Charging the foreigners

here’s my solution to the free movement of foreign lorries on UK roads.

first idea:
we charge the foreign registered lorries according to how much they charge us.
french €100 per day
german €100 per day
italian €150 per day
dutch €8 per day
belgium €8 per day

■■?

second idea:
we have two types of road tax.
domestic £1300 per year.
domestic and european £2000 per year.
no more tolls, no more maut. just an easy system.

seems like yet another good idea from phil.
the amounts seem about equal to what uk trucks would pay in tolls on european roads
would also work well for me as a uk truck in spain would only pay about 3 euros between pamplona and tudela to go to most destinations in spain unless the driver chooses to use the peages which are no benefit in the rest of spain and i wouldn’t mind paying couple of pounds in the uk just to shut up the endless people who post on here about taxing us johnny foreigners
just a note to those who don’t know but only believe what they read in the press we pay roadtax on all vehicles in spain we just don’t need to have taxdiscs in the window as amazingly the police can check with a computer in an instant whether a vehicle is taxed or not, :open_mouth:
strange how they can’t do that in the uk :wink: :wink:

lets get tnuk to have a go in the next election and limeyphil can be our candidate :laughing:

limeyphil:
here’s my solution to the free movement of foreign lorries on UK roads.

first idea:
we charge the foreign registered lorries according to how much they charge us.
french €100 per day
german €100 per day
italian €150 per day
dutch €8 per day
belgium €8 per day

■■?

second idea:
we have two types of road tax.
domestic £1300 per year.
domestic and european £2000 per year.
no more tolls, no more maut. just an easy system.

The French and Italians do not charge us, the national roads are free. The Dutch and Belgians also pay their own €8 per day. Even the Germans pay the maut, so how would charging them benefit the haulage industry?

we pay tolls in almost every european country. whether it is with a vignette, maut, or peage.
so we should charge them the same as they charge us.
a day in belgium will cost €8.00, so that’s what we charge them. a day on a french motorway will cost about €100.00. so that’s what we charge them.

however my second idea is what we should have. one road tax for all european hauliers.

I think (someone may be able to check fully - I got bored with the process) that the charging of EU commercial vehicles working in another EU country is only allowable within the limits laid down by Brussels.
This broadly means whatever a visiting vehicle pays within the UK, has to be the same as the amount charged to operators operating within the UK.
The UK governement looked into this and decided (probably due to past incompetence)that it would cost more to have people at the docks raising charges and enforcing the legislation than would be raised in revenues!
We must always remember that British governments will continue to support EU rulings before its own people and industry.
Rant over.

Phil , I have brought the road charging issue up with my MP, who is Alistair Darling, his reply was " we do not want to upset our EU neighbours as we rely on them"

its been over 6 years since i drove a uk reg truck so i’m not sure how much the tax is but if the dutch and belgians are paying 8 euros a day thats about 40 a week or 2000 a year which seems a lot more than a uk 44tonner which is only a couple of hundred a year isn’t it?
maybe phils 2nd idea for such a large tax wouldn’t be that favourable then to a uk haulier?

you know,im totally with limeyphil,and as it seems the vast majority on this one.could not agree more.as soon as the foreign registered truck comes onto our soil,the reg number should be fed into a computer to see if the owner has paid a “uk vehicle tax”,if not it"s turned around and sent back.i also agree with the price,but believe it should be across the board.
i cannot believe that this and other goverments,who lets face it,are squeezing every penny they can out of anyone who resides in this country,that they havent latched onto the idea of how much money they can make to pay for the bird moats/houses,second homes,■■■■■ films etc,by taxing foreign trucks to use our road system.oh,and it will also hopefully level the competition playing field at the same time.
also,mods or eds.has this system ever been brought to the attention of the media through truck magazines.i think a campaign is called for to be honest.

welshboyinspain:
its been over 6 years since i drove a uk reg truck so i’m not sure how much the tax is but if the dutch and belgians are paying 8 euros a day thats about 40 a week or 2000 a year which seems a lot more than a uk 44tonner which is only a couple of hundred a year isn’t it?
maybe phils 2nd idea for such a large tax wouldn’t be that favourable then to a uk haulier?

no mate, it’s up to £1850.

limeyphil:

welshboyinspain:

no mate, it’s up to £1850.

1850 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: i honestly thought a 44t 6 axle on air was about 400ish

buck rogers:
you know,im totally with limeyphil,and as it seems the vast majority on this one.could not agree more.as soon as the foreign registered truck comes onto our soil,the reg number should be fed into a computer to see if the owner has paid a “uk vehicle tax”,if not it"s turned around and sent back.i also agree with the price,but believe it should be across the board.
i cannot believe that this and other goverments,who lets face it,are squeezing every penny they can out of anyone who resides in this country,that they havent latched onto the idea of how much money they can make to pay for the bird moats/houses,second homes,■■■■■ films etc,by taxing foreign trucks to use our road system.oh,and it will also hopefully level the competition playing field at the same time.
also,mods or eds.has this system ever been brought to the attention of the media through truck magazines.i think a campaign is called for to be honest.

part of your post i agee with about some sort of tax but uk hauliers are quite free to drive around france, spain, italy and some others without paying a penny as peages are an option not a must but the fact that the uk government has wasted road tax on other frivolities as you mentioned shouldn’t give them an excuse to raise taxes on other nationalities.
unfortunately if the press got hold of this then i can just imagine how those of us who don’t pay uk tax would be accused of paying no tax at all :frowning:

What has me being able to use Spanish roads for free when I dont go there, I pay to use our roads and so should everyone else that uses them

fuse:
What has me being able to use Spanish roads for free when I dont go there, I pay to use our roads and so should everyone else that uses them

if you read my earlier posts i agree that some sort of fairer tax system needs to be applied like limeyphil suggested but saying that all foreigners don’t pay tax is wrong and bringing some of these points to the attention of the press would only bring out certain scaremongering reports i think.

whilst a dutch truck is not in holland he is not paying tax but whilst a uk truck is not in the uk he still pays so theres a wrong situation which could easily be solved by only paying for the days that a uk truck is in the uk

I asked earlier what benefit this would be to the haulage industry?

Road tax is not ringfenced so the money doesn’t go into the infrastructure.

Be careful what you wish for, I believe the road tax in Holland for a Euro 3, 40 tonner on air suspension is €1332 on top of the Eurovignette of €8 per day. There is however a small trick which the Belgians do not condone :stuck_out_tongue: