Charity drive v driving hours

Alrite Drive…

Question - I’m doing a favour next weekend, driving a truck (class 1) for charity in a local carnival. As I’m doing this on a day off (ie one of my weekly rest days), and it’s only going to be for a few hours max, can I get away with not “declaring it” so it won’t effect my driving hours (and therefore earnings!!!) as I pretty much max out my hours every week.

■■?

Cheers

Not for hire or reward, I.e you don’t earn a penny… Think your alright…

If it isn’t (for hire & or reward) then i wouldn’t see an issue,as in doing so you should not need to keep a record (tacho chart ect) of doing it, a bit like hiring out a 7.5tonner to do your own house move at the weekend really , infact probably comes under the same scope

as they used to say Just Do It

i am sorry but going to have to rain on your parade guys, if you drive any vehicle over 7.5 tonne you have to put a tacho in and it will go against any drive time you have for that week. the law on this changed several years ago. i know its not for hire or reward but because i suspect the vehicle is taxed and under a operators licence it will count,

they even changed the law for people that own horseboxes over 7.5 ton that never carry anything for hire and reward now have to use tacho’s.

that is one reason you don’t see many trucks in carnivals anymore because drivers can’t interupt their weekly breaks :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

wildfire:
i am sorry but going to have to rain on your parade guys, if you drive any vehicle over 7.5 tonne you have to put a tacho in and it will go against any drive time you have for that week. the law on this changed several years ago. i know its not for hire or reward but because i suspect the vehicle is taxed and under a operators licence it will count,

they even changed the law for people that own horseboxes over 7.5 ton that never carry anything for hire and reward now have to use tacho’s.

that is one reason you don’t see many trucks in carnivals anymore because drivers can’t interupt their weekly breaks :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

This ↑↑

Hire and reward has nothing to do with tachograph regulations any-more, it’s all about carrying goods which presumably you will be even thought he goods may be of the human variety.

Carrying goods can only be done for private use with tachograph exemption if the vehicle is no more than 7.5 tonnes.

I’ve searched for an exemption to the regulations that would cover your situation but as I expected was unable to find anything that will help you I’m afraid :frowning:

Whether or not you can get away without declaring it to your employer or anyone else depends on what type of tachograph your using I suppose :wink:

tachograph:

wildfire:

This ↑↑

Hire and reward has nothing to do with tachograph regulations any-more, it’s all about carrying goods which presumably you will be even thought he goods may be of the human variety.

Carrying goods can only be done for private use with tachograph exemption if the vehicle is no more than 7.5 tonnes.

I’ve searched for an exemption to the regulations that would cover your situation but as I expected was unable to find anything that will help you I’m afraid :frowning:

Whether or not you can get away without declaring it to your employer or anyone else depends on what type of tachograph your using I suppose :wink:

i knew i shouldn’t of put the bit in about hire and reward doh thanks for putting it right tacho, always depend on someone that can write better english than me lol :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Chances of VOSA (or anyone else) pulling over a carnival float?? :wink:

Lucky the local carnival/parade is still going. Many been cancelled due to stupid H&S rulings and outrageous insurance requirements. :imp:

Just do it!

the reality of the matter is this.
the EU regs say one thing, however the cps would not allow a prosecution as it isn’t in the public interest.
the papers would have a field day.
if you use the vehicle abroad after this, then it could be a different matter.
personally i’d just do it.

franklin:
Chances of VOSA (or anyone else) pulling over a carnival float?? :wink:

they brought in rules either last year or the year before that the floats that do the somerset curcit, the superbig ones that the drivers had to have c+e and that was to drive the tractor towing the muliply trailer combination, i know that the police have been taking details of any commercial vehicle that has been used in a carnival, so there is a good chance that the vehicle could be checked up on :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for your thoughts.

Its one of those awkward ones, you’re doing a freebie favour for charity which could come back and bite you. The paperwork (insurance & H&S) that I’ve had to fill out is a right pain the a***…!!

I’m probably going to go on the basis that I’ll put a tacho in (it’s an Analogue wagon… :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: ) to cover myself for the day, if by some million-to-one chance I get questioned, and if it works out I’m over my weekly hours, they’ll be charitable and understand.

I’ve done this on a few occassions now. Carnivals, proms, shows etc. I don’t dispute that a tacho should be used but at the same time i seriously doubt that any enforcement agency would give you a telling off for it! One letter to a local paper or a tabloid and said agency would be crucified!

However the day will come when some plank behind a desk puts a stop to it all due to health and safety matters. Personally i’d just crack on and do it, if that makes me sound un-professional, so be it! Everyone there will appreciate the fact you’re doing it and every kid there will want to hear those airhorns! :smiley: :sunglasses:

Meant to add this ages ago!!!

Carnival time… and an airhorn blast at the end

youtube.com/watch?v=-T0F8smtZr0

Slightly different subject, but I know a few years ago some VOSA bod was telling people that exhibiting a truck at Truckfest was ‘other work’ (business promotion).

It came at a time when they were going through one particular operator’s records, looking for as many offences as pos. I don’t know if it was recorded as an offence or not in the end. As often happens, the worried guy spoke to me about it, then I heard no more afterwards.

Herongate:
I’m probably going to go on the basis that I’ll put a tacho in (it’s an Analogue wagon… :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: ) to cover myself for the day, if by some million-to-one chance I get questioned, and if it works out I’m over my weekly hours, they’ll be charitable and understand.

If its an analogue then stick a disc in and then frisbee it on the way home! job done

It’s got to be well tiring, that - smiling a lot, waving to children and travelling at 4 mph.

Seriously?

Go for it - everybody loves a procession :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

There’s too many dix behind desks taking our innocent fun away.

Semtex:

Herongate:

If its an analogue then stick a disc in and then frisbee it on the way home! job done

+1 :smiley: :smiley: isn’t that what you are supposed to do anyway!!!