chapman-ball

i saw one of there motors on destination doha an orange fiat/iveco are they still about or long gone
cheers carl :laughing:

don’t think they exist anymore, didn’t know they did M/E? They were in the East End off Mile End Rd. I think. My mate did Austria for them.

ado monty the part there motors in is when the astran drivers stop for a break in bulgaria so i suppose they could of been doin easton bloc.thanks for the reply mate :laughing:

Chapman & Ball were based at Sneyd hill Estate Stoke on Trent the m /d was â– â– â– â–  Chapman and his partner was Arnie Ball . they ran a fleet of bulk tippers on U/K work and about 10 units and 16 trailers plus up to 6 owner drivers doing mainly Eastern Bloc. Europe , and . Middle East.The main contract we had was with B A C in lancashire out to Dahran with ,spare parts and equipment to air bases. Transport Manager was Jack Corrie and his assistant was John Jones.Both were good guys to work with and very fair with the drivers, Jack went on to become the ;cor; in Litcor and towards the end of my time there we were merging with Woods of Salford and Jenkinsons who were then at Littleborough, We ended up doing fridge work to Poland and Yugoslavia re loading blackcurrants for Ribena or plums to the markets. then we started doing Portacabins out to all sorts of silly places , with extending trailers for the 60 foot cabins.in the end our units were being painted orange and white and Trans Border Group Of Companies logo on the sides.hope this puts record straight.

My brother Desert Driver and our father did 3 trips to middle east for them with a 5 1/2 year old 110 Scania day cab. When DD sees this he will probably add more and the pictures in their colours.

Carl:
i saw one of there motors on destination doha an orange fiat/iveco are they still about or long gone
cheers carl :laughing:

I think Bestbooties did a spell with them too. But Stoke for sure

top cat leek:
Chapman & Ball were based at Sneyd hill Estate Stoke on Trent the m /d was â– â– â– â–  Chapman and his partner was Arnie Ball . they ran a fleet of bulk tippers on U/K work and about 10 units and 16 trailers plus up to 6 owner drivers doing mainly Eastern Bloc. Europe , and . Middle East.The main contract we had was with B A C in lancashire out to Dahran with ,spare parts and equipment to air bases. Transport Manager was Jack Corrie and his assistant was John Jones.Both were good guys to work with and very fair with the drivers, Jack went on to become the ;cor; in Litcor and towards the end of my time there we were merging with Woods of Salford and Jenkinsons who were then at Littleborough, We ended up doing fridge work to Poland and Yugoslavia re loading blackcurrants for Ribena or plums to the markets. then we started doing Portacabins out to all sorts of silly places , with extending trailers for the 60 foot cabins.in the end our units were being painted orange and white and Trans Border Group Of Companies logo on the sides.hope this puts record straight.

Jack then went on to start and run Halcion Haulage until his death a year or two ago.

Hi boys
Top cat Leek, thanks for bringing Chapman And Ball back up again. As you know over the last couple of years I’ve asked if there are any photos about but very few turn up.Ian( Bestbooties) has come up with a few especially the Mack he used to drive.I have posted the couple I have quite a lot in a hope to flush out some more.I hope the regulars on here don’t mind if I do it again.

Regards Keith

Ben9:

top cat leek:

Jack then went on to start and run Halcion Haulage until his death a year or two ago.

I used to get back loads from a firm called Halcion Haulage a few years ago, ran light blue bulk tippers. Only delt with them over the phone, but always with a guy called Jack, would this be the same Jack as in your post?

Hi boys
Top Cat Leek, do you know what happened to John Jones?

