Changing your job

How many drivers have changed ther job either another company or totally different job then wished they hadn’t or was it the best move you made with no regrets

ME
I left ASDA in 1999 due to a bad divorce and depression, after 8 months I went into train as a staff nurse(after being helped throughout my dark days by a nurse), I’ve missed being a HGV driver, from 2000-2002 worked 2-3 days a week driving, from 2002-2005 did 2 days a week driving, 2005-2011 have driven only 11 times, for the last 3 years have been trying to get back behind the wheel but only have 4 times in that time, OOHH I think I messed up, big time, I’ve tried to get back to ASDA since 2000, I keep getting passed over, would love to get back full time but il have to settled as an agency driver, ( although I do like my Nursing job, the money is great and I only work 3 days a week,) but I would give it all to to get back into ASDA. : - )

Left tesco 4 years ago, best move I ever made, worst job I ever had, wasn’t the money it was the totally antisocial hours and stupid managers who were out to make themselves look good despite most of them not even having an HGV licence, goodbye and good riddance

fizza:
How many drivers have changed ther job either another company or totally different job then wished they hadn’t or was it the best move you made with no regrets

yes,i left corby and went to innovate,bad move :stuck_out_tongue:

Never regretted making a change… and made plenty in my younger days! (before wife, kids and mortgage)
Even when changing to a job that wasn’t all that was promised , it was always a new experience.
Sadly I don’t think that many can take that kind of risk nowadays

Hi all.Maybe not really relevant as i live abroad,but.During the past 35yrs i’ve worked in the UK,Holland and Canada driving Europe,M.E.and everywhere in between.As with most of us i have worked for fantastic companies,also the bottom of the barrel.I’ve made both good and bad moves[this is life]
Since i made the decision to move up here to Lappland and stop driving long distance this was one of the best decisions of my life.Inow drive a 50ton tipper in a mine.Driving 7days then 7days free for €2200 netto per month with 2 weeks free each month to ‘‘live life’’.But,each to his own.Mike

I stopped Truck Driving in '04 to sell off road bikes with my mate.

I had a Ducato van and did many trips to Holland and Belguim to collect bikes (not so much fun when you pay for your own fuel and ferries). I had a great time selling bikes made loads of friends and helped keep a sound little buisness afloat which was really rewarding.

By the end of '08 things got a bit slow so I offered to leave my side of the buisness to my Mate and go back driving trucks. It wasn’t just that things were slow it was more to do that my hobby had become my job and it just wasn’t fun anymore.

My mate is still doing okay but I’m glad to be an employed truck driver again. No hassle or awkward phone calls just do my work and somebody pays me every Thursday. I leave the Scrambling to Sundays and if it rains… I stay at home.

W

I left TDG six weeks ago and im chuffed i did,the best move ive made :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Good timing !!! I’m in a decent , easy enough job at the moment but have the urge to move BIG time elsewhere , It would be a risky move in many ways but cannot get the idea out of my head . Been in current job 6 1/2 years , the longest strech I’ve ever done at the same place . Do I jump or stay safe ■■? mmmmmm :stuck_out_tongue:

hutpik:
Hi all.Maybe not really relevant as i live abroad,but.During the past 35yrs i’ve worked in the UK,Holland and Canada driving Europe,M.E.and everywhere in between.As with most of us i have worked for fantastic companies,also the bottom of the barrel.I’ve made both good and bad moves[this is life]
Since i made the decision to move up here to Lappland and stop driving long distance this was one of the best decisions of my life.Inow drive a 50ton tipper in a mine.Driving 7days then 7days free for €2200 netto per month with 2 weeks free each month to ‘‘live life’’.But,each to his own.Mike

This sounds like the perfect life… :grimacing:

I left my job at DHL after 11 years to go to R.Swain and Sons in Rochester. Best move ever! Can’t believe I left it so long to go, nice people to work with, better hours, less travelling and more respect from senior managers and directors. Plus a month after I left I found out that DHL lost the contract I was on and they were all getting made redundant, timing was just right it seems!

im just about to change jobs in the next couple of weeks, ive been driving tippers for the last 5 years, but the work seems to be slowing down and most days the transport manager is scratching around for work,
ive got myself a full time position at a supermarket driving class1, i must admit that im quite scared of changing jobs as ive become quite comfy at my current job, but with the risk of winter lay-offs looming and a mortgage to pay not to mention a wife and child to provide for i think i have to make a move to what will hopefully be a more secure position (if there is such a thing nowadays). wish me luck!

i’ve had loads of jobs with the reoccuring pattern of tractor driver / truckdriver , & have to say none have been down to the job as to why i left , more really that i just fancied a change after a year or two , only one job i had to change , & that was milk tankers ,the 24/7 365 days for the year industry wrecked my relationship with the wife , so once she’d left with the kids i knew i had to change , a short time on ANC parcels & a chance phone call to a friend got me back on bulk feeds & been here for last 5 years now.

for me none of my job changes have been regretful as i wouldn’t be where i am now :slight_smile:
also i can honestly say that from 1986 when i left school i have never left a job without another to go straight into

I sorta ‘fell out’ of road haulage nearly 25 years ago, when I accidentally ‘fell into’ the fire service (with a little push from wifey :slight_smile:)
Anyways, come midnight on 2nd Nov, I will have served 25 years, and am taking retirement and ‘falling back’ into road haulage.
TBH, I have driven artics on a casual basis most the time I have been a fireman, so I have always kept my hand in.
I am looking forward to a new chapter in my life :wink:

TBH, I have driven artics on a casual basis most the time I have been a fireman, so I have always kept my hand in

…and helped to keep a driver out of work

del949:

TBH, I have driven artics on a casual basis most the time I have been a fireman, so I have always kept my hand in

FFS that old chestnut again, cant we have a topical discussion without some trying to take the moral high ground :imp:

I have just changed my job, started my new job last Monday. Was working for Headlam group in Coleshill o complaints about them to be honest decent money, decent trucks was just on the same run every day and got bored although on a nice sunny day the views in the welsh valleys are amazing.

I am now working for Bentons Haulage and so far so good. Am doing flatbed work delivering wooden frames to building sites and I am loving it, again decent money, decent trucks, decent bosses am well happy.

del949:

oops! touched a sore spot :slight_smile:

im looking at chaniging but have to becareful with the pay, but all the times i have moved never regretted it apart from going to walon (now autologic) worse company i have ever worked for but thats it.

I don’t know if that counts: I Left Hebrides Haulage for Ecosse World Express.

I loved the Hebridean work, but I wasn’t able to copy with heavy lifting. So the european 7.5t driving sounded reasonable. But after few weeks they changed their mind and employed some Romanian subcontractors so they not needed so much drivers any more. So last to come - first to go.

See - I can join you in this “bloody Eastern Europeans stole my job” thing! :slight_smile:

And as I was left with nothing, credit crunch was just about to start I had to take whatever there was on the market and this is how I landed in McLellan’s Transport - the worst place ever.