Cahill yard foreman, Alfie green who went to Turkey and bought back all the fitters, Alan Kendall, Alfie Morris, jimmy summers, john Bergen, too many to remember, these were all good blokes to work with, we took delivery of them new long nosed MBs and were the envy of a lot of London firms, but we ran day and night, not a lot of time off then.
When I first started I was driving for Thomas potter priestly, which was owned by solly, doing London deliveries, rolls of cloth to the Jewish tailors in the east end. Happy days!

Hiya “SUPERCUBE”
Inever worked for poulters but I do know they were all grafters like most in that
time of super trucking, They stopped at Dordon cafe on the A5.I never thought that
I would be driving one of there M/Bs
I have posted Quite a few of my pics on here of the one that was allocated to me,
Most did’n’t like them but seemed to be amagnet to the M/Bs throughout my time as a driver I have had a few.
Hope you like the pics if you haven’t saw them,

GUESTY44 :smiley: :smiley:

Last before retired.jpg

Guesty44:

SUPERCUBE:

hopey1945:
Anyone there from these days??

Hi, I was on for poulters from mid 60s til they were wound up, can’t remember what year that was, perhaps someone can jog my memory.
My name is Bob Heath, the names I recall are Jim Cahill yard foreman, Alfie green who went to Turkey and bought back all the fitters, Alan Kendall, Alfie Morris, jimmy summers, john Bergen, too many to remember, these were all good blokes to work with, we took delivery of them new long nosed MBs and were the envy of a lot of London firms, but we ran day and night, not a lot of time off then.
When I first started I was driving for Thomas potter priestly, which was owned by solly, doing London deliveries, rolls of cloth to the Jewish tailors in the east end. Happy days!

Hiya “SUPERCUBE”
Inever worked for poulters but I do know they were all grafters like most in that
time of super trucking, They stopped at Dordon cafe on the A5.I never thought that

I would be driving one of there M/Bs
I have posted Quite a few of my pics on here of the one that was allocated to me,
Most did’n’t like them but seemed to be amagnet to the M/Bs throughout my time as a driver I have had a few.
Hope you like the pics if you haven’t saw them,

GUESTY44 :smiley: :smiley:

OK Guys. Anyone around to recall this:-

Here it is again but with the passenger door “locked” this time. A lick of paint on the N/S mirror too.

IMG_0002.jpg

Got this photo off e-bay. Could the motor behind be the same old Leyland ( Hippo? ) That model was a bit before my time,they probably had loads of them but you never know! Nice looking AEC in front though!

6wheelAEC_edited-1.jpg

haddy:
Got this photo off e-bay. Could the motor behind be the same old Leyland ( Hippo? ) That model was a bit before my time,they probably had loads of them but you never know! Nice looking AEC in front though!

The photo of the “preserved” Hippo is not what it seems. When on show it has an authentic Yiddle registration number but it is not for that lorry. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

gingerfold:

haddy:

The photo of the “preserved” Hippo is not what it seems. When on show it has an authentic Yiddle registration number but it is not for that lorry. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The registration and fleet number on this Hippo is the same as a working Hippo of Davis Bros, wether it is the same Wagon or not i dont know.
there is another Photo on Classic Commercials of a Davis Hippo with the Reg JAS737 but with the same Fleet number 602.

ben walker:

gingerfold:

haddy:

The registration and fleet number on this Hippo is the same as a working Hippo of Davis Bros, wether it is the same Wagon or not i dont know.
there is another Photo on Classic Commercials of a Davis Hippo with the Reg JAS737 but with the same Fleet number 602.

There were / are wing nuts holding the number plate on, so that it displayed different registrations for show use and road going use. Crafty eh. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

To clear up some confusion there are actually two Leyland Hippo’s preserved in Davis’ colours.

1. TLH846 restore by Peter Davies, not P J Davies the photographer and rallied mainly up north.

2. JAS737 Owned, restored and rallied by John Rowell from near Peterborough and regularly seen at local rallies.

classicman:
To clear up some confusion there are actually two Leyland Hippo’s preserved in Davis’ colours.

1. TLH846 restore by Peter Davies, not P J Davies the photographer and rallied mainly up north.

2. JAS737 Owned, restored and rallied by John Rowell from near Peterborough and regularly seen at local rallies.

There is also another one with the reg YSJ897 on the Net and they all have the same fleet number 602, i think TLH846 is the original Reg of 602.

hopey1945:
I, recall, I was employed by “Hubbie”, at Wapping High Street, then called: Larrow Transport!!! Red vehicles, I had a AEC, then a long nosed Merc. I recall “Murray” the ol;d boy on his Scammel Wrecker a big old truck. He smoked always large King Edward cigars. The cafe’ oppersite was brilliant: You could’nt leave your vehicle of fear someone would nick it, or ropes & sheets. Hubbies brother was “Frankie” another nutter, I saw him pick up a spare wheel and threw it at another driver that he was arguing with: I phoned Hubbie from Mabchester for a reload on one trip, he gave me details, I then asked where I could get fuel, why dont we have cards!!! He replied: " Agency card boy, push the …cking thing home" WHen I got back to yard he gave me a tenght of hose pipe■■?

Onto his brother, in the Highway: Charles Poulter’s, this is “Sonny” long nose Merc all work was Fords, Dagenham to Hailwood return. Never stopped!! So many funny memories and experiences but hard good old days. Both yards had Turks as fitters. I do and was then based in Birmingham so I was able to get home on most trips.

I Hopey,
The wrecker was manned by Moriaty alias Morrie .What every body forgets that it was Davis Brothers and the whole lot was intermingled only kept separate for the purposes of licensing authorities no Internet in those days.The brothers were very close in as much they all lived within 400yards of each other in Southend,I only know of one son Simon that is still around and he spends most of his time in Israel.I worked for them all and knew the family very well and great memories as was said before not many of us left and I still defend them as good employers and good payers.

lcb:

hopey1945:
I, recall, I was employed by “Hubbie”, at Wapping High Street, then called: Larrow Transport!!! Red vehicles, I had a AEC, then a long nosed Merc. I recall “Murray” the ol;d boy on his Scammel Wrecker a big old truck. He smoked always large King Edward cigars. The cafe’ oppersite was brilliant: You could’nt leave your vehicle of fear someone would nick it, or ropes & sheets. Hubbies brother was “Frankie” another nutter, I saw him pick up a spare wheel and threw it at another driver that he was arguing with: I phoned Hubbie from Mabchester for a reload on one trip, he gave me details, I then asked where I could get fuel, why dont we have cards!!! He replied: " Agency card boy, push the …cking thing home" WHen I got back to yard he gave me a tenght of hose pipe■■?

Onto his brother, in the Highway: Charles Poulter’s, this is “Sonny” long nose Merc all work was Fords, Dagenham to Hailwood return. Never stopped!! So many funny memories and experiences but hard good old days. Both yards had Turks as fitters. I do and was then based in Birmingham so I was able to get home on most trips.

I Hopey,
The wrecker was manned by Moriaty alias Morrie .What every body forgets that it was Davis Brothers and the whole lot was intermingled only kept separate for the purposes of licensing authorities no Internet in those days.The brothers were very close in as much they all lived within 400yards of each other in Southend,I only know of one son Simon that is still around and he spends most of his time in Israel.I worked for them all and knew the family very well and great memories as was said before not many of us left and I still defend them as good employers and good payers.

Hello ICB.
The wrecker was driven by Moriaty smoking his Cigars,dont know Simon whose Son was he,the only one i know of still around is Parry Davis son of Harry i think he lives in Shropshire some where if you Google The Scammell register he has got some stuff on there, he has got the restored Scammel Highwayman Unit and Tank that Ken Oliver (Ollie) drove 210GYR and i think one of the Brown Hippos that are on the Net,not sure, can you remember Ubbys sons name he was always about in Wapping nice Lad,as you say good to work for and paid well.

Ben

Hi Ben
Simon was Frankie’s son,the next time I see him I wil ask one or two questions which time has clouded my memories.I know that you private posted me a while ago but I never received it.It is good to that I am not the only one that appreciated them.
Len

Hi, Folks, I REMEMBER in the late 50s early 60 ,going with my Dad down the A41 towards Broxton Island ABOUT 10 30 pm a summers night in front there was 2 of Davis bros side by side toawards the island A Leyland octopus 8 wheel flat loadedwith steel from Shotton ,in the old Brown colour and a long nose Scammell artic tanker ,I the Blue colour ,Neck in neck none going to give way one went round one side and the other the other side and still at it half way up other side till on comming traffic made one give way , What would health and saftey have to say about that , Just a bit of usless info of days gone by ,Cheers Barry

My dad Lew Sains used to work for Poulters in the 60’s. They had a lovely German Shepherd dog who I used to play with. Apparently the dog took a dislike to a tax man and gave him a mauling. I think somewhere I have photographs of Poulters lorries.
Louise

As I recall Lew went on to run that firm from Loughton doing Middle East, can’t remember what they was called. is he still about?

SUPERCUBE:
As I recall Lew went on to run that firm from Loughton doing Middle East, can’t remember what they was called. is he still about?

You are thinking of Mavertons. After a long chequered career and a dabble in property development - he wrecked his health with a descent into alcoholism and diabetes. Got involved with a scheming female and finished his days in Whipps Cross Hospital in 2011 dying from sepsis.
Louise