Regards Keith

hello altitude and keith. yes, Halcion was run by the same Jack Corrie from Chapmans and Litcor fame. he ran Halcion along with another guy who,s name escapes me until his sad demise R.I.P. Keith, not sure about John Jones. somewhere deep in my old memory, i seem to recall he went running a firm in Cheshire, but i,m not sure. Surely someone on here will have some info on him sooner or later.Wherever he went he would create a likeable impact so lets see what comes up,I had some pics of your dad and me at Spielfeld border.he had your Scania and I had Volvo RWD 240 R with Chapmans tilts on. cannot remember where we were going but we had run together from u/k. They were good pics if i remember and its bugging me that i can;t find them, because pics from C and B appear to be very rare, I will keep searching and post as soon as they appear. i think i had about 6 or 8 of us so its worth the trouble, Iam pretty sure we took some in Belgrade when we had to stop and repair a return pipe on his Scania, Think it was return pipe anyway, regards, Terry

altitude:

Ben9:

top cat leek:

I used to get back loads from a firm called Halcion Haulage a few years ago, ran light blue bulk tippers. Only delt with them over the phone, but always with a guy called Jack, would this be the same Jack as in your post?

At a guess would say it was Jack Corrie, they were mostly on tippers.
Could have had an office bod called Jack I suppose.

Hi wheel nut, you,re right about bestbooties at Chapmans, he was there for 2 or 3 years i,m not sure. When working on those jobs it was quite rare to be in the yard at the same time as many of the others. i was at Chapmans with Ian for quite some time and i was still there when he went to Litcor.If anyone had a problem with paperwork or anything Jack would say ; ask Ian ; He was a highly respected member of the team and certainly had more knowledge than most of the others.Sorry to blow his trumpet, but he really was the guy to run with …especially if you had problems at some of the borders. or mechanical failures,as his experience at Fiats of Stoke gave him superior knowledge to us self taught ten a penny fitters of that time , But we always managed to get back, regardless of how serious the problem ,regards Terry.

Ben9 and top cat leek thanks for the info on Jack, bad news but there you go. I never had the pleasure of meeting Jack, but we always had a laugh over the phone in the years that I delt with him. RIP Jack.

Hiya…going back looonnnnggg ago Chapman and Ball was a big spoke on the Winsford rock salt job. they run tippers out of Summerford
nr Congleton and anyone getting loads of salt went through 2 or 3 agents and one was C and B. They then got into the european work.
there was another firm called Smallwood transport just up the road that was doing European work and Carmans not far away so they might
have started by doing work for them. Smallwood transport that has not been mentioned was quite big on the sceen possibly M/E.( are there
any pikkies around).I think Mr Sanderson of the Foden fame may know somthing as Smallwood tsp always run Fodens and came from the same
Village.
John

3300John:
Hiya…going back looonnnnggg ago Chapman and Ball was a big spoke on the Winsford rock salt job. they run tippers out of Summerford
nr Congleton and anyone getting loads of salt went through 2 or 3 agents and one was C and B. They then got into the european work.
there was another firm called Smallwood transport just up the road that was doing European work and Carmans not far away so they might
have started by doing work for them. Smallwood transport that has not been mentioned was quite big on the sceen possibly M/E.( are there
any pikkies around).I think Mr Sanderson of the Foden fame may know somthing as Smallwood tsp always run Fodens and came from the same
Village.
John

Hi 3300John, IIRC I think the transport firm in Smallwood was called Jones. They ran dark blue motors mainly Fodens with the sleeper conversions and they did send them to the Middle east a few times. One of my friends fathers did a couple of runs for them - Stan Wilson. He went back to Beresfords soon after.

Steve

Hi All

Am I correct in saying Billy Ham drove for this company ? I am sure he drove a Mack ? He always said it was his truck
as He was an owner driver, Bit of an oddbod was Billy with his false leg but better not speak ill of the dead

Regards

top cat leek:
Hi wheel nut, you,re right about bestbooties at Chapmans, he was there for 2 or 3 years i,m not sure. When working on those jobs it was quite rare to be in the yard at the same time as many of the others. i was at Chapmans with Ian for quite some time and i was still there when he went to Litcor.If anyone had a problem with paperwork or anything Jack would say ; ask Ian ; He was a highly respected member of the team and certainly had more knowledge than most of the others.Sorry to blow his trumpet, but he really was the guy to run with …especially if you had problems at some of the borders. or mechanical failures,as his experience at Fiats of Stoke gave him superior knowledge to us self taught ten a penny fitters of that time , But we always managed to get back, regardless of how serious the problem ,regards Terry.

