CHARITY WORK!!

Does anyone know if you can you work for a charity without payment driving a van or car and also do your full time duties at work?? If not ? Why not? :unamused:

just do it, whoā€™s going to know?

Fair comment :wink:

I think (Iā€™m sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly) that the crucial wording is ā€œfor hire or rewardā€. However, Iā€™m sure that if you were working 10 hours a night then driving for 8 hours in the day as a volunteer, VOSA and the boys in blue would take a dim view in the event of an incedent.

I dont want to work night and day but just to work the odd shift when i have my weekly rest? Just wasnt sure how that stood with the authorities :unamused:

colin.f.whitetrans:
I dont want to work night and day but just to work the odd shift when i have my weekly rest? Just wasnt sure how that stood with the authorities :unamused:

Ayup,then why didnt you just ask the authorities :wink: ROG can probably spend a few pages on this with quotes from his bible. :wink: cheers Joe.

Im on constant nights and work w-ends and thought i would try here first as i know some one on here could direct me on the right direction. Thank you all for your replies

Reg Colin :smiley:

As others have said, Rog would know moreā€¦however 2 thoughts immediatly spring to mind

1ā€¦even though you are working voluntary, you would still need to get your minimum 45 hrs weekly rest in. even voluntary work is still work

2ā€¦Iā€™m assuming this voluntary work would be in a ā€œcompany car or vanā€ (all be it a different company to the day job) You would need to be very careful with this as it could be the same as driving a company vehicle (ie car) when you run out of hours.

provided you can get around (or hide)these, then there shouldnā€™t be any problems IMHO

colin.f.whitetrans:
Does anyone know if you can you work for a charity without payment driving a van or car and also do your full time duties at work?? If not ? Why not? :unamused:

sweetleaf:
ROG can probably spend a few pages on this with quotes from his bible. :wink:

Yes you can :smiley: - you are doing what you wish to in your own time.

The only problem there will ever be is if you drive anything over 7.5tonnes as a tacho will be required and you may need input from the site reg GURUs on that.

Exempt from EU rules.

Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum
permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes used for
the non-commercial carriage of goods.

Examples could include a person moving house
and goods carried by a non-profit making group
or registered charity.

One thing worth pointing out to you guys is that IF you do charity work, keep quiet about it if you end up on the Dole. I run a charity and one of the lads that help out (and has done so for many years), was made redundant and the kind folk at the DSS made his life a bloody misery because he did unpaid work. Comments like ā€œIā€™d like to do charity work while the government pays my bills for meā€ and ā€œIf you are working for charity that day, you are not looking for a job that dayā€, even ending up with ā€œIf you didnā€™t do that work for nothing, they would have to pay someone to do it, so you are effectively doing someone out of a jobā€, were the norm.
Obviously, I would never tell someone to lie when asked a question, just apply a little 'selective memory syndrome. :laughing:

DoYouMeanMe?:
One thing worth pointing out to you guys is that IF you do charity work, keep quiet about it if you end up on the Dole. I run a charity and one of the lads that help out (and has done so for many years), was made redundant and the kind folk at the DSS made his life a bloody misery because he did unpaid work. Comments like ā€œIā€™d like to do charity work while the government pays my bills for meā€ and ā€œIf you are working for charity that day, you are not looking for a job that dayā€, even ending up with ā€œIf you didnā€™t do that work for nothing, they would have to pay someone to do it, so you are effectively doing someone out of a jobā€, were the norm.
Obviously, I would never tell someone to lie when asked a question, just apply a little 'selective memory syndrome. :laughing:

If the time spent on the charity work whilst claiming is under 16 hours in any one week then that is acceptable under the benefit rules.

Rog.

Itā€™s much less than 16 hrs. Usually about 4 hrs a week and a bit of fund-raising maybe two days a year, but the attitude of the folk at the social is pretty unbelievable.
They asked this guy to go for a load of jobs at places that are miles away and not on bus routes and although he has a licence, he decided many years ago that he didnā€™t like driving and packed up driving altogether. (He also likes a drink or two, so IMO, he did the right thing)
When he asked the purpose of going for a job he couldnā€™t accept due to not being able to get there if they offered him a job they went mad because he pays for a taxi to get to the place where he does the charity work (we have a special deal with a taxi firm and they do the journey for Ā£2 per person each way) but wasnā€™t prepared to spend over Ā£20 a day to get to work and back, plus approx Ā£20 for each interview.
The guy was nearing retirement and had never been out of work in his life before!

The good news is that he got another job through a contact at the charity. A happy ending story to start the day with eh?

DoYouMeanMe?:
Rog.

Itā€™s much less than 16 hrs. Usually about 4 hrs a week and a bit of fund-raising maybe two days a year, but the attitude of the folk at the social is pretty unbelievable.

Just quote them their own rules if they are giving grief for doing under 16 hours a week charity work.

Many thanks thanks again for the replies guys, very usefull imformation :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Reg colin :smiley: