Charles mayor ltd preston

I am sure that member Alex Wignall will agree that as well as K P Iddon Leyland Mayor of Preston had a fabulous fleet of ERF etc and like Iddons unfortunatly now gone .

I do remember Mayors. Had their yard near Bowkers I think.

By the time I got back from working in Europe they were long gone.

Maroon livery and gold sign writing?

W

Just thinking on.

I think I remember a story that Charles Mayor was a Paratrooper in the war and that is why the trucks were maroon.

I know for certain that the Proprietor of A W Smith of Longton was a wartime Submariner and as hard as nails. If I was at home now I would be having a beer with his son Bill. (who is well known around the local quarries as ‘that ■■■■ in’t six wheeler’).

W

Hello.

Yes all post office red. Leo did run Seddons 400 and 401 to 411s. then got rid and got plastic pigs (ERFs). My mate paul worked there and painted them in house. I had left Iddons and then worked for Wrights Transport, Nick and Bob Wright right across form Mayors and did get lots of job offers Lol.

Regards

Peter

Ho. Iddons did buy a lot of Mayors units and driver come with them when Leo packed up. Leo did buy a few Ex Cannings motors may yrs ago.

Peter

Peter Wells:
Ho. Iddons did buy a lot of Mayors units and driver come with them when Leo packed up. Leo did buy a few Ex Cannings motors may yrs ago.

Peter

Ah, now I remember, the other shunter at Iddons was ex Mayors. He did the curtainsiders and I did the flats.

Mentioned something about Leo having a right temper…?

W

AlexWignall:

Peter Wells:

Peter

Ah, now I remember, the other shunter at Iddons was ex Mayors. He did the curtainsiders and I did the flats.

Mentioned something about Leo having a right temper…?

W

Well Leo could get upset lets say Lol. But there was drivers that was with him for yrs and yrs, but men did come a go lets say. Even the workshop staff and transport manage stayed there for as long as I can rember. My mate Paul and Gregg worked in the workshop for yrs. Gregg did leave in the end and started at Edmondsons in Preston to run the workshop for them.

Peter

greggs at lancashire daf now no idea where paul is

A very smart fleet, was’nt He Polish? I dunno why this popped into My head but it did. He subbed a bit out of Alcan Latchford off Harrington who’s yard I parked in. It made Me laugh as Harrington would buy Mayors lorries when He’d finished with them sometimes…

A few photos of Charles Mayor vehicles in service with K & P Iddon:

ZZ  G194LWX  (2).jpg

Thats them.

Cheers Welly.

fly sheet:
A very smart fleet, was’nt He Polish?

If I remember rightly, Leo (not his proper name) was actually Hungarian

240 Gardner:

fly sheet:
A very smart fleet, was’nt He Polish?

If I remember rightly, Leo (not his proper name) was actually Hungarian[/quot

I think is was Leo it was is last name that was a Hungarian name and I cant think for the life of me what it was.

Could of been eleelow of somthing like that, Leo Eleelow Ellio?

I know a man that will know,leave this with me.

Cheers Welly

Sorted got it off my mate Paul that worked in the Workshop.

Lajos Elo.

Welly

Found one with a proper trailer

shugg:
I am sure that member Alex Wignall will agree that as well as K P Iddon Leyland Mayor of Preston had a fabulous fleet of ERF etc and like Iddons unfortunatly now gone .

Agree and they are sadly missed . thank you Trevor .

From Mark Schofield’s excellent Flickr photostream (well worth a look):

JNL176X SEDDON ATKINSON 401 by Mark Schofield @ JB Schofield, on Flickr

I think that this motor might have been new to Pentleton & Hare

I’ve got to go back a long way and put in my impressions of what happened.

Charlie Mayor in the beginning had a couple of x military trucks and parked them round the back of Hardman Bros in Walton le Dale.

Diddy David (sorry I can’t remember his surname) was taken on and eventually the understanding was that he would take over the firm. Charlie Mayor then quietly sold out to Leo and a very disgruntled David left and started his recovery business from George Wrigley’s petrol station at the corner of Chorley Rd. in Walton.

Hard work always wins but sometimes a bit of luck could be useful.

I did get on with Leo and he even took me up in his aeroplane for a joyride. The swine gave me the stick and said " it’s all yours " The ensuing smell was quite strong !

Such is life !

Walton man:
I’ve got to go back a long way and put in my impressions of what happened.

Charlie Mayor in the beginning had a couple of x military trucks and parked them round the back of Hardman Bros in Walton le Dale.

Diddy David (sorry I can’t remember his surname) was taken on and eventually the understanding was that he would take over the firm. Charlie Mayor then quietly sold out to Leo and a very disgruntled David left and started his recovery business from George Wrigley’s petrol station at the corner of Chorley Rd. in Walton.

Hard work always wins but sometimes a bit of luck could be useful.

I did get on with Leo and he even took me up in his aeroplane for a joyride. Th swine gave me the stick and said " it’s all yours "

Such is life !

Which was Wrigley’s? Where the petrol station is now, opposite the end of Chorley Road? The name rings a vague bell. I used to work on the petrol pumps at Fred Coupe!

Yes. The petrol sation has now been rebuilt as a mini market.

How far back can you go ? Raffertys next door to the Bobby Peel where the pump pipes used to hang over the pavement onto the roadside ?

I feel really old now - must go and have a lie down.