Thanks for those kind words Terry.
I worked for C & B for a couple of years before they got into trouble and some of us were taken on by Jenkinsons but it was a waste of time.
I did a couple of runs to Poland,then I was just getting another job when Jack Corrie rang me to say he was starting a new firm up,Litcor,in partnership with Jeff Litwin.
We started off doing what Jack knew best,tipper work,mostly from B.J.Waters from Matlock,including some work tipping in Holland and reloading iron ore from Germany.
We then got a job for ICI running fibre out to a carpet factory in Greece,then did a few m/e runs,but with those half sleeper cab Mercs it was not pleasant.
I got a break when Jeff asked me to fly out to Turin to collect an almost new F12 that was on it’s way home from the m/e and the driver had broken his ankle just after reloading in Turin.I then kept with the F12 until things went pear shaped over the other matter.
Again I was lucky,just as I was finishing for SI as it became part of,Expo Freight were advertising and I landed a job on there.
Jack Corrie died less than a year ago,I saw John Jones at his funeral but didn’t get enough time to find out what he’s doing now.
Also at Jack’s funeral was Kenny Hawkesworth,an ex Litcorand C & B driver who was also at the last reunion and will be at the next one on April 10th.
We are hoping that Ray Bailey will also make it to this one,would be nice if you could make it Terry!
I related quite a bit about Billy Hamm on another thread somewhere on this BB.I flew out to Belgrade to recover the Mack when Billy finished up in hospital in suspicious circumstances.He never worked for C & B again,or anyone else I think.When I got the Mack home,â– â– â– â–  Chapman asked me if I wanted to keep it!
I declined as I thought that apart from the engine,it was a heap of ■■■■!Billy Hamm thought it was the dog’s ■■■■■■■■ and that he was the only man that knew how to drive it.
Yes I did a few repairs for all the firms I worked for,as a former truck fitter I was regarded as an asset by most firms.
I remember changing the clutch on the FIAT of Paul Smith on the Telex truck park when I took him on his first trip.
I also fitted new gear selector forks on the F88 of Bill McDonald down by the Dead Sea in Jordan after he busted them down Dammam way and got towed across Saudi by Tony Kahn.
I rebuilt the top end of a Scania 111 for Expo Freight when she dropped a valve on the Tapline in Saudi.
I have several pics of C & B,but unfortunately none of my own
The ones I have were sent to me by Truckerash and I’m not sure of the copyright situation with them,I’m not sure if Truckerash knows where the pics originated from.

SSPROS1965:

3300John:
Village.
John

Hi 3300John, IIRC I think the transport firm in Smallwood was called Jones. They ran dark blue motors mainly Fodens with the sleeper conversions and they did send them to the Middle east a few times. One of my friends fathers did a couple of runs for them - Stan Wilson. He went back to Beresfords soon after.

Hiya Steve…that name Jones would’nt come to me. I think it maybe said smallwood tsp somewhere possibly on the tilts.but the darkblue Fodens is spot on… .
I was out your way 12 months ago i spent 3 weeks in Nelsprit then poped up to the brother in laws in Kitwee for another 9 wks. I’ve never see so many ERFs and i worked at the factory…VERY nice climate out their mate.
John

hello sgt major. Billy Hamm .was an employee of Chapman &Ball, as for the Mack it was a piece of s/// after Billy finished ■■? Ian Taylor had it I had it and i think Dave Ketterick had it . no one did more than one trip on it … It was the most uncomfortable lorry i have ever driven, Very powerful, it would pull a house side down, ,but, such a bad driving position ,it was unbelievable… the sleeper and bunk were second to none, but thats the end of the praise. how Billy used to get in and out of it beggars belief, but believe me he did have an artificial leg …Billy had a real infatuation with that lorry like a son/ mother relationship. thats why he used to tell everyone it was his own truck…He was a good worker and knew what he was talking about .so, everyone let it go by,The Fiat 619 s we had and the Volvo s we had were far more economical and reliable, than the Mack, on the work we were doing Whatever you hear about C & B they were always fine with me… O / K i was away for many weeks at a time,but my driver mates were earning one third of my wages and no challenge to their jobs, It was a very good job, that i loved doing , at that time, Wish they were still here now… regards. Terry